Colour Science ?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Felix Steinhardt

Colour Science ?

PostMon Aug 27, 2012 10:45 pm

Hi,

I just wondered about colour science of the RAW files. Another well known camera manufacturer always states how good their colour science improved over time (gamma, color mode) and I´ve also used to select a profile for my DSLR in Adobe camera RAW (adobe standard, camera standard, vivid etc.)

With the BMCC it´s unclear for me what colour science, gamma curve is used when I open a dng. In ACR it just says "embedded" an conversions to Cineform RAW result in an uncorrected image (more green photosites on the sensor) with a green cast. In every program the RAWs look different.

I wonder if we get everything out of the RAW files when the gamma and colourspace is not correctly set in the first place.

Felix Steinhardt

Re: Colour Science ?

PostTue Aug 28, 2012 1:32 pm

Maybe I didn´t explain it well enough.

I give an example: When I make a RAW still with my Nikon D7000 and put it into ACR, it first shows as Adobe Standad profile. Colours are not good with this profile. Reds and greens look totally "wrong". I switch to the camera neutral profile Adobe made together wit Nikon and everything comes into place. Colours look great.

When the dngs look different in every application due to interpretation, that can´t be good. There should be a possibility to make them look like black magic wants them to look, like they look if you record prores or dnx where they have to bake in their own colour science.

Nick Bedford

PostWed Aug 29, 2012 12:19 am

Canon RAWs look different in different raw processors (Lightroom/ACR, CaptureOne, Canon DPP).

There's nothing more to this than that the raw development software is interpreting and manipulating the sensor data in different ways.
Nick Bedford, Photographer
http://www.nickbedford.com/

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Aug 29, 2012 12:54 am

Yes, but canon raw's don't appear as wildly different in various apps as this:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22&start=110#p1034
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

John Brawley

PostWed Aug 29, 2012 1:09 am

We're talking about two things though.

1. How are the colours rendered by the sensor.

2. How those images are displayed by default in the various applications that can open DNG's. (they all have the same data in the file)

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Phillip Mortimer

PostWed Aug 29, 2012 3:15 am

As the camera shoots DNGs you should be able to create your own colour profile. Useful if your NDs are not totally neutral, or if you are using mixed light sources. You will need to record a few frames of a target such as the ColorChecker or ColorChecker Passport from X-Rite http://xritephoto.com/ph_product_overview.aspx?catid=28. You can then create a colour profile using X-Rite's calibration software (free download from their site).

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Aug 29, 2012 4:19 am

John Brawley wrote:2. How those images are displayed by default in the various applications that can open DNG's. (they all have the same data in the file)

Yep, i'm still surprised by Resolve's default. Any chance you think they'll work on that John? I still don't understand why all the DNG's i've tried from the BM camera in Resolve have had the wb set at 6500k and ignored the metadata. Is it just me? No one has replied to that question.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Aug 29, 2012 7:39 am

CaptainHook wrote:
John Brawley wrote:2. How those images are displayed by default in the various applications that can open DNG's. (they all have the same data in the file)

Yep, i'm still surprised by Resolve's default. Any chance you think they'll work on that John? I still don't understand why all the DNG's i've tried from the BM camera in Resolve have had the wb set at 6500k and ignored the metadata. Is it just me? No one has replied to that question.

Hi,

We are looking into this right now.

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Aug 29, 2012 8:26 am

Awesome thanks! I just sent in an email with a couple of minor resolve bugs i've had and included this, so sorry for that double up! The Blackmagic team are doing a great job with their presence and responses on here, thank you VERY much!

Return to Cinematography