Waste of $250

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

proTOMAHAWKgaming

Waste of $250

PostThu Dec 27, 2012 4:30 pm

Since I bought my black magic shuttle I wasn't able to connect it. after 14 + hours of struggling with it and dealing with support I then find out that my computer isn't compatible... I have the USB 3.0 but it doesn't say ANYTHING else. What a waste of money and now I cant Broadcast.

*IF YOUR USING A ALIENWARE COMPUTER DON'T BUY THIS PRODUCT IT WILL NOT WORK!*

Mike Squires

Re: Waste of $250

PostThu Dec 27, 2012 7:38 pm

If it's a desktop, simply purchase an internal PCI-E USB 3.0 card that is compatible. Many of us have done it, and it works fine. They only cost ~$25.

Dennis Sädtler

PostThu Dec 27, 2012 8:03 pm

Mike Squires wrote:If it's a desktop, simply purchase an internal PCI-E USB 3.0 card that is compatible. Many of us have done it, and it works fine. They only cost ~$25.

No, it won't work because you can't fit a PCIe Extension card into the X51 (there is only one PCIe Slot that's used by the graphics card). But in any other case this should work.

Other than that I can only say that your Alienware is not listed as compatible. The USB 3.0 Chipset should be but there seem to be some problems that make it incompatible. However, there are Alienware Desktops that have no problems with the Shuttle (I've used mine without problems on my friends computer).

brojooo

PostThu Dec 27, 2012 10:04 pm

... Wow same here waste of money. Time to sell it and buy an el gato

Raphaël Jacquot

PostFri Dec 28, 2012 8:28 am

sounds like the real problem is with the computer's implementation of USB3... or USB3 itself, which looks like yet another half-baked "standard"

Mickey Carson

PostFri Dec 28, 2012 4:16 pm

I bought an MSI GE620 laptop for this very issue. It works, but I am going to have to put an SSD in it to get any resolution higher than SD to record. The FAC on this product says the MSI is the only certified laptop - says in all the specs to check compatibility. I got my MSI for under a grand and it is a fine computer.

Mike Squires

PostFri Dec 28, 2012 10:27 pm

hypnoMickey wrote:I bought an MSI GE620 laptop for this very issue. It works, but I am going to have to put an SSD in it to get any resolution higher than SD to record. The FAC on this product says the MSI is the only certified laptop - says in all the specs to check compatibility. I got my MSI for under a grand and it is a fine computer.

You really only need a SSD if you want to record uncompressed HD. Changed the codec to Motion-JPEG (MJPEG), and your current hdd should be fine.

Return to Getting Started