Decklink SDILink to FirePRO GPU

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

Aaron Boxer

Decklink SDILink to FirePRO GPU

PostWed Jan 28, 2015 9:20 pm

Hello,

I am interested in connecting a Decklink capture board to an AMD FirePRO GPU.
I see from 2011 press releases that there was support added to Decklink boards
for SDILink. Is this still the case? If so, which Decklink boards would support
SDILink. (also called DirectGMA).

Thanks!

Aaron

Matt Jefferson

Blackmagic Design

Re: Decklink SDILink to FirePRO GPU

PostThu Jan 29, 2015 4:27 am

HI Aaron-
This functionality is provided via the Decklink SDK and you can implement it by using AMD Firepro graphics cards from Firepro W series with the model number 5000 and higher. We do not support the S or R series at this time. It supports all Decklink cards that are able to do input and output or Decklink SDI 4K, Duo, Quad, Studio 4K, Extreme 4K and Extreme 4K 12G.

AMD SDI Link / Direct GMA is supported on Windows 7 and Linux for x86 and x64 architectures where those platforms are also supported by AMD. DirectGMA support requires the use of the GL_AMD_pinned_memory GL extension supported by compatible AMD OpenGL drivers.

Recommend you download our SDK from support page for playback and capture cards under latest downloads (scroll down until you see SDK 10.3.1 Nov 20 2014)

See the LoopThroughWithOpenGLCompositing under each OS samples/bin folder for a detailed example of integrating the DeckLink API and AMD DirectGMA.

Aaron Boxer

PostFri Jan 30, 2015 12:05 am

Thanks! Can you tell me about how the Decklink SDK is licensed? If I want to build an application
using the SDK, may I re-distribute it?

Aaron Boxer

PostFri Jan 30, 2015 3:26 am

Some other questions:

Can you tell me what sort of transfer rates I may expect for various Decklink cards to FirePro ?

Are there any products out there currently using Decklink + Firepro ?

How often do you update your drivers?

Thanks!

Matt Jefferson

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jan 30, 2015 7:43 pm

Aaron-
The overall transfer rates are dependent on host of factors including graphics, host computer architecture, signal and format of video material and source type latency (in the camera). If you are looking for latency from point of Decklink BNC Connection for a full round trip via graphics processor should be between 2-4 frames for full round trip or just 1-2 frames if just one way. Also, latency is dependent on architecture.

Suggest you visit our web download area for the updates for drivers on our support page. . We don't have a schedule that we follow so could be frequently or it could be less frequent based on release of products and features added.

We cannot provide information on solution providers or end users of our products or other companies products.

Also, the license agreement is in the SDK download and registration is required to download it. That is the total extent of licensing requirement. Finally, you may build an application and provide the SDK files necessary to run the application developed per the license agreement.

Aaron Boxer

PostFri Jan 30, 2015 8:47 pm

Thanks, Matt. Do you have a recommended PC build that you know works with your cards?

Also, can you tell me if there are any Decklink + Firepro products out there, and if so, which
Decklink boards are used?

Regards,
Aaron

Aaron Boxer

PostFri Jan 30, 2015 9:14 pm

Another question: are all of your boards PCIe 2.0 ? Or do you have some PCIe 3.0 cards?

Thanks!

Matt Jefferson

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Feb 02, 2015 10:27 pm

Aaron -
Most Decklinks are generation 1 and either 4 lane (x4) or 1 lane (x1). The Decklink 4K Extremes are the generation 2 with regular 4K extreme is x4 and 4K extreme 12G is x8.

We have no PCIE generation 3. I can refer you to our list of tested systems on our support page in the center support web page BMD support then look in lower middle section for pcie requirements and the first link.

If you are using a graphics card, most of the high end workstations from vendors like HP, Dell, Supermicro, and Lenovo will work just fine. Suggest you send me PM if there are other issues or questions you have.

thank you, Matt Jefferson

IgorAkulov

PostSat Jul 18, 2015 5:29 pm

Matt Jefferson wrote:HI Aaron-
This functionality is provided via the Decklink SDK and you can implement it by using AMD Firepro graphics cards from Firepro W series with the model number 5000 and higher. We do not support the S or R series at this time. It supports all Decklink cards that are able to do input and output or Decklink SDI 4K, Duo, Quad, Studio 4K, Extreme 4K and Extreme 4K 12G.

AMD SDI Link / Direct GMA is supported on Windows 7 and Linux for x86 and x64 architectures where those platforms are also supported by AMD. DirectGMA support requires the use of the GL_AMD_pinned_memory GL extension supported by compatible AMD OpenGL drivers.

Recommend you download our SDK from support page for playback and capture cards under latest downloads (scroll down until you see SDK 10.3.1 Nov 20 2014)

See the LoopThroughWithOpenGLCompositing under each OS samples/bin folder for a detailed example of integrating the DeckLink API and AMD DirectGMA.

Matt, does DirectGMA is supported by newest drivers in combination of UltraStudio4K/Thunderbolt2/MacPro2014/FirePro D500?
For me, it is the key differentiator!

Matt Jefferson

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Aug 06, 2015 6:09 pm

HI Igor
Apology for late delay in reply to your query. Apple controls access to the graphics functions in the MacPro with D300/500/700 graphics cards in their system. We have requested a similar function be available on Mac OS X as it is on Windows and Linux for AMD Firepro but at this time there is no support for fast graphics direct memory access on MacPro systems with any AMD graphics. Nor is there support for any older NVIDIA based gpu direct on any NVIDIA based platforms with Apple.

Matt J

Return to Software Developers