I need an advice

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

ric88

I need an advice

PostThu Dec 27, 2012 12:08 pm

I know the mount issue has been discussed, but I need an advice for my situation.
I have the money for a BMCC + $1,500 for lenses, but I also need a smaller/cheapest body and share lenses between both.

This is what I own right now:
- Canon T3i
- Canon 50mm f/1.8
- Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8

I've been tempted for some time to change to a Panasonic GH (MFT Mount), so these are my options:
- Keep my stuff + BMC EF Mount + $1,500 on lenses
- Panasonic GH3 (body) + BMCC MFT Mount + $1,500 on lenses
- Panasonic GH2 (body) + BMCC MFT Mount + $2,000 on lenses

*My priority is the BMC
*I want to cover wide/medium telephoto focal lenghts
*I have no intention of buying or renting PL or pricey lenses

What should I choose?

Fabián Matas

Re: I need an advice

PostThu Dec 27, 2012 12:13 pm

What kind of job is in your plants?

Jason Greene

PostThu Dec 27, 2012 1:48 pm

A couple of questions that I think you need to ask yourself:

1. Do you like your T3i (image, etc.)? If so, then you risk moving to something you don't like.
2. Have you tried a GH2 or GH3? Again, if you haven't tried it, you risk moving to something you don't like. Then again, you might find that you love it.
3. At 16mm on the T3i, is the Tokina 11-16mm wide enough for what you anticipate you'll need from the BMCC? If so, then the Tokina at 11mm should provide about the same field of view. If not, then you know that part of your $1500 is spoken for with a wider lens. An 8-16mm might replace your Tokina (though, I personally would have a hard time giving up my Tokina, because I think it is a very nice lens for what it is).
4. Then, are your EF lenses (current or future) fast enough compared to what you could get with the GH2 or GH3 at the wide end? Set your T3i to ISO 800 and see if 2.8 or 1.8 are fast enough for the conditions you expect to shoot.

Seems that you really don't have too much more to spend to round out your EF lens kit, since you have the 50mm on the long side (unless you need something even more telephoto on the BMCC - which I have a hard time believing I would do very much). Picking two from the following four: a an 8-16mm, 24mm, a 35mm, and an 85mm, are within the $1500 budget to really fill out your kit (and you might afford all four, depending on which lenses you get). Would your money go that far with the GH2?

Michael Sandiford

PostThu Dec 27, 2012 3:33 pm

EF. Keep your current camera and equipment. Then buy the EF BMCC. Get your self some samyang cine lenses as the bang for buck on them is incredible. Then if you want to you can still upgrade to compact primes from canon or zeiss if you really want to get expensive in the future.

This way you will still have your current camera and will only have to learn and get used to a one new camera.

I hope though that you have some more money planned in for storage devices and external battery solutions.

Darryl Gregory

PostThu Dec 27, 2012 5:21 pm

Ricardo it seems your budget to upgrade to the BMCC is very limited at this time, I suggest keep the tools you have now, Shoot and have fun with what you have.
The reason I say this is the cost to make the BMCC work, I'm already at about $5000.00
just on Accessories like HD-SDI EVF, Cage/Rigging, SSD's, Tokina 11-16mm, External Battery solution, etc, Not to mention what it takes to edit Raw, I already own an excellent editing system so I'm fortunate enough not to have to buy one just to edit RAW.

Just my 2 cents.

ric88

PostThu Dec 27, 2012 6:57 pm

Some time ago I had no doubts in buying the EF mount (I'm a Canon user), but I read that the MFT is more versatile and a better investment. I don't want to be forced to the EF mount only for my past. If I invest in a BMCC, this must be my priority. After reading your comments I have good reason to choose the EF mount.

Fabián Matas wrote:What kind of job is in your plants?

I'm planning a feature documentary and some small shootings.

Jason Greene wrote:A couple of questions that I think you need to ask yourself:

What you said made ​​me think of keeping what I have. Thanks.

Michael Sandiford wrote:This way you will still have your current camera and will only have to learn and get used to a one new camera.

I hope though that you have some more money planned in for storage devices and external battery solutions.

The EF mount sound like an easy transition. Thanks.
My money for the BMCC includes external battery + SSD.

Darryl Gregory wrote:Ricardo it seems your budget to upgrade to the BMCC is very limited at this time, I suggest keep the tools you have now, Shoot and have fun with what you have.

You're right. My budget is limited and what you said is another option. I have time to think.

Return to Cinematography