The next camera

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Josh Snyder

The next camera

PostThu Dec 20, 2012 10:50 pm

If the option is to get more resolution or faster frame rates for the next camera, choose the latter :) Don't get into resolution war but instead give us faster frame rates (and larger sensor) :)

Also removing the screen would be good to get smallest possible body size. You have to use another LCD anyways when you shoot because you can't look on the back LCD. LCD touch screen as a optional accessory would be best option (think RED Touch LCD).

And don't * up the color science! This thing looks very close to Alexa which is the holy grail of digital cinema.

The next camera has potential to be incredible and I hope it is! :D
Last edited by Josh Snyder on Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nick Bedford

Re: The next camera

PostThu Dec 20, 2012 11:08 pm

This is how the next Blackmagic needs to be designed :)

Nick Bedford, Photographer
http://www.nickbedford.com/

paulkosmala

PostThu Dec 20, 2012 11:18 pm

Nick Bedford wrote:This is how the next Blackmagic needs to be designed :)

source of image?

Nick Bedford

PostFri Dec 21, 2012 12:08 am

paulkosmala wrote:
Nick Bedford wrote:This is how the next Blackmagic needs to be designed :)

source of image?

http://www.yolk.org/y2.html

Pavel Lavrov

PostFri Dec 21, 2012 12:15 am

Pavel L

Josh Snyder

PostFri Dec 21, 2012 12:46 am

That's way too big :) optical viewfinder is something many don't use anymore so it would be waste of space and money, but as an additional accessory it would be good. Just remove the LCD and turn the thing sideways and you get smaller and better desing :) Longer and shorter/narrow is always the best way to go. If you MUST have the screen on the camera, put it on the right side of the camera (Alexa style) and make it smaller. At least it would be helpful in some cases for focus puller though they usually use a lot larger LCD's. No LCD would be the best way still.

Another thing... battery needs be replaceable. You will get more money when people buy more of your batteries and don't need to go shopping batteries from other manufacturers. Also that saves space when additional batterypack systems like v-locks don't have to be used and carried around. If that means a bit smaller battery with 1 hour runtime it would still be awesome. 1 hour is very good if you compare to cameras like Scarlet and Epic which can only run 30mins with one battery.

The Canon EF/EF-S mount is also just perfect if the sensor will change to S35.

This thing has so freaking much potential that I can't wait to get my hands on the version 2.0 :)

paulkosmala

PostFri Dec 21, 2012 1:06 am

Josh wrote:That's way too big :) optical viewfinder is something many don't use anymore so it would be waste of space and money, but as an additional accessory it would be good. Just remove the LCD and turn the thing sideways and you get smaller and better desing :) Longer and shorter/narrow is always the best way to go. If you MUST have the screen on the camera, put it on the right side of the camera (Alexa style) and make it smaller. At least it would be helpful in some cases for focus puller though they usually use a lot larger LCD's. No LCD would be the best way still.

Another thing... battery needs be replaceable. You will get more money when people buy more of your batteries and don't need to go shopping batteries from other manufacturers. Also that saves space when additional batterypack systems like v-locks don't have to be used and carried around. If that means a bit smaller battery with 1 hour runtime it would still be awesome. 1 hour is very good if you compare to cameras like Scarlet and Epic which can only run 30mins with one battery.

This thing has so freaking much potential that I can't wait to get my hands on the version 2.0 :)

Go big or go home.
Use the sensor from the hasselblad h4d-60
60Mpix CCD sensor 3chip array. medium format depth of field.
Uncompressed RAW 16-bit image capture at native sensor resolution onto cheap recording media.

5 years - prediction of what the tech will be able to provide then.
Though I have the suspicion that 3ccd will die out and give way to a YMCK 4ccd array.

I want the impossible and impractical.

paulkosmala

PostFri Dec 21, 2012 1:09 am

paulkosmala wrote:
Josh wrote:That's way too big :) optical viewfinder is something many don't use anymore so it would be waste of space and money, but as an additional accessory it would be good. Just remove the LCD and turn the thing sideways and you get smaller and better desing :) Longer and shorter/narrow is always the best way to go. If you MUST have the screen on the camera, put it on the right side of the camera (Alexa style) and make it smaller. At least it would be helpful in some cases for focus puller though they usually use a lot larger LCD's. No LCD would be the best way still.

Go big or go home.
Use the sensor from the hasselblad h4d-60
60Mpix CCD sensor 3chip array. medium format depth of field.
Uncompressed RAW 16-bit image capture at native sensor resolution onto cheap recording media.

5 years - prediction of what the tech will be able to provide then.
Though I have the suspicion that 3ccd will die out and give way to a YMCK 4ccd array.

I want the impossible and impractical.

also - since it's 4:3 (almost) a new set of medium format anamorphic lenses set at f/2 20mm, 35mm, 50, 75mm, and 135mm that won't break the bank.

Nick Bedford

PostFri Dec 21, 2012 2:02 am

Hehe. The Yolk Y2 ain't particularly small like the BMCC, but it's a very ergonomic design from a filming standpoint.

Consider the ARRI Alexa which is not unlike it in terms of ergonomics.

I wasn't serious though, as much as I want a camera design like that, the next BMCC is not going to be like that (I guess).

Josh Snyder

PostFri Dec 21, 2012 2:14 am

Nick Bedford wrote:Hehe. The Yolk Y2 ain't particularly small like the BMCC, but it's a very ergonomic design from a filming standpoint.

Consider the ARRI Alexa which is not unlike it in terms of ergonomics.

I wasn't serious though, as much as I want a camera design like that, the next BMCC is not going to be like that (I guess).

Yes that design is great for professional cinema projects, but most people who are targetting BMC will want as small brain as possible that is easy to take with you anywhere.

arknox

PostFri Dec 21, 2012 4:17 am

The BMC is ergonomic if you use a rig. Don't make the camera large for the sake of making it large. It's easy to make a camera bigger by building around it with a rig, impossible to make it smaller. I'd prefer it to be as small as possible to have the flexibility of both options.

Josh Snyder

PostFri Dec 21, 2012 5:19 am

arknox wrote:The BMC is ergonomic if you use a rig. Don't make the camera large for the sake of making it large. It's easy to make a camera bigger by building around it with a rig, impossible to make it smaller. I'd prefer it to be as small as possible to have the flexibility of both options.

Yeah, that's why the LCD needs to go and shape needs to change :p

andrew

PostFri Dec 21, 2012 6:58 am

I would love to see a 3d solution from BMD! Something small with a separate processing/recording unit, like the Silicon Imaging SI-3D system.

For some reason this seems like a natural fit for BMD. I know this type of system isn't what your talking about when you mention the bmcc v2, but I could see it being a nice compliment to the Blackmagic Cinema Camera family.

Return to Cinematography