Resolve 12 +/- two stops darker with CR2/DNG

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

paulgolden

Resolve 12 +/- two stops darker with CR2/DNG

PostThu Feb 25, 2016 11:04 pm

I'm working with several programs including Dragonframe, After Effects, Photoshop, Final Cut Pro X and DaVinci Resolve 12. Using a MacPro 10.11.3 & a Macbook Pro, same OS.

When shooting Canon CR2 files (in this case from a 6D or 7D), all programs but Resolve show the same properly exposed frame. Resolve, on the other hand, shows the frame as roughly 1.5 to 2.5 stops darker.

Converting the CR2s to DNG does not change things.

Using the Camera RAW tab in Resolve, and changing "Decode Using" to "Clip" and setting Color Space/Gamma to BMD Film and checking Highlight Recovery on. I will then have to boost the exposure by several stops to match what Adobe Camera Raw or Final Cut show natively without correction. Furthermore, when capturing in Dragonframe, the image matches Adobe and Final Cut but is way brighter than Resolve.

Here's the frame in ACR:
ACR Window.jpg
Adobe Camera Raw import
ACR Window.jpg (78.86 KiB) Viewed 3621 times

And here's the Resolve frame:
Resolve Window.jpg
Resolve Image in Color Window
Resolve Window.jpg (75.16 KiB) Viewed 3621 times

As you can see they're vastly different. This is a problem because when we're lighting on set, we need to be able to get our exposure pretty close to what we're going to have in Resolve. Something is going on with Resolve because Dragonframe, Canon, Adobe and Apple are all showing the same exposure settings (including the same histogram) and Resolve is really dark.

Anyone else getting this result?

Uli Plank

Re: Resolve 12 +/- two stops darker with CR2/DNG

PostFri Feb 26, 2016 8:46 am

How are you monitoring? Resolve is different in this respect: don't care for the display in the GUI, only a calibrated monitor connected by a video I/O card will show the correct picture.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Rick van den Berg

PostFri Feb 26, 2016 9:18 am

im not sure if it was this much of a difference (i dont think so), but maybe in the preferences-color management disable ''use mac display color profile''?

or try changing the colorspace and see if that helps

Paul Willis

PostFri Feb 26, 2016 9:18 am

Check that 'Use Mac Color Profile For Viewers' is switched off in Colour Management. It affects the appearance of the image in the GUI.
www.chief.tv
www.paulwilliscolour.com

AMD Threadripper 3970X 32-Core
RTX 3090 24GB
128GB RAM
Windows 11

Mihail Moskov

PostFri Feb 26, 2016 9:57 am

Do you have resolve color management enabled and do you apply any LUTs after the BMDFilm initial conversion?
www.shutterangle.com
The science & magic of shooting moving pictures

www.slimraw.com
A fast CinemaDNG compressor

paulgolden

PostFri Feb 26, 2016 10:01 pm

To answer, this affects my grading monitor too. I'm running a Flanders CM240 off my UltraStudio MiniMonitor.

I agree that under Color Management, unchecking "Use Mac Display Profile" does make the GUI image lighter, it does not affect my grading monitor.

Basically, all apps (FCPX, AE, Premiere, Photoshop) show a similar density when displaying on the external monitor. Resolve seems to be a stop or so down.

I'm going to do more extensive testing using a gray-scale graduated chart to see if this can be quantified further. One thing I've noticed is that if I capture both JPEG and RAW, the JPEGs display similarly across all software platforms. It is in RAW that Resolve marches to the beat of its own drum...

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostSat Feb 27, 2016 5:57 am

take highlight recovery off and try...
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

nikotaro

PostSun Feb 28, 2016 10:57 am

I had a same problem , when i imported recently graded film, DPX 10bit, ProRes HQ,
they were both 2 stops darker in Davinci 12.2 then in AE, Premier Pro, and FCP7. but all other current projects, i have tested, exported and they are ok :(

Tero Ahlfors

PostSun Feb 28, 2016 12:32 pm

AE, Premiere and Photoshop use Adobe Camera RAW. Resolve doesn't. If you opened up the image in Bibble or Capture One or whatever it might look different because they all have their own settings on how they deal with RAW images from different cameras.

paulgolden

PostMon Feb 29, 2016 4:20 pm

Turning on and off Highlight recovery does not seem to matter with no adjustments made. Saying that Resolve treats footage differently does not really explain why.

For me, it's a workflow issue because you're shooting & monitoring with one app (in this case Dragonframe) which accurately translates to every other image app except Resolve. You want to know that how you're lighting is faithful to your intentions.

If Resolve is treating simultaneously captured JPEG & RAW sequences differently, then this is a problem. We know that JPEGs and RAW files have different dynamic range, but their baseline exposure should be more or less identical without adjustment.

Something else is going on...

Tero Ahlfors

Return to DaVinci Resolve