Shuttle USB3 Black Screen

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Hardpelicn

Shuttle USB3 Black Screen

PostWed Dec 26, 2012 10:40 am

I recently bought a shuttle and have been trying to get it to work with my Wii/Wii-U/Xbox360 and have had little success. I have everything connected through HDMI.
I can get the HDMI out on the shuttle to produce video and audio on my TV however I can't capture video on my PC.
I can get audio through to my pc, however I can't get video.
I've managed to get PC Audio and HDMI-OUT working on the following programs
- VirtualDub
- Graphedit
I can get audio on every capture program, but no image.
I've read multiple threads and tried many different troubleshoots with no success.
I'm sure it's just something small that I missed but it's boggling my mind!

I can get 720p, 1080i and 1080p onto my tv, but all of those present a black screen in capture programs on my pc.

PC Specs
Mobo: Asus P9X79 (Updated USB3 drivers to latest, USB3 is working fine)
CPU: i7-3820 @3.60GHz
GPU: 670gtx

If any more details are needed, please don't hesitate to ask.

EDIT: I've formatted and tried this on a fresh pc twice now. Once on Windows 8 and once on Windows 7 - exact same issues every time, still yet to receive an image through any form of capture software.

UnderMyWheels

Re: Shuttle USB3 Black Screen

PostFri Dec 28, 2012 1:41 am

It's almost certain to be an USB 3.0 issue. You may need to update the USB controllers firmware. Also make sure you have the latest drivers. The drivers found on the Asus support page are old.

Get the latest drivers and firmware here: http://www.station-drivers.com/page/asmedia.htm

Hardpelicn

PostFri Dec 28, 2012 5:08 am

Cheers for that, I've managed to get an image in Media Express now, however it's really jagged and will stop after a matter of seconds.
I'll keep doing some reading, now that I've got an image I can't be too far off.

Darrell Sim

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Dec 28, 2012 6:51 am

What is the connection you are using to capture on Media Express? If it's HDMI, please kindly note that BMD products are HDCP compliant. You would have to try other kinds of connections such as Component in that case. I'm not too familiar with connecting gaming consoles to the Intensity Shuttle, so you might have search around the forums for solutions on this.
Darrell Sim
Support Engineer
Blackmagic Design Asia
support-asia@blackmagicdesign.com

Hardpelicn

PostSat Dec 29, 2012 3:42 am

I've tried with every connection except for S-Video as I do not own anything S-video related.
I've ordered a RANESAS (or whatever it's called) usb3 card and from what I've read those things have an amazing success rate, so yeah :D

Return to Getting Started