Intensity Shuttle 3.0 purple screen

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Squall5335

Intensity Shuttle 3.0 purple screen

PostTue Jan 01, 2013 8:57 pm

Please help me. I have tried calling BMD on their support line but you cant even talk to representatives, you have a leave a message and wait for them to call you back. Well I have been waiting for two weeks and no one wants to help me. I am trying to stream PS3/360 gameplay online. But I mainly wanted to record my Halo4 clips in hd and make a montage in Sony Vegas.

*UPDATE* -Making progress. the shuttle now works with my tv, but it wont work with my computer monitor which is what i want to use it on. Could it be because the cord is hdmi to dvi? one end has an hdmi male side the other has a dvi male end. i only have 2 dvi ports on my monitor. no hdmi.

I have an Alienware x51 Desktop.
some specs
•3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i5-3330 processor (6M Cache, up to 3.0 GHz)
•Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English
•8GB2 Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz
•1TB SATA 3Gb/s (7,200RPM) 32MB Cache
NVIDIA GeForce GT 545

has 2 usb 3.0 ports

The Shuttle is recognized in device manager. However when i plug in the output, which is an hdmi to dvi cord to my monitor, all I get is a purple screen. Even when nothing is plugged into the input. My Dell UltraSharp 23 inch only has dvi ports which is why i use Hdmi-Dvi cable. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I tried to download the drivers and it looks like I did, but maybe they arent in the right folder or something. And if anyone could tell me how to directly speak to a BMD Representative on the phone with out going thru their completely incompetent "leave a message for tech support" system that would be greatly appreciated. All i wanna do is use my intensity shuttle =[
Last edited by Squall5335 on Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Squall5335

Re: Intensity Shuttle 3.0 purple screen

PostWed Jan 02, 2013 11:38 pm

bump

Esa Kranz

PostThu Jan 03, 2013 12:17 pm

Yes, your problem is caused mainly by HDMI/DVI conversion:
DVI connection by default does not support HDCP encryption, and that is indicated by purple screen.

Dennis Sädtler

PostThu Jan 03, 2013 4:09 pm

Esa Kranz wrote:Yes, your problem is caused mainly by HDMI/DVI conversion:
DVI connection by default does not support HDCP encryption, and that is indicated by purple screen.

But, does the Shuttle ouput a HDCP encrypted signal?

I have a similar problem, I can capture fine with the shuttle and it works very good when I'm using my TV, but my Monitors don't recognize the output from the Shuttle. I bought a HDMI splitter, that fixed the problem for me.

Christine Peterson

PostThu Jan 03, 2013 8:49 pm

Squall5335 wrote:I have tried calling BMD on their support line but you cant even talk to representatives, you have a leave a message and wait for them to call you back.

If your call went to voicemail, you must have called outside of business hours or on a holiday. I'm sorry you weren't able to reach us!
Squall5335 wrote:Could it be because the cord is hdmi to dvi? one end has an hdmi male side the other has a dvi male end. i only have 2 dvi ports on my monitor. no hdmi.

This is the issue here. As I understand it, our products output a YUV color space which is commonly used in broadcast while DVI operates in the RGB color space which is commonly used in computer equipment. They are inherently different so you'll run into issues with that unless your monitor is able to convert a YUV color space signal into a RGB color space signal. A solution would be to plug into a TV or monitor that has a HDMI input. Using a HDMI to DVI cable unfortunately is not going to change the signaling type, just the connection type.
Christine Peterson

(Previously Community Relations Manager for Blackmagic Design)

Return to Getting Started