Intensity Shuttle Pro USB 3.0 with Sony Vaio F1 series

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

bluebee

Intensity Shuttle Pro USB 3.0 with Sony Vaio F1 series

PostMon Dec 17, 2012 7:14 am

Hi everyone,
I have purchased intensity shuttle pro a few days ago. since then I have been trying to function it but it doesnt.

Here is my laptop model and configuration:
Sony Vaio VPF13s8e
Chipset PM55
USB 3.0 Renesas

I have upgraded to the latest renesas driver version 2.1.39.0 and firmware 3034 (If I tried the 4. version It shows an error message "target device can not be found" or something like that). I have checked "Disable usb 3.0 power management functions" from host controller utility. When I install desktop video, reboot and plug in the shuttle to the usb 3.0 port , it says "usb controller bandwith exceeded".

I have tried to tweak from regedit and many other options like installing some older shuttle drivers but didn't succeed.

Do I have to give up trying? Is it about the chipset? Because in some threads people say this chipset is ok, but at some they say it is not. Also some say they can capture with vaio laptops but didnt mention the model.

Any suggestions? Please help :/

bluebee

Re: Intensity Shuttle Pro USB 3.0 with Sony Vaio F1 series

PostMon Dec 17, 2012 9:41 pm

Please help, im considering to give it back.

Sarah Jones

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Dec 22, 2012 1:04 am

We have not successfully utilized any of our USB 3.0 hardware on a Sony Vaio laptop. It is possible some users have gotten certain Vaio models to work, but I wouldn't be able to speak to what those specific models are without us having tested successfully on them.

On laptops we often see insufficient bandwidth on the USB 3.0 ports due to how the data is routed through the system. Updating your Renesas driver is always recommended, which you have done. We would also recommend making sure your system is up to date on its BIOS and all chipsets. You can likely go to Sony's site to get the latest updates for your system.

If after doing this you are still getting an "exceeded bandwidth" error, likely the USB 3.0 ports on your particular system lack the resources required to run our USB 3.0 hardware.
Sarah Jones

Blackmagic Design

bluebee

PostFri Jan 04, 2013 12:28 pm

Thanks for the reply. After doing all the necessary updates unfortunately my laptop didn't work. So I changed the model to a the thunderbolt shuttle and bought a macbook pro. Now It works great. But this was not the way I wanted to go. I think this usb 3.0 model should work under every kind of usb 3.0 desktop or laptop, especially with a high powered laptop like sony vaio f1. Dealing with that kind of driver updates etc. is a huge frustration. The documentation should be more clear. I have struggled with this problem for many days and nights. Please consider this as a good intention customer review and take it in account. Blackmagic products are great but these cons about shuttle usb 3.0 model has to be stated more clear at the web site.

For the people who plans to buy usb 3.0 model:

1. Check if your motherboard chipset is as required.
2. Update your usb driver to the latest. The usb model must be renesas.
3. Be sure that your usb 3.0 is second generation or higher

Return to Getting Started