OFX is still a mess in OSX.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Cliff Secord

OFX is still a mess in OSX.

PostSat Sep 26, 2015 4:57 am

The OFX nightmare persists in OSX. Random errors and some shots have the effect from a previous shot carry over - if a B&W shot precedes a color clip with Filmconvert applied, the next shot will sometimes render B&W even though it is not. It's bizarre.

If I render cache then change a clip, Resolve reverts my data levels setting just for that shot to video levels and wrecks it. Nothing I do will correct it, not even undo. I can't cache render and I can't render-render with OFX filters applied. Making it kinda tough on me.

If the render cache worked properly I could manually solve my OFX problems. It also desperately needs a 're-render this clip' button somewhere. Any other method to do it manually wreaks irreparable havoc.

I also have no idea what's going on but every release of R12 since beta 3 has produced completely different looking renders. Beta 4's look was perfect. R12's smooth motion thing was awful. R12.0.1 lost the smooth motion but now looks noisy/lossy and the OFX film grain I've applied now looks slightly exaggerated. If there was a functioning, yet identical version of beta 4 I'd be in love.

Cliff Secord

Re: OFX is still a mess in OSX.

PostSat Sep 26, 2015 1:16 pm

UPDATE; I'm trying to drill down to the root issue and I discovered something interesting. I have a B&W clip followed by a color clip. In every attempt to render the project (either via standard render panel output or cached timeline render) the color clip inexplicably renders B&W. If I try to re-cache render, it throws the entire clip into a video/data tailspin it cannot recover from without exiting and restarting.

I started to notice that intermittently the thumbnail would be color and the clip B&W in the viewer or vice versa. The clip would also begin rendering in B&W then switch to color mid-shot.

I tried "update all thumbnails" and it corrected my timeline and viewer. Went to the render panel and it looked right but it still rendered out incorrectly. Went back to the color panel and my thumbnail was incorrect again. "Update all thumbnails" fixed it again (have to move the play head for the change to take effect). Renders wrong again.

So there seems to be some discord in that area. Idk how you have it setup to work but that may be a good place to start looking?

Mac Pro tower, 12 core 3.33GHz, 64GB ram
Dual GTX770's 4GB of VRAM each
All software updated to latest
Decklink mini
Full version of Resolve w/ dongle
Using Neat Video and Filmconvert

Dany Evans

PostWed Sep 30, 2015 12:20 pm

It's really annoying - why is there no release notes for 12.0.1?

https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=40140&p=232210&hilit=release+notes#p232210

We have updated to R12r and are back on R11 because R12r have to much bugs for working with clients. We use OFX on MAC & WIN every day.

Is the OFX issue on MAC only or also still on WIN?

Marc Wielage

PostThu Oct 01, 2015 12:40 am

Cliff Secord wrote:UPDATE; I'm trying to drill down to the root issue and I discovered something interesting. I have a B&W clip followed by a color clip. In every attempt to render the project (either via standard render panel output or cached timeline render) the color clip inexplicably renders B&W. If I try to re-cache render, it throws the entire clip into a video/data tailspin it cannot recover from without exiting and restarting.

I had a project a few months ago that went back and forth between B&W and color, and in fact I was using keyed grain and Tiffin OFX filters on the B&W as well. I had no issues, but this was fairly easy ProRes 422 HQ HD material.

My suggestion for a possible workaround: put the B&W material on a different video track and see what that does. The sledgehammer workaround would be to render out the B&W clips separately (maybe as a group), then roundtrip them back into Resolve and place them in the timeline without any color correction, since that's already baked in.

I get that this is not a real solution, but maybe this workaround will at least help you complete the project.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve