Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Mask Question

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

dQniel Kaufman

Mask Question

PostMon May 09, 2016 10:39 pm

I've been trying to figure out how to make the equivalent of a track matte or preserve transparency from AE.

Footage background, image or solid color foreground; then use PSD or PNG silhouettes to cut holes in the foreground image.

Is that possible, or do I have to redraw the silhouette with a pen tool? Or do I need to export my mask silhouette in a different format/setting?

Thanks!

Paul Ingvarsson

Re: Mask Question

PostTue May 10, 2016 6:11 pm

Hi,

You should be able to place the foreground above the background with a merge node - then pipe the png image you want to use as the cutout into the effect mask of the merge node via a bitmap mask node with the bitmap mask set to read the luminance channel.

Paul
Paul Ingvarsson
StormHD
Strongbox DX-G (Dual e5-2690 v3 64GB)
RTX3090 | Decklink 4K Pro
Eizo CG3145
Resolve 17.3.1
Windows 10 Pro 19042.1202

dQniel Kaufman

PostWed May 11, 2016 5:54 pm

Thanks, man! I'll give this a shot this weekend when I have a chance to work on it again.

dQ

Sander de Regt

PostThu May 12, 2016 8:55 am

What Paul is saying is a good way to work, but it can also have downsides to do this in the merge, because this way you will get two seperate center controls: one for the bitmap (the matte) and one for you foreground image. If you move one, you'll have to move the other to keep the two images aligned.

Another way to do this is to combine the matte and the footage before you merge the foreground image. That way the two images (matte and footage) will be locked together.
This can be done with f.e. a matte control or a channel boolean.

At least if I understand correctly what you're trying to do.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Return to Fusion