DaVinci Resolve as NLE?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Ids Aalbers

DaVinci Resolve as NLE?

PostWed Aug 29, 2012 1:22 pm

Hi,

First of all I'd like to thank you guy's from Blackmagicdesign for DaVinci Resolve Lite, it's absolutely amazing :mrgreen:

As you probably noticed from the subject title, I'd love to see DaVinci become more of an editing software aswel, since it already has the basics in it.

I must say that FCP X just doesn't cut it for me (no pun intended) and the rest of the competition neither. That's why I still work with FCP7, but as far as "feel" goes Resolve comes very close to it, which is a big plus.

What are your thoughts on this? Anyone else think this would be a good expansion?

Cheers

Ids

Evelyne Theodose

Re: DaVinci Resolve as NLE?

PostThu Aug 30, 2012 9:15 am

Yes, you're not the only one who views Resolve as a cross-platform NLE/finishing tool, without any round-tripping. We cannot expect BMD to try pleasing every videographer on the planet, since their main focus is on professional colorists. But maybe there are some features that would benefit both groups. For instance, the ability to move clips around in the Lightbox: it would provide a great storyboard mode...

Dylan Reeve

PostThu Aug 30, 2012 10:37 pm

I, for one, am not a big fan of this idea.

The expression "jack of all trades, master of none" applies very well to complex software I think. While Resolve can be (and is) very specifically designed to meet the needs of colour grading. Introducing other features within the same application means that the application would become a MUCH bigger code base which is harder to manage and update, and also that compromises would have to be made with the user interface and general 'ergonomics' of the software.

There are plenty of editing applications that have powerful colour correction features built in (Smoke and Avid DS spring to mind) but they are rarely as well suited for grading as something like Resolve, BaseLight or Scratch.

It would be interesting to see Blackmagic develop an NLE with be same UX concepts as Resolve and perhaps building on technologies from within Resolve, but I think trying to make one application that does everything never works out quite as well as targeting applications to specific needs.

Nick Bedford

PostThu Aug 30, 2012 11:54 pm

If Final Cut Pro X and "the rest of the competition" aren't good enough over FCP7 then Resolve is most certainly not an option.

Good luck, though.

I personally love Final Cut Pro X. But hey, what floats your boat.
Nick Bedford, Photographer
http://www.nickbedford.com/

Return to Post Production