Update to NVIDIA GTX 570?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

bbykerjames

Update to NVIDIA GTX 570?

PostTue Dec 11, 2012 9:26 pm

The configuration guide recommends the GTX 570 for a Mac Pro Resolve, but it's coming up as discontinued at B&H:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/8 ... X_570.html

Does anyone know what the updated model is that will work internally on a new Mac Pro?

Thanks,

- Bruce

rick.lang

Re: Update to NVIDIA GTX 570?

PostWed Dec 12, 2012 4:01 am

bbykerjames wrote:The configuration guide recommends the GTX 570 for a Mac Pro Resolve, but it's coming up as discontinued at B&H:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/8 ... X_570.html

Does anyone know what the updated model is that will work internally on a new Mac Pro?

Thanks,

- Bruce

Hope I'm not misquoting Peter Chamberlain of BMD but I believe he said that he's verified the GTX690 with Resolve. The Mac will see the device as two GPUs and assign one to the GUI and one for CUDA tasks.

Here is the link:
viewtopic.php?t=551

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

bbykerjames

PostWed Dec 12, 2012 1:58 pm

I looked into that one, but it looks like it only works in a PCI expansion chassis because of the limited power in the Mac Pro. The GTX 570 is recommended in the config guide for installing inside the Mac Pro, and I'm wondering what the new recommendation would be now that it's discontinued.

I just took a look at power requirements for other cards and the GTX 680 is 195w (GTX 570 iw 219w):
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop ... ifications

Can anyone confirm that this will work with Mountain Lion? It seems like it might if the 690 does.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Dec 13, 2012 12:55 am

The GTX680 card will work with Mountain Lion. I've seen mixed performance reports. Some feel the 570 is better, and some the 680. Either will fit nicely inside the Mac.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

bbykerjames

PostThu Dec 13, 2012 1:53 pm

Thanks for the reply!

One more question, out of curiosity: I previously had the Quadro 4000 on my list, but the recommendation in the setup guide and user discussions put me onto the GTX series. The Quadro 4000 costs considerably more, though. What's the difference between these two series of cards, other than price and marketing? It looks like the Quadro is marketed at graphics professionals and the GTX at gamers.

Thanks again!

Return to Post Production