ergocine rig

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

muratcangokce

ergocine rig

PostThu Nov 29, 2012 10:22 pm

Did you ever hear Ergocine?
Two buddies made a rig influenced by Aaaton LTR and it seemed to me quite ergonomic and impressive. then I looked up their website to find their prices and I've shocked! It is brutally overpriced for me!... Their kit for Ergocine Lion (the one which could work with BMCC) is priced 1600USD.

And I just wondered a few thing about it.
How did they mount rods to it and how safer they are with weight of camera, handles other accesorises as such as maybe a follow focus ? Wouldn't they break?
How they mount the magicarm to tophandle to use an external monitor or EVF? Is it trusty?
Would be it done by any carpenter?
Is there anyway of attach a v mount battery on it?

Some photos: http://ergocine.blogspot.com/p/images.html
www.muratcan.film

Michael Sandiford

Re: ergocine rig

PostThu Nov 29, 2012 10:59 pm

Wood and glue is incredibly strong. I used to be a carpenter and built structures that had to take huge amounts of stress. Hardwoods like Sapele, Mahogony and Ash and especially Ironwood, I would trust over any aluminium or composite metal construction. Their heartwood is dense yet has a lot more give to them before they would fail.

muratcangokce

PostThu Nov 29, 2012 11:09 pm

they made them from walnut and cherry... do you think ash or ironwood could be a better choice? I think they made it on cnc.
www.muratcan.film

Michael Sandiford

PostFri Nov 30, 2012 8:24 am

muratcangokce wrote:they made them from walnut and cherry... do you think ash or ironwood could be a better choice? I think they made it on cnc.

Walnut and cherry are fine for this size of rig and the amount of weight being used. hey can easily take the strain. You could build one out of chipboard at this size but it will eventually ruin. Ash and Ironwood would be incredibly strong but quite a bit of overkill and in terms of fabrication. Ironwood is a nightmare to work with as it is so tough. You could just as easily make your own then purchase one of theirs. Go down to a local woodshop in your area, show him the ergocine and then if you have your own design show him that and get him to cost it up. You should find it will be for a lot less, even down to a quarter of the price. the metal rods, cheese plates and bushes for 1/4 20 screws can all be picked up for less than £50. The wood I estimate to be around the same cost. It is 3 layers glued together so he would be able to make it from a single thick and wide plank. All you'd have to pay him for is his time then on top of that.

muratcangokce

PostFri Nov 30, 2012 10:33 am

Michael Sandiford wrote:
muratcangokce wrote:they made them from walnut and cherry... do you think ash or ironwood could be a better choice? I think they made it on cnc.

Walnut and cherry are fine for this size of rig and the amount of weight being used. hey can easily take the strain. You could build one out of chipboard at this size but it will eventually ruin. Ash and Ironwood would be incredibly strong but quite a bit of overkill and in terms of fabrication. Ironwood is a nightmare to work with as it is so tough. You could just as easily make your own then purchase one of theirs. Go down to a local woodshop in your area, show him the ergocine and then if you have your own design show him that and get him to cost it up. You should find it will be for a lot less, even down to a quarter of the price. the metal rods, cheese plates and bushes for 1/4 20 screws can all be picked up for less than £50. The wood I estimate to be around the same cost. It is 3 layers glued together so he would be able to make it from a single thick and wide plank. All you'd have to pay him for is his time then on top of that.

thank a lot! they are very helpful tips!
www.muratcan.film

Eric Santiago

PostFri Nov 30, 2012 1:03 pm

saw these on the reduser site.
love the look but I would like to see a camera on it with someone holding it.

Michael Sandiford

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 7:32 am

sinclair67 wrote:they provided all of them through pine as well as cherry... think ash as well as ironwood might be a better option? I believe they made that on cnc.

They probably do make them on a CNC for production but there's nothing there that can't be made in a workshop with just a hacksaw, drill, clamps, glue and screws . Ironwood is total overkill and will blunt blades quicker than anything. The main piece is 3 boards connected together. The rods run through and connect to the shoulder plate. If you have to go for hardwoods some of the tropicals like Sapele and Idigbo are fantastic but bad for ecological reasons. Local pine and redwood, the type you'd find at your local hardware stores (BandQ Uk, Home Depot USA etc) would be fine for first builds and be able to take the weight. You will though have to watch for bending and warping over time. You have to watch for this with all woods, but the softwoods are worse for it.

Return to Cinematography