6k to 1080p R3D PP to Resolve 11 clip size problem

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Mark Sterne

6k to 1080p R3D PP to Resolve 11 clip size problem

PostSat Apr 25, 2015 9:56 pm

I am working on a couple of timelines exported from Premiere Pro as XML. The XMLs seemed to import and create timelines with no problem. However, in the Timeline viewer on the Edit page and on the Color page, the image appears shrunken even though it is set to fit the viewer.

One timeline is using sources that are 5120 x 2700 and the other shows the sources to be 3792 x 3160. The latter was shot anamorphic and the images remain squeezed.

Also, at least one of the shots in the 6K timeline is tilted, according to the inspector it is rotated 1.5 degrees.

I am trying to prep this job for my client but I am at a bit of a loss as to what is causing the issues, and how to fix them. I have done 4K jobs before and not run into any of these issues.

Any insights welcome and thank you!
Attachments
anamorphic-problem.jpg
anamorphic-problem.jpg (364.1 KiB) Viewed 1158 times
sizing-tilt-probs.jpg
sizing-tilt-probs.jpg (358.17 KiB) Viewed 1158 times

Marc Wielage

Re: 6k to 1080p R3D PP to Resolve 11 clip size problem

PostSat Apr 25, 2015 10:29 pm

What are your timeline settings? How are you monitoring? Check the Image Scaling properties, particularly if you're mixing different resolutions on a single timeline -- pp. 72-74 in the manual. The export gets tricker, particularly if you're a specific aspect ratio.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Mark Sterne

Re: 6k to 1080p R3D PP to Resolve 11 clip size problem

PostSat Apr 25, 2015 11:40 pm

Thanks, Marc. Sorry, I forgot to mention the project and timeline are 1920 x 1080, 23.976.

Screen shot of image scaling settings attached; I have looked at the manual for them and I think they are correct, but maybe I'm misunderstanding something.

What I'm seeing in the inspector is that all of these shots have sizing applied to them. If I turn off "Use sizing information" when I import the XML, or turn off Transform in the inspector, then they size correctly in the Timeline viewer and Color page, except that the anamorphism is still wrong.

It appears that the sizing was done at some point prior to exporting the XML from Premiere, and I need to find out why the client did that.
Attachments
imagescaling.png
imagescaling.png (132.75 KiB) Viewed 1151 times

Return to DaVinci Resolve