Keyboard mapping is project specific?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Nick Lear

Keyboard mapping is project specific?

PostSun May 08, 2016 6:24 am

Context: I'm an editor and I'm loving Resolve 12.5! Had tried and given up on v10. Then v12 was much better and v12.5 has brought some great features for editors, even things I haven't seen in other apps.

I spent some time mapping my own new keyboard. Then I started a new project and the keys didn't work, and I checked in the project settings and the keyboard had defaulted to "Davinci Resolve".

Would it not make more sense to have keyboard in the preferences? I would have thought most people will want to edit their keyboard and then leave it mostly alone and expect it to work the same across all projects. Same with Autosave.

Workarounds? I'm guessing if I edited the keyboard called "Davinci Resolve" this could work. I had kept this one unedited as a reference.

Thanks for the fantastic work.
Last edited by Nick Lear on Wed May 11, 2016 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Win Pro 10, Threadripper 3960x, 128GB RAM, RTX 4080 16GB VRAM, Resolve Studio 18.5 b41

Marc Wielage

Re: Keyboard mapping is project specific?

PostTue May 10, 2016 7:22 am

What I do is I create an empty project template that has every possible preset I could use, including Auto-Save timings, Keyboard shortcuts, clip settings, color science, reference clips, PowerGrades, the whole thing.

When I begin a new project, I just open one of the saved templates, do a Save-As with the new project name, and go to work. No muss, no fuss, no surprises.

You can also save most (but not all) of this stuff with Project Settings -> Presets, which are covered in the manual. Keyboard Mapping would definitely be saved there.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

John Paines

PostTue May 10, 2016 12:13 pm

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, there's a simple solution: configure any particular keyboard to taste, then name and save it. Then, for a new project, select it from the pull-down menu, if it isn't already a default in the project settings.

You can also export that keyboard preset file for use on another system.

Yasser Saeed

PostTue May 10, 2016 1:23 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:What I do is I create an empty project template that has every possible preset I could use, including Auto-Save timings, Keyboard shortcuts, clip settings, color science, reference clips, PowerGrades, the whole thing.

When I begin a new project, I just open one of the saved templates, do a Save-As with the new project name, and go to work. No muss, no fuss, no surprises.

You can also save most (but not all) of this stuff with Project Settings -> Presets, which are covered in the manual. Keyboard Mapping would definitely be saved there.

Mark .. this is a great idea. I don't know how it never even came to my mind :shock:

Many thanks for sharing this :)
HP Z2 Mini Workstation
Display: HP Z27 QHD DreamColor
CPU: i9-10900K @3.70GHz 10 Core
GPU: Radeon Pro WX3200
eGPU: Core X RTX 3090
RAM: 64GB
NVMe SSD: OS 2TB, Data 4TB
NLE: DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6

Nick Lear

PostWed May 11, 2016 1:46 pm

Marc - thank you, that seems a great workaround for now

John - yes, that is what I am doing. It's just very counter infinitive coming from other NLE's.
Win Pro 10, Threadripper 3960x, 128GB RAM, RTX 4080 16GB VRAM, Resolve Studio 18.5 b41

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri May 13, 2016 5:16 am

Nick Lear wrote:Marc - thank you, that seems a great workaround for now

John - yes, that is what I am doing. It's just very counter infinitive coming from other NLE's.

Make the keyboard map you wish to use and save it as the default user preset in project settings. Details in the manual for setting the default for all new projects to use a specific project setting set up. Then when you start a new project it will load that preset.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Nick Lear

PostTue May 17, 2016 3:48 pm

Thank you, that worked.

For anyone else, this is what I did (p80 manual):

- Open project Preferences
- Click on Presets
- Click on "<username> default config" in list (NB Don't hit "Load")
- Click on Keyboard Mapping, change the "Map Keyboard to"
- Click on Auto Save, turn on
- Click on Presets, hit "Save" (the one that is next to "Load")

I ignored Step 4b "Click the Apply button for each panel to keep your changes" as there is no "Apply" button, nor did the "Save" button at the bottom light up.

Return to DaVinci Resolve