shipping when?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Rakesh Malik

Re: shipping when?

PostFri Dec 04, 2015 4:08 pm

The worst was in Into Dorkness where not only was the role swap between Kirk and Spock rather un-imaginative, they felt like they had to call it out blatantly.

It was like saying, "no we didn't just remake The Wrath of Khan, we made a new movie. Really. See?"

But in reality it was the same movie. Sigh.
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

rick.lang

PostFri Dec 04, 2015 6:52 pm

Oh, delicious! Another completely unrelated tangent to help make the waiting for a sensor tolerable.

Fully support Jason's comments. CGI is overused and the storytelling of a script abused by all the sizzle without the steak. Hope the story is the strongest element this time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Rakesh Malik

PostFri Dec 04, 2015 7:03 pm

rick.lang wrote:Oh, delicious! Another completely unrelated tangent to help make the waiting for a sensor tolerable.

Fully support Jason's comments. CGI is overused and the storytelling of a script abused by all the sizzle without the steak. Hope the story is the strongest element this time.

And let's hope that the midichlorian idiocy doesn't make a comeback.
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Ben Watson

PostFri Dec 04, 2015 7:49 pm

I know. I hate when people feel the need to explain away mystical elements of a story. Dang, just let people wonder..

Michel Talaïa

PostFri Dec 04, 2015 8:35 pm

BMD vision of Time is so mystical ! :lol:

Tristan Pemberton

PostFri Dec 04, 2015 8:38 pm

Michel Talaïa wrote:BMD vision of Time is so mystical ! :lol:

Nice segue to bring it back on thread!
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

C.A.M. Gerlach

PostFri Dec 04, 2015 9:58 pm

Can't agree more with your JJ Abrams digression, Mr. Johnston. I mean the new Star Trek films were sort of fun to watch, in the same way taking a big LEGO creation you built in your childhood and smashing it into tiny bits would be really fun to watch, but it leaves you with an empty feeling inside that the old thoughtful films used to fill. If they could have just made it and not deflowered the name Star Trek with it, then it would have been fine and I would have gone on my merry way, and maybe even watched it on Netflix or something if I was board. But they just had to call it Star Trek, didn't they...
Jason R. Johnston wrote:But I ain't going to spend more than $8 for a ticket

Same for me, except $0, since I certainly wouldn't be going if we didn't happen to get the tickets free. Its not a midnight screening, its a special early release so it begins at 7PM. And if its that bad, I can just close my eyes and listen to the surely glorious score...
Rakesh Malik wrote:And let's hope that the midichlorian idiocy doesn't make a comeback.

I might just walk out...
CAM Gerlach (Christopher A. M. Gerlach)
I am not an expert; take any advice I give with a grain of salt.

Jacob Pattinson

PostSat Dec 05, 2015 1:01 pm

look were all excited for Star Wars ... just want my hands on this camera !

is there any footage of the 4.6k RAW footage or is it not ready yet?

Chiaroscuro

PostSat Dec 05, 2015 3:54 pm

...Hello darkness, my old friend...
Jaco Spies
Visual Artist

John Simatos

PostSat Dec 05, 2015 5:21 pm

Rakesh Malik wrote:
rick.lang wrote:Oh, delicious! Another completely unrelated tangent to help make the waiting for a sensor tolerable.

That's been replaced with being a 'force sensitive'. My eyes rolled as I wrote that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rakesh Malik

PostSat Dec 05, 2015 5:47 pm

John Simatos wrote:
Rakesh Malik wrote:

That's been replaced with being a 'force sensitive'. My eyes rolled as I wrote that.

The farce is strong with this one.
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

ronhaley

PostSat Dec 05, 2015 7:33 pm

Will they be able to announce new products at NAB when they haven't shipped there!?

Rakesh Malik

PostSat Dec 05, 2015 9:23 pm

They have done it before :-o
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Donnell Henry

PostSat Dec 05, 2015 10:43 pm

Ok so I spoke to Bm on Friday. What was said to me was that they want to release the camera with all features enabled, they don't want to be doing firmware updates every 2 weeks to enable features like they did for the bmpc 4K, Ursa and others so they're working very hard to finish testing so this camera can be released ..they're aiming hard before the end of December as they're trying to get it in people's hands before the year is out. It makes sense to me.. Being that I had the the bmpc 4K when it was first released I had to do the first shoot of my film in pro res .. Because it took weeks before Raw was enabled. So I get that this time around they want to give us a finished product. I can appreciate that better than getting a camera that I have to wait for features to be enabled like my last 2 cameras.
GODS CREATE

Ivon Visalli

PostSat Dec 05, 2015 11:07 pm

Thanks for that update Donnell.

Donnell Henry

PostSat Dec 05, 2015 11:15 pm

No prob Ivon
GODS CREATE

Gene Kochanowsky

PostSun Dec 06, 2015 1:00 am

Donnell Henry wrote:Ok so I spoke to Bm on Friday. What was said to me was that they want to release the camera with all features enabled, they don't want to be doing firmware updates every 2 weeks to enable features like they did for the bmpc 4K, Ursa and others so they're working very hard to finish testing so this camera can be released ..

This is probably a good strategy for the product cycle after next. Rather than starting a new product development cycle while still trying to finish the previous products, they can concentrate on the next products full bore with occasional fix releases for the previous products.

Not that BM is much more than a black box as far as knowing what's going on inside. They might be trying to get staggered teams going.

Norbert von der Heidt

PostSun Dec 06, 2015 1:11 am

Donnell Henry wrote:Ok so I spoke to Bm on Friday. What was said to me was that they want to release the camera with all features enabled, they don't want to be doing firmware updates every 2 weeks to enable features like they did for the bmpc 4K, Ursa and others.

Sorry, but I'd rather have the camera in my hot little hands now and do daily updates if necessary, but I may just be an oddball ;)
Norbert von der Heidt

ELECTRIC IMAGES
www.electricimages.com.au

rick.lang

PostSun Dec 06, 2015 3:27 am

Donnell, were you brave enough to ask what is being worked on in terms of being ready to release? Maybe it's a host of things but I wonder if they indicated anything, such as the global shutter or raw or color science or other things? Thanks.

Rick Lang

Mark Evans

PostSun Dec 06, 2015 7:21 am

Norbert von der Heidt wrote:
Donnell Henry wrote:Ok so I spoke to Bm on Friday. What was said to me was that they want to release the camera with all features enabled, they don't want to be doing firmware updates every 2 weeks to enable features like they did for the bmpc 4K, Ursa and others.

Sorry, but I'd rather have the camera in my hot little hands now and do daily updates if necessary, but I may just be an oddball ;)

I'll second that - I mean how long is that piece of string?

Donnell Henry

PostSun Dec 06, 2015 1:06 pm

rick.lang wrote:Donnell, were you brave enough to ask what is being worked on in terms of being ready to release? Maybe it's a host of things but I wonder if they indicated anything, such as the global shutter or raw or color science or other things? Thanks.

Hi Rick, I did ask for specifics on what exactly was holding up the camera the rep said he couldn't comment on exactly what they're specifically working on. That's when he told me about the general idea of sending this camera out with everything it was advertised to do.
GODS CREATE

Donnell Henry

PostSun Dec 06, 2015 1:14 pm

Mark Evans wrote:
Norbert von der Heidt wrote:

I'll second that - I mean how long is that piece of string?

Norbert and mark you are not oddballs ..if they shipped the camera now without the updates I'd buy it as well and wait for updates..if you guys go back on some earlier threads you can see the wrath of the community when they don't get those updates on time. The thread is probably as long as this one :) I know what its like to have an unfinished product waiting for updates ..that's a another bunch of strings that gets dangled in front of us. So this time around I can understand and wait a bit for a finished product
GODS CREATE

rick.lang

shipping when?

PostSun Dec 06, 2015 3:37 pm

Some of these dangling strings may not affect some people who would understand the camera isn't finished and might use it with an approach that they can learn about it as is. But others will put it to work the day after they receive it. Results will vary depending upon the shoot, but not hard to imagine some will be disappointed with their results. And some will be upset that the camera shipped and they've fully paid for it when they discover global shutter is missing or raw is unsupported or HFR windows aren't there and that's what they need most!

I'm in Yogi Berra's camp when he said, "It's not over 'til it's over." The modern day equivalent meme: "It's ready when it's ready."

Last edited by rick.lang on Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rick Lang

rick.lang

shipping when?

PostSun Dec 06, 2015 3:38 pm

Double post.
Rick Lang

Gene Kochanowsky

PostSun Dec 06, 2015 4:35 pm

Yes Rick, it can be very confusing to the buyer if they are expecting a pro camera out of the box but BM is acting like they are selling to hobbyists. I'm a hobbyist so I don't mind.

Donnell Henry

PostSun Dec 06, 2015 4:42 pm

rick.lang wrote:Some of these dangling strings may not affect some people who would understand the camera isn't finished and might use it with an approach that they can learn about it as is. But others will put it to work the day after they receive it. Results will vary depending upon the shoot, but not hard to imagine some will be disappointed with their results. And some will be upset that the camera shipped and they've fully paid for it when they discover global shutter is missing or raw is unsupported or HFR windows aren't there and that's what they need most!

I'm in Yogi Berra's camp when he said, "It's not over 'til it's over." The modern day equivalent meme: "It's ready when it's ready."

ABSOLUTELY AGREE!
Great post Rick
GODS CREATE

rick.lang

shipping when?

PostSun Dec 06, 2015 4:59 pm

Kim, just speculation on my part, but maybe they've learned from their past performance re seriously incomplete firmware and want to turn over a new leaf on these two cameras and one new sensor that are their best opportunity to make a good impression out of the starting gate. They may feel that they are in a horse race with Red Raven. No point in winning the horse race with a horse that will be disqualified for a false start: missing features or compromised performance. Sure they want to win the race too, but that's secondary to ensuring a very good product is released that will be well regarded from day one this time.

As for their perennial "shipping in July" mantra at each NAB, you may be surprised next year. Again, lesson learned, finally. My opinion only.

Rick Lang

Gene Kochanowsky

PostSun Dec 06, 2015 5:24 pm

Rick, you have a point. The later the project the better it needs to be.

Leon Benzakein

PostSun Dec 06, 2015 8:12 pm

rick.lang wrote:As for their perennial "shipping in July" mantra at each NAB, you may be surprised next year. Again, lesson learned, finally. My opinion only.

I discovered that my BMD "July" is mid November.
That is when I was able to purchase the VA off the shelf at the local store and I seem to remember purchasing the BMPCC off the shelf at the same time of the year some time back from the same store.

I think that this is part of the "magic" in Blackmagic.
Or maybe I am just a romantic. ;)
Television: Lighting/Cameraman, O.B. Camera Operator, Experience in EFP, EPG and ENG , Grip, Lamp Operator
Film: Grip, Lamp Operator
Theater: Lighting Designer, Light board Operator, Stage Electrician, Stage Management

Denny Smith

PostSun Dec 06, 2015 9:07 pm

Yes, I agree for general availability. But, the Pocket camera did technically ship its first shipment in the end of July, and I got mine in early August, from that first shipment.

But, I think BM is being wise, in holding up shipment until the camera is really ready to use, nothing missing, and the sensor calibrated, which is what I understand they are in the process of doing, according to Jonh Brawley in another post.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Norbert von der Heidt

PostMon Dec 07, 2015 12:29 am

Hi all,

I ain't gonna find my Mini 4.6K EF under the tree this year! I've just had an update from New Magic, the main Aussie BMD distributor.

"Just keeping you in the loop… we have some more slippage but again nothing massive… right now we “may” see some units last week of Dec but I am getting the impression its going to be early Jan."

So all I can say is, it's gonna be a hot boring holiday season for me and the longest month long wait of my life. :(

Merry Xmas to everyone, anyway.
Attachments
santa tree v2.png
santa tree v2.png (61.34 KiB) Viewed 10269 times
Last edited by Norbert von der Heidt on Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Norbert von der Heidt

ELECTRIC IMAGES
www.electricimages.com.au

Mark Evans

PostMon Dec 07, 2015 1:27 am

Norbert von der Heidt wrote:Hi all,

I ain't gonna find my Mini 4.6K EF under the tree this year! I've just had an update from the Aussie BMD distributor.

"Just keeping you in the loop… we have some more slippage but again nothing massive… right now we “may” see some units last week of Dec but I am getting the impression its going to be early Jan."

So all I can say is, it's gonna be a hot boring holiday season for me and the longest month long wait of my life. :(

Merry Xmas to everyone, anyway.

At least your Aussie distributor is talking - my Aussie distributor says nothing unless I email them and then its very little. They're polite enough but I get the feeling that distributors aren't impressed with dealing with Blackmagic sadly. I was being warned of the wait and told to check out this sony and that canon.

Rakesh Malik

PostMon Dec 07, 2015 1:40 am

Mark Evans wrote:At least your Aussie distributor is talking - my Aussie distributor says nothing unless I email them and then its very little. They're polite enough but I get the feeling that distributors aren't impressed with dealing with Blackmagic sadly.

All of the Black Magic resellers I've talked to have expressed a similar sentiment about working with BMD.
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Jason Callaway

PostMon Dec 07, 2015 2:17 am

Hi Everyone,
I'm usually not one to write on forums but due to some recent news I can't hold my silence. Like many of you I ordered my Ursa Mini 4.6 back in April and have been waiting ever sense. Needless to say once July came and passed I became extremely annoyed with BMD. But as of late with the release of test footage, I began to think we could quite possibly be seeing the camera soon... I couldn't be more wrong.

Through my work I have had the opurtunity to work and build friendships with several members of the BMD team. (who shall remain unnamed for obvious reasons) Well come Friday after several months of prying I finally received some insider information. BMD is apparently very behind, currently the camera isn't scheduled for mass production until February with "a slight chance it may take longer". To be blunt I am f&$king pissed, I'm sorry I know we are all fans of BMD but come on what kind of company does this and doesn't talk to their customers.

I'm going to keep my place in line at b&h however if it doesn't ship by April I may just cancel and see what nab2016 brings. I apologize for the rant I just believe the customers should know.

Tom Jones

PostMon Dec 07, 2015 2:32 am

Rakesh Malik wrote:
Mark Evans wrote:At least your Aussie distributor is talking - my Aussie distributor says nothing unless I email them and then its very little. They're polite enough but I get the feeling that distributors aren't impressed with dealing with Blackmagic sadly.

All of the Black Magic resellers I've talked to have expressed a similar sentiment about working with BMD.

Yeah my retailer is the same. When I rang up to cancel my order of the URSA Mini he didn't speak highly of Blackmagic haha Not a great sign when the resellers have had enough too.

Michael McCaffrey

PostMon Dec 07, 2015 4:16 am

Maybe we've all had it wrong this whole time. BMD said shipping in July.. what they failed to tell us is that they meant July of 2016... in which case, at this rate, they are right on target.
Configuration:
Resolve Studio (Always the Latest)
Windows 11 Pro Workstation
32 Core AMD Ryzen Threadripper 256GB RAM
RTX 4090
RTX 3090
100G NAS
(1) 32" Ultra-Wide Display, (1) 4K 27” Display

Jacob Pattinson

PostMon Dec 07, 2015 5:03 am

Spoke to RED about the raven and they said directly to me that they will ship February ... at least they speak to there potential/customers

Jason R. Johnston

PostMon Dec 07, 2015 5:06 am

"This has all happened before. It will all happen again." - ancient Colonial proverb, Battlestar Galactica (RDM)

We've all heard the "it's actually releasing July [insert the following year's date]" joke since 2012. It's still not ha-ha funny.
JASONRJOHNSTON.COM | CINEMATOGRAPHER | DIRECTOR | EDITOR | COLORIST
RED Komodo | DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5 | 2023 MacBook M2 Pro 14

Perry Mulder

PostMon Dec 07, 2015 10:08 am

Hi guys, I came back last week from a 2 week trip to Amsterdam for IDFA (doc. Filmfestival), There I spoke to someone from Vocas who was showing the Arri Amira, awesome camera by the way:-). I told him about my next doc and that I wanted to use the URSA MINI 4.6k with the Vocas wooden handgrip. He told me they would let me test the 4.6k in their showroom as soon as it arrived. They said they expected it to arrive late januari or februari, according to their last source, they will mail me as soon as they get some more info from BMD to make the appointment to visit them in Hilversum(NL) So I also think we wont see the 4.6k in 2015 for those who still had their hopes up.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn HTC One met Tapatalk
"http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.php?15224-My-first-82min-featurelength-film-(filmed-with-BMPC)"

Norbert Bielan

PostMon Dec 07, 2015 5:39 pm

Any word on the Micro Cinema?

Paul Swan

PostMon Dec 07, 2015 5:45 pm

Something tells me it doesn't exist
Or due to some logics lloking at Ursa mini they experience problems with global shutter and 13stops

Denny Smith

PostMon Dec 07, 2015 5:58 pm

I think Paul, you are on to something. Since the test cameras did not have GS activated, and the Micro case is a done item, the only remaining link is the global shutter, and it is one (if not the main) issue holding up release of both cameras. After all the GS is the only thing the two cameras have in common. Pocket cam S16 sensor is not new (like the 4.6 sensor which us also delaying the Mini 4.6) that could cause a delay in both cameras, possibly?
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Ryan Glass

PostMon Dec 07, 2015 9:29 pm

If GS is the only issue holding it back, damn. Release the camera w/o GS and enable it later via firmware.

Or you know, communicate to the customers what is actually going on. Cancelled my pre-order with B&H, however I'll pick one up through my new vendor if it's ever released.

Such a shame.

Note Suwanchote

PostMon Dec 07, 2015 9:35 pm

Ryan Glass wrote:If GS is the only issue holding it back, damn. Release the camera w/o GS and enable it later via firmware.

Or you know, communicate to the customers what is actually going on. Cancelled my pre-order with B&H, however I'll pick one up through my new vendor if it's ever released.

Such a shame.

:D :idea:
lightformfilm.com
vimeo.com/Suwanchote

Peter Wood

PostTue Dec 08, 2015 9:32 am

Well today my three B4 lens mounts arrived for the Ursa Mini 4k.
A beautiful piece of glass and metal. Now very much looking forward to the firmware update for the B4 Lens operations such as iris. Return video works. The lens gets power but thats about it for now.

Woody :)
Woody

Ben Watson

PostWed Dec 09, 2015 3:49 am

Dear Santa,

All I want for Christmas is my

FREAKIN 4.6!!!

Sincerely,
-Mr. Impatient

Michael McCaffrey

shipping when?

PostWed Dec 09, 2015 4:16 am

Wouldn't "impatience," imply the time in which you are willing to wait is far shorter than the expected time in which the 4.6k was supposed to ship? What if your patience exceeded the time in which the camera was expected to ship by 5 months.. could it still be said you were impatient? Nay, you are not impatient, on the contrary we have all been very patient. The burden of negligence therefore lays on the shoulders of BMD who broke their promise, and to this day has not acknowledged it, apologized, or offered an update or an explanation -- and in light of all this how can you say then, you are impatient, while all that was promised you is denied and ignored. Yea, we should all get an award for being so patient.

I will be patient until the Raven takes flight. Then bid BMD a permanent farewell. Not falling into this black hole again.
Configuration:
RTX 4090
RTX 3090
100G NAS

Jacob Pattinson

PostWed Dec 09, 2015 6:27 am

Michael McCaffrey wrote:Wouldn't "impatience," imply the time in which you are willing to wait is far shorter than the expected time in which the 4.6k was supposed to ship? What if your patience exceeded the time in which the camera was expected to ship by 5 months.. could it still be said you were impatient? Nay, you are not impatient, on the contrary we have all been very patient. The burden of negligence therefore lays on the shoulders of BMD who broke their promise, and to this day has not acknowledged it, apologized, or offered an update or an explanation -- and in light of all this how can you say then, you are impatient, while all that was promised you is denied and ignored. Yea, we should all get an award for being so patient.

I will be patient until the Raven takes flight. Then bid BMD a permanent farewell. Not falling into this black hole again.

I think a lot of people are thinking this. but your looking at almost double the price for the raven to be fully set up

Rakesh Malik

PostWed Dec 09, 2015 6:40 am

Jacob Pattinson wrote:I think a lot of people are thinking this. but your looking at almost double the price for the raven to be fully set up

Only if you want it to work ;)
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Michael McCaffrey

PostWed Dec 09, 2015 7:22 am

I'd pay twice as much if they will ship it.
Configuration:
RTX 4090
RTX 3090
100G NAS
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography