What tool is more essential?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Cameron Mckinlay

What tool is more essential?

PostSun Dec 30, 2012 11:33 pm

Hey guys, so I am aspiring filmmaker but I travel for a living with a production show. My kit I travel with currently in regards to stabilization is my Manfrotto tripod, Glidecam and Pico Dolly. I find that the Pico is not getting much use because of limited useable surfaces to roll it on when shooting on the road. I have been looking at the Edelkrone Slider plus+ and the Aviator Travel Jib. I know there are better sliders and jibs on the market but these two fit the bill for me. Small, compact and light. They will traveling with my in my suitcase so weight and size are essential.
I really only have room for one or the other. What tool do you guys think is more essential in my kit to have? A jib or proper slider?
I shoot primarily music videos, short narratives and corporate promotional videos.
Any and all help and suggestions and experiences are appreciated :)
Cameron Mckinlay

10s

Re: What tool is more essential?

PostMon Dec 31, 2012 12:02 am

The tools employed should reflect your style/message, or another way to select tools is to determine what sort of shots you like and then acquire the tools that create those shots. You determine what is essential. You are the painter.

Cameron Mckinlay

PostMon Dec 31, 2012 12:20 am

10s wrote:The tools employed should reflect your style/message, or another way to select tools is to determine what sort of shots you like and then acquire the tools that create those shots. You determine what is essential. You are the painter.

If I wasn't traveling for a living I would buy both. But due to the constraints of traveling I can only have one:( I love Jib shots and would utilize that easily as well as slider shots. So that is where I am stuck.
I understand your reply but in the end regardless of the tools you have, you make it work. I have made it work thus far without either. So I guess my question is more of a poll then in that what tool do you guys find yourselves using more when shooting music videos, narrative and corporate promos. I have a few planned shoots coming up that I could use either the slider or the jib on...or neither. Its just a tool to expand the creativity in the angles and camera motion.
I am a painter that no matter what colors you put on my pallet I will incorporate them one way or another.
Cameron Mckinlay

Cameron Mckinlay

PostMon Dec 31, 2012 12:23 am

I have checked out almost everyone's reel on this website of those who posted their own websites etc. and almost everyone uses a job or slider shot. I love the fluidity and motion of both. Just can't decide which one will be more useful currently while limited on space and weight.
Cameron Mckinlay

10s

PostMon Dec 31, 2012 12:29 am

If everyone is doing it.... then go the other way! BEING UNIQUE IS WHAT THE WORLD WANTS.

Cameron Mckinlay

PostMon Dec 31, 2012 12:44 am

10s wrote:If everyone is doing it.... then go the other way! BEING UNIQUE IS WHAT THE WORLD WANTS.

YES!!!!! I agree with you 100% Thats very much how I live my life....I have some really unique ideas I have been waiting to capture with the acrobats I work with. I want to use my BMCC for it! Hurry Grant! lol
Cameron Mckinlay

Michael Sandiford

PostMon Dec 31, 2012 11:23 am

Make your own. Play with them, practice with them and then see if there's one you want to buy more than the other.

Cameron Mckinlay

PostMon Dec 31, 2012 11:33 am

I have worked with both. I decided on the edelkrone slider. I can fake crane shots with my glidecam and a chair or ladder.... Done it before. Good smooth slider shots are hard to replicate.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Cameron Mckinlay

Eric Santiago

PostMon Dec 31, 2012 1:57 pm

cmckinlay wrote:I decided on the edelkrone slider.

Looking at this as well.

I wonder how it deals with max weight in the field.

Might need to bolt tripod legs down in some cases :)

Cameron Mckinlay

PostMon Dec 31, 2012 9:19 pm

Eric Santiago wrote:
cmckinlay wrote:I decided on the edelkrone slider.

Looking at this as well.

I wonder how it deals with max weight in the field.

Might need to bolt tripod legs down in some cases :)

Yeah Im curious too, I just ordered mine but don't have my BMCC yet to tell you about weight. When I get it Ill post some results.
Cameron Mckinlay

Return to Cinematography