Decklink Mini Monitor black screen after a while

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Heiko Thies

Decklink Mini Monitor black screen after a while

PostTue Feb 02, 2016 10:45 am

Hey everyone. I'm having a bit of a problem with my decklink mini monitor card while working in Resolve 12. It works just fine, sometimes for hours and then all of the sudden I only get a black screen. Depending on what I'm doing in Resolve this can lead to crashing Resolve or even my Windows 10 PC completely. The only thing that helps when I get the black screen is stop everything in Resolve, save the project, exit out of Resolve and then do a complete Windows restart. Without the restart I don't get the decklink mini monitor to work again. This is really annoying as it takes quite a while to restart and then get everything up and running again (I'm also running an MC Color panel etc.).
Problem is it seems to be coming very randomly so it's hard to reproduce. Sometimes I can work for hours in Resolve without any problems. Other days I had the mini monitor die on me every 20-30 minutes with one time freezing the whole PC so I had to pull the plug.
My best guess right now is that my machine's power supply unit is too weak for all this stuff to run. I'm running with a 460W unit and a Gefore GTX970 4GB. Since the decklink mini monitor and the GPU both run on the same pci-e structure I would assume this could be a power problem. But this is only my assumption. I tried to get rid of most of the passive USB devices which drained power from the PSU too by putting them on an active USB hub with it's own power supply. But the problem still exist.

My other guess would be that the driver for the mini monitor crashes at some point. Question would be what causes the crash and could the mini monitor device / driver be restarted without restarting the whole PC / Windows?

Does anyone know about this issue or can confirm this is a power problem?

Heiko Thies

Re: Decklink Mini Monitor black screen after a while

PostSat Feb 13, 2016 10:00 am

Seems I'm rather alone with this problem... To give an update, I've recently replaced my 460W PSU with a brand new corsair 750W to make sure I'm not having any power related issues. Unfortunately, this did not solve my black screen problem with the decklink card. I did another grading session and after roughly half an hour the decklink card switched off again. After a restart I had another 20 minutes or so before it happened again. Very frustrating :(

Ryan Fleet

PostSun Jul 26, 2020 10:56 am

Heiko,

I'm running into this same issue 4 years later. Did you ever figure out a solve for this issue?

I'm running Windows 10 with Resolve and Premiere both getting blank screens randomly at times it crashes and then I have to restart. Could go for hours but could be within minutes.

CPU - Ryzen 7 2700x
GPU - RTX 2060 Super
RAM - Corsair Vegence RGB Pro 2x 16gb
OS Drive m.2 - Samsung 970 Evo 1tb

Up to date on all software - BMD Desktop Video , Adobe Premiere Pro, Davinci Resolve

Heiko Thies

PostSun Jul 26, 2020 11:04 am

Hey Ryan,
unfortunately I never found a workaround. I finally switched from the internal mini monitor card to the Intensity shuttle pro USB 3.0 and that worked for me.

Funny thing is, last year I bought a new PC and due to some other things I decided to give the decklink card another go in this new PC and I've been using it ever since without any problems.

So my best guess is that back then when I had the troubles with it, that here was some incompatiblity with the mainboard of the old PC.

Ryan Fleet

PostSat Aug 01, 2020 9:21 pm

Heiko Thies wrote:Hey Ryan,
unfortunately I never found a workaround. I finally switched from the internal mini monitor card to the Intensity shuttle pro USB 3.0 and that worked for me.

Funny thing is, last year I bought a new PC and due to some other things I decided to give the decklink card another go in this new PC and I've been using it ever since without any problems.

So my best guess is that back then when I had the troubles with it, that here was some incompatiblity with the mainboard of the old PC.

Interesting, I'll have to check out the Intensity shuttle pro USB 3.0. I'm using a FSI CM171 sdi out monitor.

It's probably my mother board then. I'm using the ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming AMD Ryzen 2 AM4 DDR4 DP HDMI M.2 ATX Motherboard

Do you remember what MOBO you were using in your old build? Also what is the current MOBO you're using.

Thank you for the help!

Heiko Thies

PostSun Aug 02, 2020 8:10 am

Hey Ryan,
unfortunately I can't remember what motherboard was in the old machine back then. It was some already assembled HP setup from a local electronics dealer here in Germany. So no special built with custom components or anything. My current machine has the ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. PRIME H310M-A R2.0 with this the decklink card works fine without any problems whatsoever.

Return to Post Production