Ultrastudio SDI: No HD

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Lee_AVP

Ultrastudio SDI: No HD

PostFri Nov 16, 2012 3:43 am

Forgive the cross post, but this seems the more appropriate forum:

We are unable to get an HD signal to come in to our computer using the Ultrastudio SDI. We have tried in Livestream, Adobe FMLE, and BMD Media Express. In all cases, SD works just fine, but we can't get HD to work at all.

This is a Samsung Series 7 laptop; I did have to update the USB3 drivers to even get the Ultrastudio to show up.

Should I assume this is a chipset issue, and abandon hope? Pretty sure the 7 series Intel boards all use Intel's own chipset.

Is there any word from BMD on updating drivers for Intel chipsets? Is the fact that I can get SD to work any reason to hold out hope? Or should I return this piece of equipment?

PS: Had to really, really dig to find the info about the chipsets. Giant letters saying "Compatible with everything!" are a little... disingenuous, given it's actually apparently compatible with "only one thing." Don't you think? Would love to be wrong, as I love all of the rest of our BMD kit.
E. Lee Dickinson | President
Advanced Visual Production | Sound.Lighting.Video.Design
www.avprva.com

Esa Kranz

Re: Ultrastudio SDI: No HD

PostFri Nov 16, 2012 8:19 am

How do you define HD in this case? What is the source? Resolution & refresh rate?
Did you start by checking the supported resolutions here:
http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/ultrastudiosdi/techspecs/
Esa Kranz
Product Manager at Hedcom
Blackmagic Reseller, Finland
www.hedcom.fi/home

Lee_AVP

PostFri Nov 16, 2012 1:50 pm

I have tried feeding it with both my Panasonic HPX170 cameras and with my BMD Television Studio. I have tried 1080 and 720 in various flavors, but will go back and document everything I try on Monday.

Thanks for the nudge. With devices not making clear the difference between 59.94 and 60 - and with BMD's recent 60hz problem with the switchers, there's the possibility I didn't match settings correctly.
www.avprva.com

Lee_AVP

PostWed Dec 05, 2012 5:50 pm

I have done more extensive testing today, and am confident now that no resolution other than NTSC 480i is functioning on my computer. 720p59.94 should be the ticket with my cameras, but I've also tried 1080i59.94 with no success.

Unless anyone has any suggestions, I will assume this is a USB chipset problem and will return the UltraStudio.
www.avprva.com

Mike Squires

PostWed Dec 05, 2012 8:17 pm

Did you change the settings in the Blackmagic Control Panel (it's in Windows Control Panel/Hardware and Sound)? You have to change them there, and in Media Express.

Lee_AVP

PostThu Dec 06, 2012 3:33 am

Changed in both places. Tried it in media express, and in Livestream Procaster, and in FMLE. NTSC works every time in every program. Can't get anything - not even audio - from any other resolution. Interestingly, if I set the Ultrastudio to NTSC, I get audio, no matter what resolution I set the camera to output.

I'll try with another device tomorrow to be sure.
www.avprva.com

Liam Kennedy

PostThu Dec 06, 2012 5:39 pm

SD = much less data than HD... so that is likely the reason it works for SD. To me it really does seem likely to be a USB3 chipset problem. My laptop works works with the 1ME... my desktop doesn't.

By the way the Livestream Producer software should support the TVS natively via it's USB2 port (it accepts the H.264 stream).
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

Mike Squires

PostFri Dec 07, 2012 1:50 am

What brand of USB 3.0 controller does your laptop use? You can find out in Device Manager. Just because it's an Intel board, doesn't mean it's using an Intel controller.

Lee_AVP

PostFri Dec 07, 2012 4:29 pm

Intel 6 Series/C200 Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller.
www.avprva.com

Liam Kennedy

PostFri Dec 07, 2012 5:41 pm

This might help.

Bryan H wrote:Hi,

if anyone of you is using and INTEL USB Controller you should follow this guide:

http://plugable.com/2012/12/01/windows- ... ntrollers/

it worked for me.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

Return to Getting Started