Pocket Camera only recorded sound. Dropped ALL the frames?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Nick Smith

Pocket Camera only recorded sound. Dropped ALL the frames?

PostFri Jan 23, 2015 1:52 pm

I'm shooting a project with on a pocket camera with the latest firmware. Shooting raw on 64Gb 95MB/s sandisk extreme pro cards.

Today, when looking through the footage that I shot, I realised that on about 5 takes, there was no frame data on the card, just the wav file for sound. The sound seems to have come out completely normally, yet there isn't a single frame of image data. On the same card, there's about 3 takes before this that have come out with image data, and 2 takes afterwards.

So is this just an extreme form of frame dropping, where it managed to drop ALL the frames? Or is something else to blame?

lionel lemay

Re: Pocket Camera only recorded sound. Dropped ALL the frame

PostFri Jan 23, 2015 2:10 pm

hi Nick. Is it the up date 2.0?

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

Wolfgang Winne

PostFri Jan 23, 2015 4:02 pm

Me too ! F...
Handcrafted in Germany: www.handmade-audio.de

wolfgang

PostFri Jan 23, 2015 4:14 pm

2.0.0 firmware?

Wolfgang Winne

PostFri Jan 23, 2015 4:46 pm

2.0.0 firmware?

Yes, BMPCC.

Back to Firmware 1.9.8 and RAW is O.K.

Ollie Treadwell

PostFri Jan 23, 2015 4:50 pm

I urge anyone reading this....Please either test new updates or wait for others to trial and test them before shooting anything critical.
When creativity meets technology

Mac Jaeger

PostFri Jan 23, 2015 9:24 pm

Thanks for the warning, guys! I'm out for a shoot this weekend, and was excited to see the 2.0 firmware out just today; yet while i was downloading the update i came to read the forums... now i'll wait until next week, or until it's confirmed fixed.

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Jan 24, 2015 6:51 am

Ok, we're to able to reproduce this yet. Can you provide more information? What frame rate is it?

Nick Smith

PostSat Jan 24, 2015 9:12 am

It was at 25fps. I also noticed that the issue seemed to have started when the camera was rebooted. It was working fine for the first couple of takes, then it was switched off. When it was switched on again, that's when the problems happened and it only recorded audio. Then it was switched off again, and when turned on a third time, the issues were no more and the last couple of takes were fine.

Wolfgang Winne

PostSat Jan 24, 2015 9:58 am

Formart the SD card with the firmware 2 in the pocket. For me it has helped, RAW runs now without problems under Firmware 2. :geek:

Anders Holck

PostSun Jan 25, 2015 5:31 pm

I'm about to update my BMPCC. Is this still a problem or can I update my BMPCC and then in worse case format my SD card and count on a working condition?

Regards,
Anders
==============

BlackMagic URSA mini 4.6K EF & BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera
Sony FDR-AX100 & Canon EOS 5D Mark II
Still and video

Justin Litton

PostTue Jan 27, 2015 3:46 am

I am on an URSA shoot this week and I can add that the 2.0 firmware has caused serious issues with recording to both of our cards. I'm shooting 23.98fps 4K RAW 3:1 onto Sandisk 128GB Cfast 2.0 Cards. Both cards, formatted in HFS+, were fine at the start of day, but ended up failing at random times. The first card failed after only four shots that totaled less than 3 minutes total, and the second card failed after it was 1/3 full. They were in different slots. The first card was so messed up that I was unable to format it in camera and at this point I'm still unable to format it even in a computer. It won't even show up when I stick it in the camera or the computer. The second card also would't format in the camera or on the computer, but after downgrading the URSA back to the 1.9.10 firmware I was able to format it in camera and can write to the card. I filled it up with no problem. So, this does seem to be an issue with firmware v2.0. I never experienced any issues before, and having our shoot halted for half a day because both of our cards stopped working in the camera was a huge issue and obviously a serious setback for us. I'll be sticking to 1.9.10 for now and I'm really hoping I can get this other card working again somehow.

Anders Holck

PostTue Jan 27, 2015 7:54 am

Justin, Right. Guess I'll wait as well. Seems like it's just a few affected.
==============

Still and video

rick.lang

PostTue Jan 27, 2015 5:46 pm

Anderson, Justin's post is about the URSA so it likely doesn't apply to the BMPCC. Wolfgang's post above does include a solution to the problem on the BMPCC.

Rick Lang
Sent using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostTue Jan 27, 2015 5:47 pm

Deleted duplicate post... Tapatalk gave me an error so I thought it hadn't posted.

Rick Lang
Sent using Tapatalk HD
Last edited by rick.lang on Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Lang

Anders Holck

PostTue Jan 27, 2015 10:24 pm

rick.lang wrote:Anderson, Justin's post is about the URSA so it likely doesn't apply to the BMPCC. Wolfgang's post above does include a solution to the problem on the BMPCC.

Rick Lang
Sent using Tapatalk HD

Rick, I could see that but same software and both cams have issues, right? And one person gave something that solved it for him so I'm asking for more input from others if this is a solution or not.

I can read ;)

//A
==============

Still and video

rick.lang

PostWed Jan 28, 2015 4:54 am

Anders, it is very likely that the software on the different camera models can have some differences while intended to support the same functionality. That's my assumption until BMD categorically affirms the software routines for a given function are always identical across models. Why do I claim that? Based on my experience in a career in software development. You certainly could be right though!

That's all I was thinking but I should have clarified that in my post so apologies to you.

Rick Lang
Sent using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Anders Holck

PostWed Jan 28, 2015 8:20 pm

rick.lang wrote:Anders, it is very likely that the software on the different camera models can have some differences while intended to support the same functionality. That's my assumption until BMD categorically affirms the software routines for a given function are always identical across models. Why do I claim that? Based on my experience in a career in software development. You certainly could be right though!

That's all I was thinking but I should have clarified that in my post so apologies to you.

Rick Lang
Sent using Tapatalk HD

Rick,
Sorry if I sounded harsh.
Of course the software is different in between the cameras. But probably some components are shared as well thus making me think these problems could be related.

I'm also, part time, into development, but component / low level programming (asm/ppc).

Procedures as reading from buffer writing to media which is in a higher level could certainly be shared in between. Don't know how BMD do it.

Doesn't matter. ;)
==============

Still and video

rick.lang

PostThu Jan 29, 2015 2:36 am

Anders Holck wrote:... I'm also, part time, into development, but component / low level programming (asm/ppc)...

Great, Anders!

Rick Lang
Sent using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Nick Smith

PostTue Feb 03, 2015 11:31 am

So is there still no concrete word on what causes this to happen, or whether it's likely to happen to me again?

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Feb 03, 2015 11:50 am

We haven't been able to reproduce it here and haven't heard about it from anyone else. If you can provide steps or more information we can try investigate it, but apart from the initial report from you and Wolfgang Winne we've gotten no other reports about this since the firmware release.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Anders Holck

PostTue Feb 03, 2015 10:53 pm

CaptainHook wrote:We haven't been able to reproduce it here and haven't heard about it from anyone else. If you can provide steps or more information we can try investigate it, but apart from the initial report from you and Wolfgang Winne we've gotten no other reports about this since the firmware release.

Updated mine, can review my old content on the card (raw/prores) as well as continue using it. Probably a unique problem to a very few users since this thread isn't as active as it would be if it was a huge problem.

Ty for testing out anyhow!

// Anders
==============

Still and video

Return to Cinematography