Decklink as unattended capture server

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

hdezela

Decklink as unattended capture server

PostWed Aug 29, 2012 5:08 am

Hello, I'm wondering if a Decklink Studio card + Media Express software (Windows or Linux, doesn't matter) can be used as an unattended capture server.

I've seen in the documentation that Media Express allows batch capture but it doesn't go into much detail, can a batch be set up to capture, say every Monday from 20h - 22h from HDMI input or is it a more manual type operation?

If not, is there any command-line scripting that can be used to mimic this kind of batched operation or can Media Express be controlled by scripting (does it have a scripting host...?).

Thanks.

Sarah Jones

Blackmagic Design

Re: Decklink as unattended capture server

PostThu Aug 30, 2012 12:17 am

Media Express's batch capture feature is more designed for capturing from something like a tape deck or similar device using RS422. To start/stop recording at a particular time of day over HDMI isn't something that Media Express is really designed to do. It sounds more like you'd be looking for a custom app to achieve this, or maybe just a DVR. You might check out our DeckLink SDK for information on developing custom software. SDKs can be found via our Support page.
Sarah Jones

Blackmagic Design

Andy Mees

PostThu Aug 30, 2012 4:26 pm

Hi hdezela
There's a third party ingest app, Easy Ingest, that might be worth checking out if you've not done so already. I don't have any personal experience of this company or their products, so I can't vouch for them, but there's a demo you can download if you're so inclined. Might be worth a look.
http://easymediasuite.com/Support/Default.aspx?lang=1

Hope it helps
Andy
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

volkswatson

PostThu Sep 06, 2012 8:57 pm

Anyone know of a 3rd Party mac capture app like the one mentioned above? Really need to automate my workflow...

tried with automator, but it fails the day of...

-BW

Return to Getting Started