Black spots in headlights?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Cuboirs

Black spots in headlights?

PostSun Nov 25, 2012 4:01 am

In Rick young's new video at around 1:35 there's a shot of cars headlights displaying black spots,is this fixable through firmware updates ? I'm hoping someone from BMD can shed some light on this to see if its already being worked on!

Michael Sandiford

Re: Black spots in headlights?

PostSun Nov 25, 2012 6:57 am

Check this thread out viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2398

Rick Young

PostSun Nov 25, 2012 1:46 pm

Hi Everyone

I've got this one worked out.

I had been using DaVinci Resolve 9 BETA as this is what shipped with the camera when I received this in August.

I upgraded this to Resolve 9 the full release. On highlights in the image occasionally black spots and artifacts would appear on output from Resolve.

Then - on reading around the web - someone commented the issue goes way if you upgrade to Mountain Lion.

I did this and the problem has entirely disappeared.

This is definitely NOT a problem with the Blackmagic Cinema Camera, the sensor, or anything to do with the camera.

It is a software issue when using Resolve and outputting - the problem is totally cured by upgrading to Mountain Lion. I am now running OSX 10.8.2.

Cheers - unfortunately I didn't notice the black dots in headlights until after the piece was live.

Catch you all soon,

Rick

Jesuan Soriano

PostSun Nov 25, 2012 2:38 pm

So those black spots are DR9 fault?? not the camera?? And if so, what about windows users? could somebody help to solve this problem please??? :) :geek:

Jesus
Jesus Soriano

Bill Rich

PostSun Nov 25, 2012 2:41 pm

Well this video also suffers from the black clipping effect.. and this was processed in Lightroom.. not Resolve.
Bill Rich
PhotoJournalist/Editor/Producer
Los Angeles, California

matthijsliethof

PostSun Nov 25, 2012 2:44 pm

Also in the other topic someone confirmed the black spots to be visible on the camera lcd, doesn't that mean firmware?

Bill Rich

PostSun Nov 25, 2012 2:48 pm

Yes.. John MacFadyen confirmed in the other "Black Spot" thread that he has the latest firmware on his BMCC and it does occur in camera and is visible in the LCD.. I wonder if it also occurs when shooting in ProRes?

EDIT: I remember back in the day of tube cameras shooting the sun or super bright objects would create severe (we called it) "burned-in" effects to the tubes. So back in the day you had to compose your shots carefully to make sure you didn't ruin the shot or the tubes. Then early CCD cameras had severe "Smearing" or streaking on light sources.. so again you had to compose your shots carefully..
Luckily you can see these effects while shooting..

I'm sure BMD is well aware of this and is "On it"
Bill Rich
PhotoJournalist/Editor/Producer
Los Angeles, California

Cuboirs

PostSun Nov 25, 2012 3:06 pm

Rick Young wrote:Hi Everyone

I've got this one worked out.

I had been using DaVinci Resolve 9 BETA as this is what shipped with the camera when I received this in August.

I upgraded this to Resolve 9 the full release. On highlights in the image occasionally black spots and artifacts would appear on output from Resolve.

Then - on reading around the web - someone commented the issue goes way if you upgrade to Mountain Lion.

I did this and the problem has entirely disappeared.

This is definitely NOT a problem with the Blackmagic Cinema Camera, the sensor, or anything to do with the camera.

It is a software issue when using Resolve and outputting - the problem is totally cured by upgrading to Mountain Lion. I am now running OSX 10.8.2.

Cheers - unfortunately I didn't notice the black dots in headlights until after the piece was live.

Catch you all soon,

Rick

Hey Rick ,so im using snow leopard does this mean ill will experience this? If so is BMD working on correcting this? Is it even fixable?

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostSun Nov 25, 2012 4:53 pm

Cuboirs wrote:Hey Rick ,so im using snow leopard does this mean ill will experience this? If so is BMD working on correcting this? Is it even fixable?

Hi Cuboirs: As noted above, more than one BMCC user has reported that this issue is visible on the camera's LCD.

It's possible there are two issues, one in camera, the other in computer software. Hasn't been confirmed.

The in-camera issue is likely fixable via firmware. My guess is that the firmware needs to convert clipped pixels to white. That doesn't seem like it would too difficult to do, but who knows.

If there is also a separate issue involving computer software, whether it can be fixed or not depends on what the issue is. If, for example, it's a Quicktime bug related to an older version of the Mac OS, etc., then that's something Apple will need to address. But it's also possible this issue (if it exists at all) may become a moot point if the camera issue is addressed.

Perhaps the next BMCC firmware is already planned to include this fix. Here's hoping. Cheers.

Rick Young

PostSun Nov 25, 2012 6:42 pm

Here is the info. which helped me sort out the problem.

http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=473

Seems upgrading to Mountain Lion fixes the issue.

Not sure if this is even a problem on Windows - and I definitely have not seen this in-camera (not even once!).

Catch you all soon,

Rick

Rick Young

PostSun Nov 25, 2012 6:47 pm

And again...

Further to what I just wrote - if you do want to upgrade to Mountain Lion - one user has suggested slowing down the render speeds in Resolve to fix the problem.

More info. at: http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/277/19164

If you are seeing this issue rest assured it can be fixed. Since upgrading to Mountain Lion I have not seen the problem at all. If you do not wish to upgrade - then slow down the rendering, is the suggestion.

Catch you all soon,

Rick

Kholi Hicks

PostSun Nov 25, 2012 7:01 pm

I've never heard of this issue being tethered to an operating system, so I'm not saying it's not the right solution.

But from very early RED days (when I first learned about it) it was the sensor being overloaded, and fixable with a firmware update. Maybe what they've done is actually implemented a way for Resolve to auto-detect it and fix it?

Again, not sure about the operating system thing, that sounds a bit weird. It's definitely on the screen when you shoot and definitely in the footage no matter what computer you look at it on, but maybe we're talking about something different?

Never sawr it as a big deal, either way. I'm sure they're working on it and it'll be fixed in due time.
Kholi Hicks

Return to Cinematography