SLR Magic APO and Anamorphic Cinema Lenses

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Chris Cronin

Re: SLR Magic APO and Anamorphic Cinema Lenses

PostTue Oct 20, 2015 8:14 pm

Interesting.

Looking forward to seeing what the UK prices are on these. Anamorphic lenses have a great look, but god knows I'd have to sell a kidney to afford, say, a Cooke.

rick.lang

PostTue Oct 20, 2015 8:17 pm

Since the lens has only been demonstrated at various venues, I don't think there is a vendor taking pre-orders even though the introductory price $999 has been confirmed by SLR Magic. The best website for SLR Magic is often the UK site, but both the UK site and the home site don't even quote a price, let alone take orders. I've put in a request for a pre-order list and will get back to you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Paul Kapp

PostWed Oct 21, 2015 12:04 am

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Last edited by Paul Kapp on Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew Koutsou

PostFri Oct 23, 2015 8:55 am

Would you say these lenses are better then the xeen?
Andrew Koutsou
Blue Wolf Productions Ltd
Join the discussion -everything about film
https://twitter.com/FilmsWolf

rick.lang

PostFri Oct 23, 2015 4:00 pm

Andrew, I believe the SLR Magic APO lenses are smaller and somewhat lighter.

It will take longer to acquire a complete set of them as I imagine it will be a year or more before you have a six lens APO set. I suspect the six lens XEEN set will be available in less than a year.

The APO are about half the cost.

The APO should have better control of chromatic aberration. It remains to be seen how well lens flares are controlled until we the production lenses in use. The build quality on both may be comparable but difficult to make an overall judgment with at least a three lens set in use. Both will work well with a matte box.

I also like the idea of using the SLR Magic Vari-ND Mark II 82mm screw-on filter with the APO when working light. I like that filter better than a built-in filter with the possible exception of the FS5 built-in electronic variable ND.

I like the APO iris adjustment much better than the Xeen as the APO squeezes the small aperture settings close together (where I don't plan on shooting if I can avoid it) and gives much more room to carefully adjust the large aperture settings.

For my money (limited budget always a factor), I'm going with the APO at this point. I like both companies and appreciate the excellent communications I've had with both. Almost sorry I have to make a choice, but unlike many people here, I have a fantasy of working with no more than ten lenses!

Rick Lang

Jay Soriano

PostSat Oct 24, 2015 3:13 pm

Rick can you clarify the significance of having an 82mm vs a 77mm filter? Thanks!
2015 15" Macbook Pro 2.5 GHz i7
macOS Mojave 10.14.6
AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2 GB
16GB RAM
FCPX/DaVinci Resolve Studio
Akitio Thunder2 Quad Mini
Envoy Pro EX

rick.lang

PostSat Oct 24, 2015 8:32 pm

Jay, I believe the APO lenses take an 82mm screw-on filter. The SLR Magic ANAMORPHOT CINÉ lenses are also 82mm.

Rick Lang

Jason R. Johnston

PostSun Oct 25, 2015 2:20 am

Jay Soriano wrote:Rick can you clarify the significance of having an 82mm vs a 77mm filter? Thanks!

82mm filters are bigger than 77mm ones which means they will fit a much larger lens. This also means that you can step up a smaller lens to an 82mm filter without degrading your image in the same way that stepping down to a filter smaller than your lens would. Say, a lens with a 77mm filter thread has a 58mm filter attached via step down rings. This would introduce a vignette and possibly chromatic abberation to your image.
JASONRJOHNSTON.COM | CINEMATOGRAPHER | DIRECTOR | EDITOR | COLORIST
RED Komodo | DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5 | 2023 MacBook M2 Pro 14

Paul Kapp

PostSat Oct 31, 2015 10:12 pm

Last edited by Paul Kapp on Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

rick.lang

PostSun Nov 01, 2015 4:33 am

Well that's interesting. This may be the prototype that John Brawley tested so many moons ago with aluminum mount I believe. The production model apparently has improvements with better image quality plus a titanium mount $999!

Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostMon Nov 16, 2015 10:51 pm

Can this be it, finally? Don't turn that dial!

https://twitter.com/slrmagic/status/666314852441288704

Rick Lang

Tristan Pemberton

PostMon Nov 16, 2015 11:04 pm

I certainly hope so! Well spotted.
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

rick.lang

PostTue Nov 17, 2015 1:47 am

I'm beginning to gain some sympathy for the regular press and the difficulty they face to ensure late breaking news is really true. After today's fiasco about the false alarm over the 4.6K camera shipping, I think I would have lost my press job.

I need this one to feel some redemption for past sins!

Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostTue Nov 17, 2015 1:56 am

Rick, we are at best not any more accurate than the "weather guessers" so press on...
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostTue Nov 17, 2015 2:06 am

Thanks, Denny.

Rick Lang

Jason R. Johnston

PostTue Nov 17, 2015 7:04 am

Do your thing, Rick. Check your sources. Wear that fancy fedora. Keep enjoying that fresh Canadian air, probably. And let us know what you think of your new APO 50mm lens in about a month from now. I just called it. Boom.

rick.lang

PostTue Nov 17, 2015 3:03 pm

Jason, you could well be correct, as more than one manufacturer is likely feeling the pressure to get something out the door by year end. As for SLR Magic's new lens at InterBEE 2015, it doesn't appear to be the APO or even particularly relevant to this forum, so the countdown to the end of the year continues.

https://twitter.com/slrmagic/status/666529834667892736

Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostWed Dec 02, 2015 4:01 am

Now that the XEENs can be had for under $2,000 when they are being sold as a promotion, I'm suspecting that might become the MSRP next year as the three additional lenses become available (14mm/16mm, 35mm, 100mm/135mm), and some of the larger vendors such as B&H Photo may put on a six lens set promotional price of about $9,000 or $1,500 per lens (a deep discount similar to what they did with the Sony CinéAlta six lens set for $12,900). When the SLR Magic APO lenses hit the street at $999 each, it's going to be a horse race among these three and perhaps other entries to see who wins the most hearts and minds of the indie cinematographers.

If the prices mentioned here hold true next year, who do you think will win, place, and show in this horse race? Which would you want if you were in the market for new primes?

Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostSun Dec 06, 2015 4:25 pm

The APO PL lens is available for preorder:

"Dear All,

Thank you for the patience. Please kindly email support@slrmagic.com on how to pre-order the lens. We have 2 more focal lengths planned to complement the 50mm T2.1 APO.

We will ship the 50mm T2.1 APO in limited quantities in December.

We are working on adapters to ensure best image quality out of our APO primes. We would be offering PL-EF, PL-F, PL-E-mount, and PL-mFT adapters around February.

Kind rgds.,
Andrew"

Edit
The other two lenses to be announced in 2016 include a wider and a longer focal length but no further details regarding that beyond what SLR Magic has posted earlier. At least SLR Magic will get a better idea of the market's interest for this first lens although it will be tempered due to there only being a single focal length at this point. On the URSA/Mini 4.6K sensor the 50mm will have a horizontal angle of view of about 28 degrees. On the URSA/Mini/BMPC 4K, angle of view about 25 degrees. Similar to a 70mm and 80mm lens respectively on a 135 film frame (normalized to 16:9 aspect ratio).

Rick Lang

Tristan Pemberton

PostSun Dec 06, 2015 8:40 pm

Thanks for the update Rick!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

Paul Kapp

PostSun Dec 06, 2015 10:32 pm

Last edited by Paul Kapp on Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

rick.lang

PostMon Dec 07, 2015 2:17 am

Paul Kapp wrote:... That 28 degree FOV of the 50mm APO will be great for focus pulls but not wide enough for many shots indoors.
I can see myself using a B4 zoom until the SLR Magic 32 and 85 arrive.

I've thought about that too. The long march to quality budget PL cinema glass is taking longer that I ever anticipated. The experience of shooting with a ENG HD B4 zoom would be fun and totally different than using the APO.

I am now thinking of ordering the APO PL with the SLR Magic PL--EF adapter so at least I can use the lens... on my Canon stills camera. Maybe I should get PL--F and use it on my Nikon film camera. So that's my gung-ho outlook. But will I be more practical and cautious and wait until I have the URSA Mini PL camera?

Rick Lang

Paul Kapp

PostMon Dec 07, 2015 2:40 am

Last edited by Paul Kapp on Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jason R. Johnston

PostMon Dec 07, 2015 5:36 am

No reason not to get a native OEM adapterfor the SLR Magic lenses. Why limit yourself? Sometimes you just need to use a DSLR.

rick.lang

PostMon Dec 07, 2015 5:50 am

Really need to have wides ready then too!

Rick Lang

Paul Kapp

PostMon Dec 07, 2015 9:24 am

Jason R. Johnston wrote:No reason not to get a native OEM adapterfor the SLR Magic lenses. Why limit yourself? Sometimes you just need to use a DSLR.

Some of the stills on the internet from this lens are spectacular. Hi res & contrast, nil CA, fast. Also perfect for DSLR.

Perry Mulder

PostMon Dec 07, 2015 9:54 am

rick.lang wrote:Really need to have wides ready then too!

Ok, so this month they will be shipping the first 50mm, and in september 2016 the 85mm, probably meaning the wider lens would be a 35 or 24/25 right? For me september 2016 will be too late to use them on my next project, but its an exciting price for a PL, I would wait for a 6piece set (probably 2017), so that will probably be the lensset to get with a nextgen PL cam.
Paul Kapp wrote:
Jason R. Johnston wrote:No reason not to get a native OEM adapterfor the SLR Magic lenses. Why limit yourself? Sometimes you just need to use a DSLR.

Some of the stills on the internet from this lens are spectacular. Hi res & contrast, nil CA, fast. Also perfect for DSLR.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn HTC One met Tapatalk
"http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.php?15224-My-first-82min-featurelength-film-(filmed-with-BMPC)"

rick.lang

PostMon Dec 07, 2015 7:26 pm

The discussions on BMCuser were inconclusive in terms of the wide focal lengths. There will be a 32/35mm. A 24/25mm. And completely up in the air about the widest lens(es) which could be anywhere from 14mm to 20mm. The issue for the widest lens is something may need to change regarding the other physical specifications of the APO family. The ideal was to have all lenses at T2.1 with a common diameter of 95mm I believe. Well at the widest end that short focal length has to be much slower or much larger.

Looking at the longest lens(es) previously discussed going beyond 85mm, they too may need a slower aperture and/or a longer length overall. Under consideration may be the conventional 135mm and last a macro lens of either 65mm or 100mm. The macro lens is a very important lens for many purposes besides shooting a bee on a flower. Important for narrative work including close ups and extreme close ups where you may not have any concern that infinity is not in focus but you may want to focus from very close to close in the same shot.

As for waiting until 2017 for a six prime lens set, if everyone waits, it will never happen. SLR Magic is a fairly small operation and they are not going to make all lenses planned for a set if the earlier lenses don't sell. Simple. Hard to fathom I know. Believe it.

Look at the example of the glacial release of Otus lenses and Zeiss is a giant compared to the SLR Magic dwarf. Wasn't the Otus 55mm released in 2014 and recently the Otus 85mm. And another Otus likely next year?

I'm thinking of buying each APO lens when it becomes available. I want the promotional $999 pricing on the 50mm APO Titanium PL. And hoping others who are in a better position than I am to do the same. Or grab all three lenses by Photokina 2016, not waiting for anymore. If you wait too long to commit, additional lenses may not be produced, due to the lack of interest.

You and I know the lack of interest would be due to the lack of a complete set for many people; if these lenses launched this month with three focal lengths, that's not bad, that's what happens with new families of lenses. Only one 50mm lens is not very enticing though for many. It might work in a studio and shooting outdoors, but may be cramped using practical locations like most living rooms or kitchens or bedrooms. I think I can make a single lens work but would be easier if that first lens was wider. I'm talking about adding one PL lens to an unavailable PL camera. No wonder I don't sleep anymore!

Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostMon Dec 07, 2015 9:31 pm

SLR Magic has posted the 50mm Titanium PL preorder pricing is limited to December 2015 or until supply of the first production lenses runs out. Next production run due to deliver in April 2016. What else is going on in April?

Rick Lang

Perry Mulder

PostTue Dec 08, 2015 12:07 pm

Hi Rick! Got a point there:-) I send them a mail. Its 200 dollar shipping and 999 for the 50mm. I think there will be some additional cost via customs. 21%, so I guess for me the preorder would be about 1400 dollar.

"http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.php?15224-My-first-82min-featurelength-film-(filmed-with-BMPC)"

Kjell Erik Egeland

PostTue Dec 08, 2015 2:02 pm

I wanted to pre order the 50mm apo lens and sent an email to support@slrmagic.com and didn´t get a response. Then I sent an email to support@slrmagic.co.uk and got this response:

"Hi Kjell, the latest information we have is that they will only release this
lens locally (Hong Kong) and not the rest of the World for the forseeable
future.

Regards,

Paul

UK Optics
SLR Magic Europe"

rick.lang

PostTue Dec 08, 2015 5:21 pm

I think, unfortunately, that the UK arm may not be aware of the preorders that are being handled by Hong Kong directly I assume. Their web site says shipping in early 2015 and price to be determined!

I say "assume" because I also have not received the details. If anyone would post the details online, I'd appreciate it too.

I'm hoping I can pay with my USD credit card as the Canadian dollar is in free fall now with a rumoured reduction to the OPEC oil quota falling apart at last Friday's OPEC meeting and the world awash in cheap oil. Bad for exporting countries like Canada.

Rick Lang

Kjell Erik Egeland

PostTue Dec 08, 2015 10:00 pm

Well I hope I can get a preorder. After almost a week I still haven´t got a response from support@slrmagic.com. Maby they are busy with more important stuff than answering my request for a preorder.

How long did it take for you guys to get confirmation of your preorders?

Benton Collins

PostWed Dec 09, 2015 12:38 am

This news is encouraging. I have the SLR Magic 10mm for micro 4/3rds which performs well, but had to go through two different copies and had to have the best one of the two sent back to get an adjustment made so it would focus to infinity. I like the character of SLR Magic lenses, but find consistency from copy to copy a bit less than desired. But in their defense, Andrew at SLR Magic is very accommodating if you find your copy is less than it should be.

rick.lang

PostWed Dec 09, 2015 3:16 am

And I expect the SLR Magic APO PL lenses will be carefully matched.

Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostWed Dec 09, 2015 3:35 am

I've been told by another person buying the APO 50mm Titanium PL prime that SLR Magic only accepts PayPal. I don't do PayPal so I'm going to miss the $999 promotion and likely will need to wait for April 2016.

Rick Lang

Jason R. Johnston

PostWed Dec 09, 2015 8:24 am

After waiting for Ursa Mini, Rick, waiting for April won't be a big deal.

rick.lang

PostWed Dec 09, 2015 9:33 pm

I read a lot today thinking I'm a bit crazy to resist PayPal with it apparently being used by 99% of online shoppers. Conclusion: 1) Resistance is never futile, 2) I'm a bit crazy.

Rick Lang

Jason R. Johnston

PostWed Dec 09, 2015 11:15 pm

PayPal is safe and secure. I've been using it at least as long as I've been using eBay...so maybe 2001-ish...and I haven't had any problems.

Perry Mulder

PostThu Dec 10, 2015 9:29 am

I will wait till the ursa mini 4.6 actualy ships, then I'll see whats out there to pick from:-) maybe Xeen will be a little cheaper by then to match the price of the SLR Magic a bit more. Looking forward to the testresults of the 50mm APO.

Kjell Erik Egeland

PostThu Dec 10, 2015 7:42 pm

I got a response today. Seems like they have a lot to do. The first batch is already sold out, som I´m on the waiting list for the next one that is expected to ship in April. Looking forward to 2016 already!

Jason R. Johnston

PostThu Dec 10, 2015 8:38 pm

Indeed. 2016 will be a good year.

Tristan Pemberton

PostFri Dec 11, 2015 4:40 am

I got offered a lens in the first round (emailed them 5 weeks ago) but passed. I'm going to wait until there's a more complete set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

Jim Mitchell

PostFri Dec 11, 2015 10:46 am

Dear Rick:

I tried to order the 50mm APO T2.1 Titanium PL mount in November. Heard back from Simon that he did not know when the lens would be released. Now I read that the lens is available for pre-order? Really - you think? I wrote to Simon again saying I wanted to pre-order and pay for the lens. We shall see.

rick.lang

PostFri Dec 11, 2015 6:56 pm

The preorder list offer for this 50mm APO lens was only opened last Sunday and by Thursday it is Sold Out! With virtually no advertising and just word of mouth or a few posts on forums!

The first batch was likely a fairly small batch to test the waters. Seems like SLR Magic has discovered the water is really a hot spring and many people are just jumping in without so much as putting a toe in the water. I thought selling a single 50mm cinema prime lens was a gamble, primarily since most people shooting cinema are likely going to want a minimum three lens set of lenses to start. What do I know, eh? No wonder some of us didn't get replies to emails, the phone must have been ringing off the hook as they say.

Happy for SLR Magic. And for us as this enthusiastic reception, from people who have not seen a single video shot with the new lens, bodes well for the future and might even accelerate the delivery of a three or four lens set this year since it would appear SLR Magic has discovered a gold mine.

Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostFri Dec 11, 2015 7:07 pm

From SLR Magic:

"Dear All,

Thanks for the support for the 50mm T2.1 APO-HyperPrime PL lens. The popularity of the lens was beyond our expectation and our lens stock is sold out already. We will have more stock around April 2016. The promotional period ends Dec 31st and for customers who pre-order by then we will still acknowledge the upgrade offer. We should have an official announcement with more information on our next APO-HyperPrime lens in 85mm around then.

There is an important notice/reminder for all APO lens users. The SLR Magic APO-HyperPrime 50mm T2.1 lens recesses when it is at infinity and protrudes when it is at close distance.

From the few months of testing by ourselves, our testers, and from partners at Cinema Expos, no one notice that the lens must be turned back to infinity position (so that the front glass element recesses into the lens by a few mm) before putting the plastic lens cap on. Somehow, it was second nature for all of us to make sure the lens position would fit the lens cap on and was overlooked. We did not make a large rubber plastic cap as we feel that those caps are easy to get lost.

So, please remember to turn your lens back to infinity overtime you put the 62mm cap back on. The 62mm thread is for lens cap, the SLR Magic Anamorphot adapter, or the SLR Magic 62mm Vari ND. The 90mm thread is not suppose to have functional purpose. The rear is 95mm for Matt Box fitting.

Thank you for your kind attention.

Best rgds.,
Andrew"

Rick Lang

Jason R. Johnston

PostFri Dec 11, 2015 11:56 pm

Nice guy, that Andrew.

rick.lang

PostSun Dec 13, 2015 5:14 pm

Finally! The first actual footage of the limited volume first production run of the new SLR Magic 50mm APO prime. Originally posted by the creator, Kosmokrator, on the BMCuser forum. Any comments?

"Here is some sample footage with the new 50 mm APO cine lens by slr magic.

The camera used was a BMPC4K with EF mount. I used a IR/UV Cut and a Fader ND (both Heliopan).
The PL to EF mount adapter is the all duraluminium one by ciecio7. No problems there but i recommend using some kind of lens support.

Some observations i made:
- you can focus past infinity (hard stop there) what i did with some of the clips to see if there are any problems with the PL adapter.
- at T2.1 the lens (like most lenses wide open) has a tint of a milky look. Stoping down it goes away really fast with T2.8 absolutely usable.
- the imperial markings are accurate and i did not have to shim the PL adapter.
- the lens is damn sharp.
- the bokeh really is beautiful.
- wide open there is only a tiny hint of a vignette."

Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostMon Dec 14, 2015 6:29 pm

By the way for the video posted in the previous message, only the first two clips and the last were very lightly graded. All other clips ungraded. ProRes HQ film (log).

Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostWed Dec 30, 2015 11:16 pm

rick.lang wrote:I read a lot today thinking I'm a bit crazy to resist PayPal with it apparently being used by 99% of online shoppers. Conclusion: 1) Resistance is never futile, 2) I'm a bit crazy.

All right, I'm on PayPay with my US dollar account credit card and have sent the email to SLR Magic in Hong Kong requesting an invoice for the 50mm APO in titanium. Just waiting for them to wake up and see my email! It's just after 7 am in Hong Kong on December 31st so I should be able to just make their promotional pricing since their deadline is the 31st.

Bit of a tough decision buying the lens without a PL mount camera! Hopefully I'll have both in the spring to f 2016.

I also called PayPal and talked to them on the phone about various questions I had. They were very helpful.

Hope this is the first of several excellent prime lenses from SLR Magic to be delivered in 2016 otherwise, I'll be shooting with one lens for a while.

Big day for me as I'm finally committed to BMD in a roundabout way. No turning back now. Only taken me 3 ½ years and counting. I know it will be a full fours years waiting. Patience? Insanity? Either way, I'm in great company and enjoying the ride with you.

Special thanks:
to John Brawley for all his advice and immense patience and for his lovely test of the prototype 50mm APO on YouTube in January 2015; and
to Kosmokrator for being the first (and only?) person to upload to Vimeo his quick test of the first production run of the 50mm APO.

Rick Lang
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography