Transcoded files not showing up in Resolve Media

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Justin Jackson

Transcoded files not showing up in Resolve Media

PostSat May 14, 2016 4:56 pm

Hi all,

I am pulling my hair out here. Got a simple project for my kid that I only have today to work on. We recorded using a handycam, MTS files, AVCHD. For some reason, Resolve will not pull in any audio from these files. I dont know why. Regardless, I figured.. no problem, transcode. So I am using Cliptools Convert v2 as I read from various posts that it works quite well. I am able to transcode to prores, dnxhd, etc. All of those play back in VLC with audio. However, when I select the folder where my transcoded files are in Resolve, NOTHING shows up. Not the ProRes, DNxHD, etc. I can see the old MTS files (that dont have any audio for some reason even though VLC plays them with audio just fine).

What am I missing/doing wrong? Is this a bug with Resolve 12.5? It seems to me out of the box it says it supports ProRes, DNxHD, etc. Only thing is, I dont have quicktime installed, but then I read Apple is no longer supporting Quicktime on Windows and that we should remove it. I also read that there is some way we can still have the encoder/decoder for ProRes, without needing the Quicktime player?

Any help solving this would be much appreciated. At this point, as Resolve is my only editor, I would be fine working on the source MTS files if it would import audio!
Custom DIY AMD1950x 16-core/32-thread, liquid cooled, 64GB 3600Mhz RAM, 950Pro-512GB NVMe os/apps, 2x500GB 850 Evo RAID 0 SATA3, Zotac 1070 8GB video, USB 3.1Gen2 RAID0 2x4TB, 2x2TB Crucial MX500 SSD SATA3.

Adam Simmons

Re: Transcoded files not showing up in Resolve Media

PostSat May 14, 2016 5:10 pm

Just download QuickTime from the Apple website, run the installer and choose 'Custom' then in there just install the 'Essentials' part.
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.
Building Bespoke Video Editing systems for over 16 years

Martin Schitter

PostSat May 14, 2016 5:26 pm

Justin Jackson wrote:no problem, transcode. So I am using Cliptools Convert v2 as I read from various posts that it works quite well. I am able to transcode to prores, dnxhd, etc. All of those play back in VLC with audio. However, when I select the folder where my transcoded files are in Resolve, NOTHING shows up. Not the ProRes, DNxHD, etc. I can see the old MTS files (that dont have any audio for some reason even though VLC plays them with audio just fine).

DNxHD and prores in .mov (=quicktime) containers should work.

DNxHD in MXF containers are much harder to produce by free tools. the .mxf files from ffmpeg do not work in resolve. you have to process them by bmxtranswrap to make them work:
Code: Select all
bmxtranswrap  -p -o OUTPUT.mxf -t op1a  --min-part --track-map stereo INPUT.mxf

especially the '--min-part' option seams to be necessary to make the files visible in resolve.

some people claim, that DNxHD in MXF containers will be processed more effective in resolve for windows than DNxHD in .mov files. i don't know, if that's true.

but in fact ffmpeg and all the other tooles based on it are still not able to encode DNxHR! only decoding of this newer avid codec is possible right now, and the older DNxHD can not be used for resolutions beyond 1080p. that's why it looks more useful, to transcode to prores in many cases. using one of this free transcoding solutions this can be archived on any platform quite simple.

Justin Jackson

PostSat May 14, 2016 6:45 pm

I did that, but Resolve still tells me encoder/decoder initialization failed (2 separate dialog boxes). I just did it again, same issue. Maybe need to reboot computer?

Regardless, doesnt Resolve have DNxHD support built in? DNxHR even? During installation I am not told to go to some separate site and download/install Avid codecs, although I have done that too.

I would assume from the many posts I have read about the Cliptools Convert v2 working great, that if I select files, convert to ProRes and/or DNxHD, and BOTH formats (after transcoded) play in VLC and Windows Media Player, that they should ALSO be usable in Resolve? but in my case, they are not. Resolve is not showing the transcoded media files at all in the dir that they are in. I have added the folder to media, etc.

So.. perhaps it is a 12.5 beta 2 bug?
Custom DIY AMD1950x 16-core/32-thread, liquid cooled, 64GB 3600Mhz RAM, 950Pro-512GB NVMe os/apps, 2x500GB 850 Evo RAID 0 SATA3, Zotac 1070 8GB video, USB 3.1Gen2 RAID0 2x4TB, 2x2TB Crucial MX500 SSD SATA3.

Martin Schitter

PostSat May 14, 2016 6:52 pm

Justin Jackson wrote:I did that, but Resolve still tells me encoder/decoder initialization failed (2 separate dialog boxes). I just did it again, same issue. Maybe need to reboot computer?

i had to install 12,5b1 twice, to overcome this stupid quicktime warning issue...

Justin Jackson wrote:I would assume from the many posts I have read about the Cliptools Convert v2 working great, that if I select files, convert to ProRes and/or DNxHD, and BOTH formats (after transcoded) play in VLC and Windows Media Player, that they should ALSO be usable in Resolve? but in my case, they are not. Resolve is not showing the transcoded media files at all in the dir that they are in. I have added the folder to media, etc.

did you use .mov or .mfx containers for DNxHD?

Justin Jackson

PostSat May 14, 2016 7:11 pm

I have used both MXF and MOV. I just reinstalled 12.3.2 and uninstalled 12.5 b2. Same problem exists.

I then installed MediaTab (http://winaero.com/blog/see-detailed-pr ... -mediatab/ gives info on it). I use it to tell me the details of the transcoded file. It shows that it is QuickTime. QT quality, but uses MPEG4. It does show 2 channels of audio using PCM 16bit 44.1Khz. It plays in VLC just fine. Resolve will not load it.

I must be missing something fundamental about Resolve and file formats and support. It shows me in Media Storage panel, the MTS files. I can dbl click and it shows it in the player (in Resolve). When I play it, no audio, but video plays. When I drag it to the media pool area, it says 0 audio channels. Yet, it plays in VLC with audio. Details shows it has 2 channels of PCM audio. Why is Resolve refusing to use the audio channels. Is there some setting that is discrete that I have to enable to accept audio?

When I transcode the file using ClipToolz Convert v2, the output in either ProRes or DNxHD seem fine. The details of each file match what I have found others to report on the net for those formats. Yet again, Resolve is completely refusing to even show the files in Media.

Very frustrating because I want to make Resolve my NLE of choice, but this is completely blocking anything.

The sad thing is this is typical of Black Magic products. I love the company, the potential products, but I bought their SSD recorder years ago, and the ridiculous limited SSD that would work with it, and even then I could never get it to work, with lack of info, issues, etc. Same thing with my Black Magic Intensity card. It has analog inputs, and anything I send comes in screwed up. A much simpler/cheaper product, works just fine. Every time. And now I am finding the same sort of issue with Resolve. I realize other people may not have these problems, but this is basic stuff. Being able to read an MTS file but ignore its audio is a massive glaring issue to me. Being unable to read in either DNxHD or ProRes in both MOV and MXF, at all, seems like a huge glaring bug, one that should never be in a product as popular/used as this is. I am sure it works great for some things, but this seems ridiculous to me that this is a problem. Am I to read 100s of pages of manuals and stuff to hopefully find a solution? This should just work. If there is some minor thing like audio must be in a specific format for Resolve to accept the file.. or the format must be a certain way.. then for Fawks sake.. show me a dialog that says Hey.. the file you want is almost right.. we noticed this/that, but we dont support that, it needs to do this... I mean this is a production used pro level software package, it should at the very least give some sort of hints when I drag/drop a video file into it and it just shows a circle/cross that it wont accept it, why wont it accept it. Help a brother out.

John Paines

PostSat May 14, 2016 7:45 pm

Justin Jackson wrote:I use it to tell me the details of the transcoded file. It shows that it is QuickTime. QT quality, but uses MPEG4. It does show 2 channels of audio using PCM 16bit 44.1Khz.

Impossible to say for sure at this distance, but assuming the encoder/decoder is now loading, it sounds like you're not actually transcoding to DNxHD or Prores (neither is mpeg4). You also might want to try the 48khz option, rather than 44.1, and avoid the mxf container for now, stick with .mov.

Start again with cliptoolz, and make sure you're actually transcoding to DNxHD or ProRes. That's my provisional two cents, anyway.

Justin Jackson

PostSat May 14, 2016 8:25 pm

Any idea why Resolve shows the MTS files, and plays the video, but has no audio at all? Indicates 0 channels? That seems ridiculous that it completely ignores audio from the MTS file.

Martin Schitter

PostSat May 14, 2016 9:22 pm

Justin Jackson wrote:Any idea why Resolve shows the MTS files, and plays the video, but has no audio at all? Indicates 0 channels? That seems ridiculous that it completely ignores audio from the MTS file.

many applications do not allow PCM audio in mpeg-4 (.mp4) containers. it's violating the standard, although it's often used in industrial products. you have to rewrap the video and audio data in .mov container to play it.

John Paines

PostSat May 14, 2016 9:47 pm

There are long threads on the .mts issue -- it's because the audio, AC-3, requires a license and isn't supported in Resolve. H.264 editing in Resolve isn't all that responsive anyway -- apparently not a high priority for BMD, and who can blame them? How much high-end grading is done on 8-bit 4:2:0 .mts clips?

In any case, cliptoolz does work -- you just need to get the settings right.

Justin Jackson

PostTue May 17, 2016 4:52 pm

Hi,

Thank you for the replies. Yes, I bought the Cliptools Convert v3 (3.1). Turns out there was a bug where audio was not output correctly and a new patch soon to fix it.

I apologize, after rereading this thread, I see my error. Well at least in my responses.

I did try FFMPEG and didnt read where you told me it doesnt work well (or at all) in resolve showing the videos. I didnt see the wrapper line you mentioned till just now. If Convert v3.1 works, then I will be using that.. 50 bucks well spent.

I selected DNxHD, and I think Convert V3 just chose .mov container..but I cant remember, not able to look till this weekend. I would prefer to avoid any Quicktime use at all on my system and stick with DNxHD and MXF containers. If Convert v3.1 can generate MXF containers with DNxHD and PCM Audio, and Resolve will load/use those just fine..that would be great. Otherwise, I am also wondering if using Cineform (GoPro) makes sense? I read just this past weekend that it is also a good intermediary editing format on part with ProRes and DNxHD. Curious how well it will be adopted, if it works with Resolve, etc.

Return to DaVinci Resolve