Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Chance of multilayer EXR support?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Travis Schmiesing

Chance of multilayer EXR support?

PostWed Apr 06, 2016 12:10 am

Awesome that v8 is out. Looking forward to migrating to it. Now that the bulk of the work is done is there a chance that we might see better multilayer EXR support in the near future?

Travis Schmiesing

Re: Chance of multilayer EXR support?

PostTue Apr 26, 2016 7:46 pm

I am not a programmer so I don't know how in depth a feature like this might be but a potential easy solution would be adding an input to the existing Loader that effected the filename slot of the loader. This would allow you to create 1 loader with a layered EXR, and simply attach it to the input of other loaders.

...It would also be nice to have an option to lock the RGB / XYZ so that if you changed the Red input it would also change the Green and Blue input.
Attachments
Lock.jpg
Lock.jpg (101.43 KiB) Viewed 1161 times
InputOnLoader.jpg
InputOnLoader.jpg (243.74 KiB) Viewed 1161 times

Morné Erasmus

PostWed Apr 27, 2016 10:28 pm

I agree with Travis. It's a mission to change the R G and B separately each time and I would love to use Multichannel EXRs, but the way this currently works in Fusion is not ideal.

Hoping to move away from split channel EXRs

Chad Capeland

PostThu Apr 28, 2016 1:28 am

You can manage that with a script pretty easily, though.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Travis Schmiesing

PostThu Apr 28, 2016 3:45 am

Chad Capeland wrote:You can manage that with a script pretty easily, though.

Every studio big and small will have workflow issues that are specific to them and custom scripts will be needed to help solve the problems, but I don't feel that the problem of Fusion not being able to handle multilayer EXR's out of the box is so uncommon that it should be put upon the users shoulders to solve it. I have seen the question of multilayer EXRs posted to this message board and posted to others boards. Often those threads are from someone coming from Nuke and are expecting Fusion to be able to handle the EXR format in a similar way, only to find out that it is not easy to do in Fusion and they need to take it upon themselves to solve the problem. I have found a few scripts that provide a workaround for handling multilayer EXR's but it isn't the same as a turnkey solution.

I guess I don't understand why this wouldn't be considered for implementation if a script can be easily written to solve the problem? If Blackmagic wants to pull compositing customers in then taking a serious look at how to make compositing workflows more efficient seems relevant. Maybe I am wrong and the need for multilayer EXR's in compositing is something that is esoteric and not needed by the broader audience. The only thing I know for sure is I have spent a lot of time trying to find the best solution for something that I feel should be a standard in compositing software.

Return to Fusion