Rehashing Power One More Time

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Marshall Harrington

Rehashing Power One More Time

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 1:45 am

Really excited about the work coming out of this camera. Thanks to those of you who've been posting your results. There's no doubt that this camera makes amazing images. Personally I've lots of experience with stills and am moving over to motion. With that in mind I've got a bunch of questions that I want to direct to the experienced shooters and maybe those who have been using this camera.

The first is about power. I've been looking at the solutions for what it really takes me to shoot. Sometimes we go all day. Sometimes long days. Sometimes it's just a quick shot or three. There's no way to know short of a crystal ball. I figure I got to have enough power to make it 12 hours and not have to stay up all night checking to make sure the charge is going well. I've got to have power that I trust.

For the last couple years I'm shooting dslr's with: the cameras, monitors, evf, & mic. Each of these devices has run on it's own power and honestly that's worked just fine. I've got a bunch of chargers but it's easy and foolproof.

As I look to rigging and powering the BMCC I'm wondering if I should continue on in that same way or power everything off one battery (one type)? I'm not to sure of myself here but think if I go that way I should calculate what the draw will be and buy batteries based on a 12 hour day at that draw with a little left over. I'm thinking that BMCC will look rig this: the camera, a monitor, evf, sdi to hdmi converter, some sort of sound device (juicedlink or wooden camera), and mic.

I've been looking at the Switronics PB70-BMCC as a simple solution but am not sure it will do everything I want although it looks easy. I'm also looking at the heavier duty systems (Anton Bauer, Switronics, etc.) with associated mounting plates and more robust batteries. I understand I should be looking at what I can get on a plane as that's just reality in this work. Also once I get into the power tap I'm lost. Will that power each device? Then there are the chargers, a universe onto themselves.

One of things that I'm pretty sure of this time around is that the rig and and the associated gear will likely outlast the camera. By that I mean camera technology is moving faster than dovetail plate, matte boxes, and follow focus systems. I want to be sure and buy gear that I can take to my next camera. Also I like the idea of a counterbalance when I'm handheld. Either that or stripped down as far as I can go, ultralight. Both have their advantages.

Could a few of you take the time and make some suggestions based on your experience. If you don't mind please be specific about particular gear that you know has worked and lasted for you.

Not asking much am I? Greatly appreciated though . . .

Christian Schmeer

Re: Rehashing Power One More Time

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 2:09 am

I already bought the Switronics PB70-BMCC, but can't test it until I get the camera. The review done by EOSHD makes me think it's not a bad purchase though: http://www.eoshd.com/content/9339/switr ... ery-review
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

Marshall Harrington

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 2:15 am

Christian Schmeer wrote:I already bought the Switronics PB70-BMCC, but can't test it until I get the camera. The review done by EOSHD makes me think it's not a bad purchase though: http://www.eoshd.com/content/9339/switr ... ery-review

I read that as well, good review. Looks like it would be fine if you were just running the camera. More than fine, just get a couple of these. But what if you want to power more. Should you power more?

Christian Schmeer

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 2:20 am

MarshallHarrington wrote:
Christian Schmeer wrote:I already bought the Switronix PB70-BMCC, but can't test it until I get the camera. The review done by EOSHD makes me think it's not a bad purchase though: http://www.eoshd.com/content/9339/switr ... ery-review

I read that as well, good review. Looks like it would be fine if you were just running the camera. More than fine, just get a couple of these. But what if you want to power more. Should you power more?

From the Switronix website: "Wired as a 14.8v battery pack it can provide extended power to up to two additional 12vdc devices, as well as other devices requiring lower voltage through an additional XP power regulation cable. The pack is also furnished with a 1/4-20 on either side to mount accessories."
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

John Christon

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 2:34 am

you can put the switronix on any vlock battery plate as well - it's pretty versatile - it didn't hold a charge as long as an idx endura 10 with powering an external monitor.

so if your monitor as dtap outs you can power other stuff, the switronix also has a dtap built into it so you can use that as well.

or you can just mount it with the hotshoe on your camera.

paulkosmala

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 7:08 am

Crazy thought.

the vagabond mini - paul c buff...
good idea/bad idea?

Patrick Finnegan

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 7:21 am

check out this previous thread on the Ikan battery plate and BPU-60 batteries

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=413

I have mine rigged to an iris rod mount as part of my cage rig.
This is another totally viable and light weight run and gun option.
You could also switch to V lock IDX batteries when in studio mode...more weight but much longer run times
Finnegan's Wake Films
Director/ Cameraman

Marshall Harrington

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 4:09 pm

Patrick Finnegan wrote:check out this previous thread on the Ikan battery plate and BPU-60 batteries

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=413

I have mine rigged to an iris rod mount as part of my cage rig.
This is another totally viable and light weight run and gun option.
You could also switch to V lock IDX batteries when in studio mode...more weight but much longer run times

Looks good for stripped down rig. Like you already got a bunch of these. Is this set up to mount to the cage? Just curious, what are you using for your larger size battery?

I haven't even looked and have just been assuming that if you're near AC you can just plug the whole thing into the wall? As I think about it that's likely not the case?? Hmm-m-m-m. Anyone know the answer to this?

Mike Collier

PostSun Dec 16, 2012 3:03 am

I would go with one battery to power them all. I have no idea how people deal with having 6 chargers and 6 types of batteries. It all seems like too much to deal with. Maybe its just because my background is ENG, where there is one battery, and it was a HUGE imposition to not have a D-tap powered mic receiver (or even better, a slot in receiver)

I designed my rig with other things in mind. The rental house I like has the litepannel bi-colored panels, and they have Anton Bauer plates. So I decided AB so I can bring a single quad charger with me on a travel gig and power both my camera and my light.

I got a chinese special AB plate that has low dropout regulators to give me unfiltered (14.4v), 12v, 7.2v, and 5v. I am probably going to change out the 7.2 with a 9v to power my livelens, but we will see. maybe 7.2 is good enough. 12v will power my evf. 5v will charge my iphone while I work (or something, not really sure what else 5v is good for)

This way there is one single battery, I can get my runtime remaining from the AB display, I can change batteries without powering down the camera (thanks internal battery)

Just because of how the world works, I would recomend getting a backup cable for every single cable and signal you have. It's not terribly expensive, and spares are always good for troubleshooting and saving the day.
Michael Collier, II
Cinematographer - Gaffer - Camera Operator

http://www.RandomAcronym.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3075740/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Josh Newman

PostMon Dec 17, 2012 11:13 pm

Instead of starting another thread, and since we're talking about power...

I think it was in a video Rick Lang posted where is was using standard sony batteries using the dtap out into the bmcc. I know this set up isn't for everyone, but to me it seems like a pretty versatile and cheap power solution.
I found this little package on globalmediapro; http://www.globalmediapro.com/dp/A2ENB7/Globalmediapro-SC1-1-channel-Mini-Charger-2-x-DCU65-Battery-65WH-with-D-Tap/
From what I can tell they're as capable of powering the camera as the switronix option (slightly less so..?), except cheaper and you get 2 batteries. There is also the same pack with the DCU95 batteries which (from what I understand) outperform the switronix.
Can anybody who has a better understanding chime in and tell me this is or isn't going to work?
Cheers

Double_Think

PostTue Dec 18, 2012 6:39 am

I hear a lot about the Switronix PB70 BMCC and the Switronix XPL-90S V-Type and I'm sure they both work fine :D I'm more so worried about size and weight...cus the Switronix PB70 BMCC looks bulky and kinda ugly haha Should I even be worried about how huge these batteries are? Where am I gunna stick the dang thing so it doesn't get in the way? Some guy wrote a review about how HUGE the Switronix XPL-90S V-Type battery was : (

"When I opened the box,the battery looked simply huge compaired to my IDX E-10S, not to mention it weighs more."

Bottom line:
Im still in school and learning about V-mount plates and I've seen them on a few professional shoots being a PA. Do most people just hook them up to camera rails and deal with the fact that they are huge haha? Whats the difference between a P-tap port and D-tap ? Cus I know I need a D-tap cord for my monitor...but this plate only talks of P-tap ports (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/8 ... _Dual.html) ??? HELP!!

Marshall Harrington

PostTue Dec 18, 2012 6:41 pm

Double_Think wrote:I hear a lot about the Switronix PB70 BMCC and the Switronix XPL-90S V-Type and I'm sure they both work fine :D I'm more so worried about size and weight...cus the Switronix PB70 BMCC looks bulky and kinda ugly haha Should I even be worried about how huge these batteries are? Where am I gunna stick the dang thing so it doesn't get in the way? Some guy wrote a review about how HUGE the Switronix XPL-90S V-Type battery was : (

"When I opened the box,the battery looked simply huge compaired to my IDX E-10S, not to mention it weighs more."

Bottom line:
Im still in school and learning about V-mount plates and I've seen them on a few professional shoots being a PA. Do most people just hook them up to camera rails and deal with the fact that they are huge haha? Whats the difference between a P-tap port and D-tap ? Cus I know I need a D-tap cord for my monitor...but this plate only talks of P-tap ports (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/8 ... _Dual.html) ??? HELP!!

Good questions, thanks for asking. Can't wait to hear a response regarding the larger batteries pros and cons.

Keith Stark

PostWed Dec 19, 2012 12:43 am

Josh,

By numbers (voltage,current and wattage) it seems ok. In the 'Boston' video they said the camera draws 25 watts...so in theory.....

Myself, I'm actually going to do a DIY solution using off the shelf rechargeables. I should be able to put together 3 5000mwh packs with chargers for about $200.

As for any credibility, I'm an EE, not a pro cam guy. I have build my own 'poor mans' 1K HMIs for starters, I'm that crazy..(but safe)..

I'd be as curious as you if anybody else has another opinion on this.

Thx,
K
Camera "Claude" Received 4/4

Josh Newman

PostWed Dec 19, 2012 12:51 am

Thanks for the reply Keith. I think someone like yourself is the most credible to answer a question like mine!
I'm going to go ahead with these so we'll see how they go when things are shipping.
I'll be curious to see your DIY job when its done. Hope you post it!
Cheers

Keith Stark

PostWed Dec 19, 2012 1:59 am

Thanks Josh,

I think I would like to hear some other opinions still.(anyone??)

The switronics is 70Wh (Watt hours)
(/25 watts > 2.8 hours )

Your system is 4400mAh (mil amp hours)
X 12V ( average)
=52800 mwh (mili watt hours )
=52.8 watt hours
(/25 watts > 2.1 hours )

For what it's worth, I'm starting to like your solution better then mine.

Again,this is making a fair amount of assumptions...but by the numbers...

BTW,I meant to ask, does anybody know what the actual size of the connector is to the BMD and what the polarity is? It looks like your standard barrel style connector. I can't find it spec'd anywhere.
I would just like to know if it needs to be changed or more importantly reversed.

(sorry, this is my forth edit..arg..)

Thanks,
K

Marshall Harrington

PostWed Dec 19, 2012 3:39 am

One of the BMC engineers posted somewhere on here a while back with some details on the connector. Maybe they're watching and could chime in.

Josh Newman

PostWed Dec 19, 2012 4:16 am

Keith Stark wrote:Your system is 4400mAh (mil amp hours)
X 12V ( average)
=52800 mwh (mili watt hours )
=52.8 watt hours
(/25 watts > 2.1 hours )

rad! maths! seeing that makes me feel better about that set up. extra batteries can be added for just over $100 (AU).... for generic ones anyway.

I remember seeing the specs of the barrel somewhere too. see if i can find em

rick.lang

PostThu Dec 20, 2012 1:25 am

Keith Stark wrote:Josh,

By numbers (voltage,current and wattage) it seems ok. In the 'Boston' video they said the camera draws 25 watts...so in theory.....

K

I believe we have been told previously that the BMCC draws about 18 watts typically. If you planned your capacity assuming 25 watts, you'll have a safety margin. That may allow for a few extra items to be connected to the camera which likely require some additional power usage. Other capacity estimates in the past have assumed 18 watts.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Josh Newman

PostThu Dec 20, 2012 1:39 am

Thats good news. So based on a draw of 18 watts, these cheap batteries could power the bmcc for almost 3 hours.

Keith Stark

PostThu Dec 20, 2012 1:58 am

Josh,
I think I'm just going to save the hassle and go with your system. (thanks for finding it btw).
I can't find batteries that will compete with it for both cost and performance. Best case, I would end up
paying the same thing for the DIY.

Knowing how standardized power supplies and chargers are, I would seriously check the polarity with a meter before you plug it to the camera (or find someone to do it for you). It just needs to be compared to the supply that comes with the camera to make sure they are the same. There's always a chance you could fry the charging circuit in the camera if it's reversed. (that would be bad)

Would love a spec on that power connection.....anyone?....Bueller?.....Bueller?....

thx,
K

Josh Newman

PostThu Dec 20, 2012 4:38 am

Yeah, I'd love to find that out too.
Maybe someone with a cam can check the power adaptor that came with it? They usually have a little diagram depicting if its + or - center
also, if you're in Sydney, Dragon Image stock the same batteries under a different name for basically the same $$ (a couple bucks cheaper even I think) but you can pick up, so you save on delivery. Plus your buying local. actually I think they have Melb and Brisbane stores too.

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Dec 20, 2012 4:45 am

MarshallHarrington wrote:One of the BMC engineers posted somewhere on here a while back with some details on the connector. Maybe they're watching and could chime in.

It's 5.5x2.5mm center postive.

Josh Newman

PostThu Dec 20, 2012 4:55 am

Kristian Lam wrote:
MarshallHarrington wrote:One of the BMC engineers posted somewhere on here a while back with some details on the connector. Maybe they're watching and could chime in.

It's 5.5x2.5mm center postive.

Boom!
Thanks Kristian!

Keith Stark

PostThu Dec 20, 2012 3:25 pm

Ditto,
Thanks!

Return to Cinematography