Mac OS X El Capitan & Metal

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

timbutt2

Mac OS X El Capitan & Metal

PostMon Jun 08, 2015 8:38 pm

How much better will DaVinci Resolve run now with today's announced improvements in Mac OS X El Capitan and Metal?

Apple also noted that when working with Adobe, the developers were able to deliver up to an 8x improvement in rendering when using After Effects. Other than Epic and Adobe, companies like Blizzard, Feral, Foundry, Autodesk, and Aspyr were all mentioned in today's keynote as future adopters of Metal.

Would love to hear what Blackmagic Design plans on doing with Metal's improvements and how much better their software (including Fusion) will run and render. It's exciting to think of the potential.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Donnell Henry

Re: Mac OS X El Capitan & Metal

PostMon Jun 08, 2015 9:34 pm

I would love to know this myself...mr chamberlain anything you can add here?
GODS CREATE

Scott Heysen

PostTue Jun 09, 2015 7:11 am

I am worried by BMD not being mentioned. :o
iMacPro 10core, 32GB, 2TB, Vega64 - 12.6.5
16" MacBookPro, 10core M1 Max, 64GB, 2TB - 13.4
14" MacBookPro, M2, 10core, 16GB, 512GB - 13.4
Various Pegasus RAIDs

Jules Bushell

PostTue Jun 09, 2015 7:49 am

All these proprietary technologies are a real pain for developers giving them more work to do, I imagine.

Didn't AMD announce their Mantle a couple of years ago with a lot of fanfare? Only for it to be replaced by the Vulkan API (people behind OpenGL).

Jules
Jules Bushell
url: www.nonmultiplexcinema.com
url: www.filmmeansbusiness.com
url: www.blurtheline.co.uk

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jun 09, 2015 7:53 am

You shouldn't be worried. As you would have seen there are benefits for OpenGL and OpenCL applications particularly to offer lower level control. Unlike many apps we don't use a lot of OpenGL.

Resolve has been using direct GPU processes for many years using OpenCL (and even longer for CUDA on NVIDIA GPUs) and we already have very deep level GPU processes.

We are already testing Resolve v12 on the new OS and reviewing Metal to see if it offers further optimization for us.

V12 is scheduled for late July release.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Donnell Henry

PostTue Jun 09, 2015 10:10 am

Thank you Mr Chamberlain ...can you post back here before the release of davinci 12 to let's us know what the benefits of metal are with resolve? if any. Thanks again
GODS CREATE

timbutt2

PostTue Jun 09, 2015 5:01 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:You shouldn't be worried. As you would have seen there are benefits for OpenGL and OpenCL applications particularly to offer lower level control. Unlike many apps we don't use a lot of OpenGL.

Resolve has been using direct GPU processes for many years using OpenCL (and even longer for CUDA on NVIDIA GPUs) and we already have very deep level GPU processes.

We are already testing Resolve v12 on the new OS and reviewing Metal to see if it offers further optimization for us.

V12 is scheduled for late July release.

Would you suggest signing up for the Public Beta of Mac OS X El Capitan to try it out with Resolve when V12 is released in late July? The Public Beta will probably be available around the same time. Or, do you think that will cause issues?
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Marc Wielage

PostWed Jun 10, 2015 2:41 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:We are already testing Resolve v12 on the new OS and reviewing Metal to see if it offers further optimization for us.

Man, that's the most hopeful news I've had all year. Apple was claiming "8 times faster renders" on some software. I'd be grateful if renders would just double the speed (and reliability) in Resolve.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Sam Steti

PostWed Jun 10, 2015 3:57 pm

A
Marc Wielage wrote:Man, that's the most hopeful news I've had all year. Apple was claiming "8 times faster renders" on some software. I'd be grateful if renders would just double the speed (and reliability) in Resolve.
I think 8 times faster renders applies to softwares which were developed to specifically use metal, and which probably were too much CPU-based before...

Metal addresses manual memory instead of the automatic OpenGL one : very cool BUT harder to develop (taking a lot of computers into account I presume) and finally not "8 times more efficient" than a "low level digging" piece of software in association with a good driver.
But cool anyway... (and how much faster, I wouldn't try to guess :D )

Zeb Chadfield

PostThu Oct 01, 2015 7:03 am

Any more news on this. With OS X El Capitan out now is anyone using it and are you seeing any improvements in renders. Will we automatically see an improvement with Metal or will Resolve need some new code to get the best out of it. Can't go wrong with faster renders :D

Return to DaVinci Resolve