SLR Magic APO and Anamorphic Cinema Lenses

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Jason R. Johnston

Re: SLR Magic APO and Anamorphic Cinema Lenses

PostThu Dec 31, 2015 2:27 am

rick.lang wrote:All right, I'm on PayPay with my US dollar account credit card and have sent the email to SLR Magic in Hong Kong requesting an invoice for the 50mm APO in titanium. Just waiting for them to wake up and see my email! It's just after 7 am in Hong Kong on December 31st so I should be able to just make their promotional pricing since their deadline is the 31st.

What? How? I thought that promotion was sold out.

...nevermind: I figured it out. Promotion still good but first batch is sold out. Next batch: ~April.
JASONRJOHNSTON.COM | CINEMATOGRAPHER | DIRECTOR | EDITOR | COLORIST
RED Komodo | DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5 | 2023 MacBook M2 Pro 14

rick.lang

PostThu Dec 31, 2015 5:07 am

If anyone is confused, by December 31, you need to get an email to support@slrmagic.com committing to purchase the $999 50mm APO lens. They will send you the information to make your PayPal purchase, $100 now and $899 plus shipping fees when it ships on April. That price gets you the titanium PL mount and makes you an early adopter that will receive special pricing on future APO lenses. There's not much time to act.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Jason R. Johnston

PostThu Dec 31, 2015 5:22 am

Thanks for the info, Rick. I sent Andrew an email earlier today. I'm down to commit, just need their response.

Paul Kapp

PostThu Dec 31, 2015 7:29 am

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Last edited by Paul Kapp on Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

rick.lang

PostThu Dec 31, 2015 1:45 pm

Paid via PayPal! On the slippery slope to financial ruin now, just like the rest of you, except worse. Oh well, it's done!

Paul, appreciate the lens ****. Now I need to see some 4.6K camera ****! Or 4K... Or Micro Cinema HD!

Rick Lang

James_Westlake

PostThu Dec 31, 2015 3:24 pm

For those that want information on their PL to EF adapter, this is what they said to me:

"We will soon offer PL to EF, F, E-mount, and mFT mount adapters as we are unable to test a good one on the market to use with our lenses to maintain good optical quality. We have tested adapters ranging from US$250 to US$1,100. When our adapter is avaliable the price will be US$699 retail price including lens support. We can only ensure good image quality when PL camera or our PL adapters are used. At launch, we will offer the adapter to you at US$400 + postage cost."
www.jameswestlake.co.uk
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm6235043/

Denny Smith

PostThu Dec 31, 2015 7:20 pm

I use the Wooden Camera PL adapter on my Pocket camera, works great, no issues on either my Zeiss Super Speed, or Angie zoom. I do not know how a mechanical adapter could mess up the optics of the lens, unless it is not correctly shimmed for the FFD, then Focus/witness marks would just be off. I wounded if Andrew is referring to a Speed Booster optical type adapter, rather than just a mechanical adapter, which would (SB) effect optical quality of the lens?
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostThu Dec 31, 2015 7:32 pm

Thanks, James. I think the adapters are due to be offered in February 2016 so could be in five to eight weeks. I'll pick it up for $400 just as a form of insurance that the adapter is completely compatible. Assuming the PL->EF works on my Canon EF-S camera.

Rick Lang

James_Westlake

PostThu Dec 31, 2015 9:26 pm

To me, $400 seems to be a little expensive considering the lens is only just over twice that price, but to have something that certainly won't throw off focus markings and there's no risk of not working it's probably a worthwhile spend. Now to decide if I get the PL or EF 4.6k...
www.jameswestlake.co.uk
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm6235043/

PetePolyakov

PostThu Dec 31, 2015 10:35 pm

SLR really interesting when it comes to anamorphic lenses. They have no competitors if they'll develop them and sell for price that were announced.
APO is okay but in the same price range you can get full set Sony CineAlta 2, which is by default should be better.

Jason R. Johnston

PostThu Dec 31, 2015 11:27 pm

...which you must buy as a set. $12,000 up front. No thanks.

PetePolyakov

PostFri Jan 01, 2016 3:48 am

idk, lenses it's a long term investment.
slr looks pretty solid but this is not the most important in the lenses. would be good to see side by side tests with zeiss distagons.

rick.lang

PostFri Jan 01, 2016 4:01 am

Pete, I'm sure that comparison will be done when there are several APO lenses but initially there is only a 50mm with an announced 85mm to follow with a wide lens expected about Photokina 2016. Then more lenses possibly late 2016 and certainly throughout 2017, as the family gains some traction. I'm confidant demand will grow if they manage to keep their siblings under $1,000 US for the aluminum PL mount.

Rick Lang

Jason R. Johnston

PostFri Jan 01, 2016 10:02 pm

Rick, how are you planning on storing and/or transporting your lenses?

I'd love a Pelican with laser-cut foam insert, but I'm thinking that won't be realistic until all of the lenses are available and accurate measurements can be made. Meanwhile, there are hard case solutions for lenses with adjustable soft inserts and even pouches, such as from PortaBrace, that will probably work, too. I'd like to keep the lenses separate from the other gear.

rick.lang

PostFri Jan 01, 2016 11:40 pm

I was actually thinking about this today. The size of the lenses should be identical for the first four lenses which are likely 50mm, 85mm, 24-25mm, 32-35mm. After that size may increase for a 135mm, a 60-65mm macro that John Brawley would like or possibly a 100mm macro, and the widest lens that at this time could be 16mm or 18mm or 20mm. So by the end of 2017, six or seven lenses. That sounds like a custom cut Pelican style case. But when there are only two or three lenses, protective soft pouches in a soft case might do.

Realistically, although people talk about lenses getting beat up over time, I would hope to treat my glass like, well, fragile glass and keep it pristine. The traditional six lens foam cutouts and slots for filters may not work though with a seven lens set. I'm concerned about how to carry that macro lens, but I've no assurance that one will even be built. I'll try and get an answer on the future lenses at Photokina 2016 and proceed accordingly.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. We have some lovely custom cut foam examples in a thread on this forum.

Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostThu Jan 14, 2016 6:44 pm

Little more food for thought about those who fear any softness in modern lenses:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/news ... -boom.html

I think the takeaway for me is that a beautiful character with some creaminess is ideal for video. Cooke's have it, but beyond my reach. Hoping the APO will have it too and within my grasp.

Wish the use of photography lenses that are continuing to increase their sharpness wasn't quite so prevalent in narrative cinema. The makeup artists who work under these conditions are worth their weight in gold if they can make you look good while the audience is immediately aware of any 'flaws' of which 99.99% of us have in abundance.

Rick Lang

Jason R. Johnston

PostThu Jan 14, 2016 7:36 pm

I like softness. I deliberately soften my images with diffused lighting, filtration, whatever I can do to make the image pleasing and forgiving for skintones. I find it a more filmic look, as well. I like that digital gives me a sharp start, so i can choose how soft I want the image. And i dont mean out of focus. Even if the image only needs to be a little soft...a 1/8 pro mist, for example. Just to take the edge off. Or full black fogal net with 3-strip technicolor luts for that old school feel. The only time i think sharp is appropriate is TV "news" footage or cheap horror.

rick.lang

PostThu Jan 28, 2016 4:12 am

Presumably the deadline for ordering the 50mm T2.1 APO PL prime has been extended to January 31, 2016. If this deadline is for something else, I'll update this thread.
https://twitter.com/anamorphot/status/6 ... 1654251520

Edit:
Ha! Just noticed the link was for the three ANAMORPHOT CINE primes with case, not the APO spherical primes.
https://twitter.com/anamorphot/status/6 ... 9177799681

Rick Lang

Jason R. Johnston

PostThu Jan 28, 2016 4:36 am

I wonder if they'll offer a similar case for the APO Hyperprime Cine lenses once it's a complete set.

rick.lang

PostThu Jan 28, 2016 5:15 am

Could be interesting if there are eventually seven primes including a macro. Maybe eight pockets to include filters.

16/18/20mm, 24/25mm, 32/35mm, 50mm, 85mm, 135mm, 60/65/100mm macro + Vari-ND/IRCut.

Rick Lang

Jason R. Johnston

PostThu Jan 28, 2016 3:40 pm

Too bad we don't know the number of lenses or their dimensions or I could just have one made now and fill it up as I go. 'Padded pocket holder things until the set is done' it is!

rick.lang

PostThu Jan 28, 2016 4:59 pm

The length of the macro and 135mm will likely exceed the length of the 24/25, 32/35, 50, and 85mm. The width of the widest lens 16/18/20mm will likely exceed the width of the other lenses depending on whether or not the T stop remains T2.1 or if the aperture is smaller such as T2.8. I don't believe all lenses will be housed with physically identical dimensions.

Rick Lang

Jason R. Johnston

PostThu Jan 28, 2016 6:29 pm

Right. But we certainly won't know for sure until much later. Might be a few years before the set is completed. But, it'll be worth it.

rick.lang

PostSat Jan 30, 2016 1:59 pm

Received an email from SLR Magic informing me the next production run of the 50mm APO PL is ready to ship for preorders if I want the lens now rather than in April. The EF and MFT adapters were due in February, but i asked if they were ready now as well. if the adapters are not ready, I need to wait as I don’t have a way of testing the lens.
Rick Lang

Jason R. Johnston

PostSat Jan 30, 2016 6:44 pm

rick.lang wrote:Received an email from SLR Magic informing me the next production run of the 50mm APO PL is ready to ship for preorders if I want the lens now rather than in April. The EF and MFT adapters were due in February, but i asked if they were ready now as well. if the adapters are not ready, I need to wait as I don’t have a way of testing the lens.

I didn't get one of those emails; nobody likes me. You might as well do it since it'll take a billion days to ship from China. Peace of mind having the lens in your possession.

rick.lang

PostMon Feb 08, 2016 10:59 pm

And here is the official press release for the SLR Magic ANAMORPHOT Ciné primes:

"On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 3:42 AM, SLR Magic <support@slrmagic.com> wrote:

PRESS RELEASE

NEW: THE SLR Magic Anamorphot-CINE 1.33x PL lens set
Hong Kong, China (Feb 9th, 2016) – SLR Magic is proud to announce the SLR Magic ANAMORPHOT-CINE 1.33x PL lens set for filmmakers which could be adapted to EF/F/mFT/E-mount via adapter.

As a commitment to the film industry, SLR Magic developed the SLR Magic ANAMORPHOT-CINE lenses to deliver the classic contrast, distortion, chromatic, color aberration, and flare characteristics of vintage anamorphic lenses, but with the convenience of a matched lens set without the hassle of aligning and matching lenses to the already popular SLR Magic Rangefinder with Anamorphot adapter combination.

To achieve the much loved scope aspect ratio, which gives a very pleasant, epic effect, filmmakers must crop off the top and bottom of standard 16:9 footage when using spherical lenses with modern digital cameras. As a result, 25% or more sensor/negative information is discarded.

This 1.33x anamorphic lens help filmmakers to maximize their image quality by preventing this loss of vertical resolution. The unique 1.33x squeeze factor uses the entire 16:9 sensor/negative area to achieve the desired 2.35:1 aspect ratio. The SLR Magic ANAMORPHOT-CINE 1.33x does this by compressing a 33% wider field of view to fit the width of the 16:9 sensor/negative without compressing image height.

The SLR Magic ANAMORPHOT-CINE 1.33x create a unique “artifact” such as horizontal lens flare, commonly referred to as anamorphic streaks, and may create slightly elongated bokeh. Over the history of cinema, these same stylish effects have contributed to the cinematic “look” of epic motion picture photography. Characteristics that shape this anamorphic “look” come from “front-mounted” anamorphic designs such as the SLR Magic Anamorphot while “rear-mounted” anamorphic designs have more suppressed anamorphic characteristics.

Lenses would be on demo at the BVE Expo in London, UK from February 23-25 in the Atomos booth K30.

Technical Data:

SLR Magic ANAMORPHOT-CINE 35mm T2.4
SLR Magic ANAMORPHOT-CINE 50mm T2.8
SLR Magic ANAMORPHOT-CINE 70mm T4
Lens Type: Anamorphic lens
Squeeze factor: 1.33x
Objective front filter thread: Φ82
Mount: Titanium PL compatible with optional SLR Magic EF/F/mFT/E-mount
Titanium adapter.
Lens Coating: Multi Coated
Close Focus: 3’6
Weight (oz./g): 38.8/1,100
Length (cm): 13.5
Diameter (cm): 10
Image Circle: S35 for 35mm T2.4, FF for 50mm T2.8 and 70mm T4

Andrew Chan
Product Manager"

Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostMon Feb 22, 2016 1:19 pm

Here are the newly released PL mount 1.33x ANAMORPHOT Ciné lenses used on a GH4 MFT and an A7s E mount both recording the squeeze on a 16:9 frame giving a desqueezed widescreen presentation:

If you are curious about using the 1.33x ANAMORPHOT Ciné lenses on a GH4 MFT shooting on their 4:3 mode, here's a sample of the desqueezed 16:9 HD presentation:

http://www.43rumors.com/new-slr-anamorp ... n-the-gh4/

Rick Lang

Adam Langdon

PostMon Feb 22, 2016 1:32 pm

some of the distortion on the wide angles looks a bit too much-- distracting, even.
but that can also be a stylistic choice.

overall, they look pretty darn good.
Ursa Mini 12k +Rawlite - Cinema Camera 6k - SLR Magic APO Microprimes PL/EF - Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 G2 - Aputure Lighting

rick.lang

PostMon Feb 22, 2016 1:38 pm

I think the 35mm lens has the most pronounced distortions on vertical edges like the corners of walls and door jambs. Personally a bit strong and not my cup of tea for that particular lens. But overall I agree, they do seem to produce a decent image.

Rick Lang

John Palaganas

PostMon Feb 22, 2016 9:20 pm

I hope demo videos would roll out once SLR Magic hits BVE tomorrow!

rick.lang

PostMon Mar 14, 2016 2:36 am

Never hurts to see what the high end competition is up to. Here's Cooke's newest 2x Anamorphic/i SF line designed to show more character and flare than the current Anamorphic/I primes. These are 40mm and 75mm compared to the 35mm, 50mm, 70mm fromSLR Magic:

http://www.newsshooter.com/2016/03/13/c ... funkiness/

Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostTue Mar 15, 2016 9:24 pm

The SLR Magic ANAMORPHOT Ciné primes are now available on B&H Photo, 1.33x and 2x, in three lens sets or individually priced. The 1.33x are quite a different lens than the prototypes seen originally. Shorter and lighter but with that 2x mask added to simulate flares of the true 2x ANAMORPHOT Ciné primes. And the 1.33x primes have the titanium PL mounts. The 2x lenses look like the original design although I'm sure there are some differences.

The 1.33x for Super 35 and Weapon Dragon 8K:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1233203-REG

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1233200-REG

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1233201-REG

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1233202-REG

The 2x for MFT:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1233206-REG

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1233207-REG

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1233204-REG

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1233205-REG

Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostThu Apr 14, 2016 8:54 pm

Vic Harris has just posted on BMCuser that SLR Magic has added the APO 25mm Cine and APO 85mm Cine primes to make a three lens set available in Q3 2016. I believe that will coincide with IBC 2016 in September.

Rick Lang

Paul Kapp

PostThu Apr 14, 2016 9:15 pm

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Last edited by Paul Kapp on Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jason R. Johnston

PostThu Apr 14, 2016 9:22 pm

What a lovely set of lenses! I'm ready to start mine with that 50 mil, Andrew! :D

Tristan Pemberton

PostThu Apr 14, 2016 9:58 pm

Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

rick.lang

PostFri Apr 15, 2016 3:12 am

I wonder if we can preorder a set including the case? I imagine Andrew will mention something at NAB 2016. I'm good for a set. And waiting for three more when they're ready. I hope someone with a comparable set of CP.2 primes or similar class of glass will be able to find the time to do a comparison test to the APO lenses.

Rick Lang

Jason R. Johnston

PostFri Apr 15, 2016 1:41 pm

rick.lang wrote:I wonder if we can preorder a set including the case? I imagine Andrew will mention something at NAB 2016. I'm good for a set. And waiting for three more when they're ready. I hope someone with a comparable set of CP.2 primes or similar class of glass will be able to find the time to do a comparison test to the APO lenses.

Or rent them and do a test.

rick.lang

PostFri Apr 15, 2016 4:58 pm

I am now communicating with SLR Magic asking about preorders for the new lenses.

Rick Lang

Jason R. Johnston

PostMon Apr 18, 2016 2:58 pm

I received an email this morning from Jane at SLR Magic:

We wish to inform you that your lens will be ready by end of April/beginning of May. The PL to EF mount adapter is probably ready a bit later in May.

It then listed the April 15 press release announcing the 85mm and 25mm lenses.

As you are one of our pre-order customers for the 50mm APO lens, there will be a special offer for you on these 2 APO lenses as well. The details will be available in May after the NAB show.

Someone say hi to Andrew for me if you run into him on the NAB Show floor.

VicHarris

PostTue Apr 19, 2016 8:09 am

Here's my footage though Kofas is much better. The tripod that was provided was way too small and we were also trying out MovCams new remote FF so the footage and technique could have been much better. Just had too much camera right then. A few different looks in there. Wanted to mix it up. All wide open except two shots which were t2.4 or so.
25, 50 and 85 t2.1 APO Glass.

rick.lang

PostTue Apr 19, 2016 11:23 am

Thanks, Vic. Looking good.

Rick Lang

Armani Smith

PostTue Apr 19, 2016 10:40 pm

Hello everyone!

First time posting, big fan of all the awesome information provided on the site. Love the look of anamorphic, but for the most part it's always out of reach for us indie filmmakers. SLR Magic Anamorphics look great and affordable, just wondering do you guys think they would be a good fit for my 2.5K EF BMCC or my new BlackMagic Micro Cinema Camera. Total newb question but trying to achieve that true 2.35:1 aspect ratio, for short film and music video work. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

rick.lang

PostWed Apr 20, 2016 3:56 am

Read this thread and you should see the SLR Magic 2x ANAMORPHOT CINE prime lenses are designed for MFT and smaller sensors like the BMCC MFT.

Rick Lang

VicHarris

PostThu Apr 21, 2016 9:45 pm

Here's a video update about future focal lengths.

rick.lang

PostFri Apr 22, 2016 1:36 am

So nice if they can do 18, 25, 32, 50, 85, 135mm and keep the new lenses at T2.1. If the 135mm can't manage it a slower T-stop may be fine since it would tend to be used for exteriors more than interior shots. Even if the 18mm needs to increase the physical dimensions to maintain T2.1, it could become a popular choice.

Rick Lang

Jason R. Johnston

PostFri Apr 22, 2016 1:22 pm

Right. I don't mind the not-often-used lenses on the very short and very long sides being of different physical characteristics, thus potentially having to reset follow focus gears and mattebox, if the performance characteristics match that of the normal or more widely-used lenses.

Jason R. Johnston

PostTue May 10, 2016 12:45 pm

This arrived from Jane at SLR Magic 4 hours ago:

The SLR Magic APO HyperPrime CINE 50mm T2.1 lens in PL mount, and the SLR Magic PL to EF mount adapter are ready.

There it is.

The attached video shows the PL to EF adapter in use.

rick.lang

PostTue May 10, 2016 4:12 pm

Me too. Very exciting since this lens was actually announced in September 2014! John Brawley's blog gave us the first controlled test of the prototype and this production lens has been both an optical and mechanical improvement. Worth the wait.

Rick Lang

Jason R. Johnston

PostTue May 10, 2016 4:26 pm

rick.lang wrote:Me too. Very exciting since this lens was actually announced in September 2014! John Brawley's blog gave us the first controlled test of the prototype and this production lens has been both an optical and mechanical improvement. Worth the wait.

The lens isn't even in my hands yet but it's totes worth the wait.

And then......the others. 2016 = good year.
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography