Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Sony F55 RAW .MXF clips

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Andreas Tekautz

Sony F55 RAW .MXF clips

PostThu Jul 30, 2015 12:02 pm

Hello!

I've got a couple of Sony F55 RAW .MXF clips that easily open up in Premiere CC and After Effects CC. Is it possible to work with Fusion (v6, v7) on the original RAW footage?

Thanks
andreas

Vladimir LaFortune

Re: Sony F55 RAW .MXF clips

PostSun Aug 02, 2015 11:53 am

I've seen that no one replied to you so Im willing to take a shot.

I've never had any experience with S-log2 raw files in Fusion but I'm very well aware that .MXF will not be read by a Loader node most likely. We had the same problem way back with XDCAM EX .MXF files so we had to get some Calibrated{Q}. Try the demo to see if you can pull in F55 .MXFs with C{Q}, who knows.

If not then your best option is to use Sony RAW Viewer and export it as .DPX preferably over OpenEXR and then follow this setup for log to lin conversion
http://www.designimage.co.uk/simple-log ... in-fusion/

I'm also unaware if Fusion even supports S-log2 but if not I'm sure there are some manual adjustments or approximates you can find online and apply it yourself.

Andreas Tekautz

PostThu Aug 06, 2015 5:00 pm

argh, I wrote a whole message an it disappeared, I hate forums, grml..

Hi Vladimir,

thanks for your reply. I have been working on fusion since 1997 and this is the first time I ran in an issue fusions loader cannot open something (besides vector file formats ;)).
I played around with the Calibrated{Q} demo but I could not get a solution, I am not sure how this should work; I will continue trying.

I've already tried the Sony RAW Viewer but I thougt I could get around a second App. I will give it a try with .DPX but as there are a large amount of Avid .MXF files and .AAF files from the editor, so I was hoping to get around converting and using another software.

I found Sonys Workflow Guide for this kind of stuff is a little help but not to much:
https://pro.sony.com/bbsccms/assets/fil ... ion2.0.pdf

Thanks for the link to a fusion Log2Lin workflow, I have seen this before and my attempts are going into kind of the same direction. Found some SLog2/3 LUTs somewhere on the web (I think on Sonys site, but can't find it in the moment), that worked not so badly for me in my tests.

Thanks,
andreas

Chad Capeland

PostThu Aug 06, 2015 9:38 pm

One of the problems was that Sony didn't give out the specs or the SDK for their format unless you paid a substantial licensing fee.

BMD has a license, that's why it's in Resolve. Does the license cover Fusion now, or will they have to do that separately? I don't know.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Return to Fusion