NEED TO SELL BLACK MAGIC CAMERA SETUP!!!

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

melissa lancaster

NEED TO SELL BLACK MAGIC CAMERA SETUP!!!

PostFri Jan 04, 2013 2:37 am

I am canceling my order of this camera to get a GH3. I already purchased at $299 switchtronix battery pack plus the powerbase $79.95 to charge the battery. I bought a FAST SSD drive 320G and the Tokina 11-16mm 2.8 lens. Is anyone interested in some or all of this? If you buy it all I'll give you a good deal. All things are pretty much unopened and unused. Thanks :) email melissa at acappella dot com or reply on this post.

PaulDelVecchio

Re: NEED TO SELL BLACK MAGIC CAMERA SETUP!!!

PostFri Jan 04, 2013 4:21 am

Leaving the party so soon? But we just got here.... ;)
Paul Del Vecchio - Director/Producer
http://www.pauldv.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pdelvecchio814
http://www.facebook.com/pauldv
http://instagram.com/pdelv
Twitter: @pauldv

Aaron Scheiner

PostFri Jan 04, 2013 9:32 am

mmm... one slot closer to getting mine then ? :D

Andrea Cecchini

PostFri Jan 04, 2013 12:13 pm

Know that GH3 does not even approach the BMCC! :)

EVOSHOOTER

PostFri Jan 04, 2013 1:51 pm

cecchand wrote:Know that GH3 does not even approach the BMCC! :)

If ther is no raw recording in bmcc ! And only prores 1080 what is your choice ....?
( around same budget )

We do saw gh3 testing clips it's amazing , for me gh2 also good choice , the sensor that in gh2 and the way how its recording video and recompressed in to the sensor better than gh3 and i think all gh2 user do agree with me the thing is getting lenses and lighting to be closer , they are better than 5d and Nikon and Sony dslr camera .

B&h store Thay are making offers on 5d right now , you can get 5d mark iii with 105mm lens by 3500 .
I expect if They want to start shipping to the people who aiming to order it now they will get it in march or April maybe more you don't know , they do start bit for who payed last 6 month and they are many ,

A little bit of patient many dslr comming , canon or other brands will not let bmcc take the lead for sure...
At the end how much you have is what you get

Martin Landsburg

PostFri Jan 04, 2013 2:12 pm

email sent

Andrea Cecchini

PostFri Jan 04, 2013 5:15 pm

EVOSHOOTER wrote:
cecchand wrote:Know that GH3 does not even approach the BMCC! :)

If ther is no raw recording in bmcc ! And only prores 1080 what is your choice ....?
( around same budget )

We do saw gh3 testing clips it's amazing , for me gh2 also good choice , the sensor that in gh2 and the way how its recording video and recompressed in to the sensor better than gh3 and i think all gh2 user do agree with me the thing is getting lenses and lighting to be closer , they are better than 5d and Nikon and Sony dslr camera .

B&h store Thay are making offers on 5d right now , you can get 5d mark iii with 105mm lens by 3500 .
I expect if They want to start shipping to the people who aiming to order it now they will get it in march or April maybe more you don't know , they do start bit for who payed last 6 month and they are many ,

A little bit of patient many dslr comming , canon or other brands will not let bmcc take the lead for sure...
At the end how much you have is what you get

ProRes + color science is enough to beat every camera (GH3 in primis) regardless sensor size.

Bill Rich

PostFri Jan 04, 2013 5:58 pm

Hey Melissa,

The BMCC is an amazing camera, but I understand that it might not be for everyone. The wait for delivery aside,
The workflow associated with the camera can be intimidating. Is my computer fast enough to run Resolve? Will I need to buy a new more powerful machine? How many drives will I need to buy to shot/edit a single project? Not to mention having to learn Resolve/Photoshop/lightroom etc. .. These are all the things you need to consider when you buy a camera as powerful as the BMCC.. and that's just scratching the surface.. Yes you can shoot ProRes.. but the real strong point of the BMCC is it's raw recording..

To be honest these are the things that have been rattling around in my brain as well.. but I have cameras that I can use that shoot great compressed video.. I want to step up my game and bring my work to a higher standard of quality. I want to shoot images that will look amazing on the big screen as well as TV and online.. and for me the BMCC is the tool that can do that. It's not for everyone.. Bloom loves it.. but prefers his C300 because of the easier workflow.. Remember.. a camera is a tool.. if you don't need that tool.. there's really no need to buy it just because it's the newest tool on the market.. but if you find that you are working on a project that you need a cinema camera.. take a look at the BMCC again.. I'm pretty sure the camera isn't going away any time soon!

For what I've seen the GH3 is really nice!
Bill Rich
PhotoJournalist/Editor/Producer
Los Angeles, California

Justin Jones

PostFri Jan 04, 2013 6:40 pm

I made the same jump you did. While I know I will miss the gorgeous image quality the BMCC produces, there is no right answer to this dilemma. Its really a "6 in one hand, half dozen in another" kind of situation. Don't listen to all the griefers about the BMCC being "superior". It's just a tool, and is only as good as the craftsmen.

The GH3 is a great little camera that shoots clean video, it cant hold a flame up to the quality of video of the BMCC in comparison. Especially when comparing color space and the flexibility of shooting raw. This gives an incredible edge to BMCC. However, "The bmcc costs 3k" is a delusion too. In fact, the entire camera is an illusion since most people don't even have it yet.

Its not the most ergonomic camera available. There is no arguing that. Its heavy. No articulation in the screen is a huge problem for run and gun shooters on non-traditional sets. The usability of the screen in direct sunlight is questionable at best, and the audio solution, as far as I am aware of, is kind of a mess right now. Hopefully the audio and usability issues with lens compatibly gets ironed out with firmware updates but we will see.

The SSD size and ingestion is a huge issue if your shooting raw which will result in many shooters (myself included) just shooting in ProresHQ. At which point your really not that far away from the GH3 but you don't get any of the perks of using the GH3. Prores 4:2:2 is much nicer then 8 bit video but the GH3 has amazing gradation of colors, pretty sweet DR, very sharp wide's, and the big one - over cranking! 50 and 60p. That nifty WiFi feature for wireless monitoring and control is really just icing on the cake.

When compared, what you gain on the GH3 you lose on the BMCC and vice versa so its really a matter of realizing that the camera is just a tool to make your project happen. Between both of these tools, which camera will work better for your situation?

Bill Rich

PostFri Jan 04, 2013 8:59 pm

There have been many times that I've been going over the same thing in my mind.. do I really need a BMCC.. that GH3 looks really sweet and for the same $$ I could get the camera and a few sweet lenses.. but then I see another video someone shot with the BMCC and it takes away all the doubts..
Bill Rich
Los Angeles, California

sean mclennan

PostFri Jan 04, 2013 10:11 pm

Bill Rich wrote:but then I see another video someone shot with the BMCC and it takes away all the doubts..

THIS

I'm sorry, but as impressive as the output from the GH3 is, for what it is, it's not comparable to the BMCC. I haven't seen anything that is for less than $10K. That's "my" bottom line.

So when I start watching C100 demos, 1Dx stills and vids (I still shoot 70% stills)....plus the fact I have a 5dMkII...I start to doubt why I'm waiting to buy a BMCC. Then some new footage from a BMCC somewhere is released and I'm floored all over again.

For me, for what I like and the image I want to create, there is just nothing close to the BMCC short of a scarlet or F3/5.

10s

PostSat Jan 05, 2013 2:59 am

I'm a big advocate of GH 1,2,3 because they turn out great images and will work on many projects with amazing results, but I'm an even bigger advocate of the BMCC. The ability of BMCC raw footage with CC is the game changer. It takes us to a higher level league, ...which includes all sorts of extra complicated hoops to jump through and associated costs, but all this results in industry standard cinema images that have been unobtainable until now at this low cost. This is a true "democratization" tool. Never have we been so close to Hollywood technical standards; in fact with this tool, we are now there! :-)

All these tools are worth acquisiton and mastery, so let us move forward and go make our movie or documentary regardless of the chosen tool. The world wants to see our best efforts.

Bill Rich

PostSat Jan 05, 2013 3:36 am

Well said Mr or Mrs/Miss/Ms 10s!
Bill Rich
Los Angeles, California

Return to Cinematography