[SOLVED] Surround timeline keep coming back to stereo

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Eddy Juillerat

[SOLVED] Surround timeline keep coming back to stereo

PostSun Jun 26, 2016 12:04 am

In media pool:
Video DNxHD file with original 2.0 audio file and 5.1 audio file linked to it.

New timeline, 6 channels, with a 5.1 audio track
Clips attributes: 5.1
Preferences: playout audio 6 channels

Played 6 channels in the preview (left window)
I import the video file into the timeline and play but only 2 channels are played.

I get back to the media pool, check the timeline metadata; it shows only 2 channels.
I recreate a new timeline, with 6 channels, click on another clip, click back to the timeline and every time it switches to 2 channels.

Annoying as hell.

- Why can't we have a very user-friendly thing like a "Timeline settings"? Instead of checking in every corners of the software. Seems so basic.
Last edited by Eddy Juillerat on Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cameras: [BMPCC4K - Panasonic Lumix lenses] - [BMCC 2,5K EF - Sigma EX lenses]
System: Windows 10 pro 64 bits SSD - 5.1 - Resolve 18.5
Asus board X99-s - Intel Core i7-5960x 3 GHz - RAM 32 GB - MSI GeForce RTX 2060 VENTUS GP OC (6 Go)

Eddy Juillerat

Re: Surround tineline keep coming back to stereo

PostSun Jun 26, 2016 1:01 am

OK I found it.

Resolve beeing a massive mess, I found that in the EDIT page, I've to show the Track Mixer (nothing else) and only there I can change the number of channels from 2 to 6.

Let's recap: to be sure to work with 5.1 audio we have to check:
- Resolve Preferences > Audio playout
- Timeline Setting
- Clip Settings
- Audio track channels
- Track mixer channels

Is this right? Am I a stupid non-professionnal moron or maybe the magic of softwares didn't apply here? Because these machines are made to make our job easier, not harder. Or maybe it's to please the ego of the people who knows all the little tricks? Anyway, that's why I hate to love this tool, like a tumultuous marriage.
Cameras: [BMPCC4K - Panasonic Lumix lenses] - [BMCC 2,5K EF - Sigma EX lenses]
System: Windows 10 pro 64 bits SSD - 5.1 - Resolve 18.5
Asus board X99-s - Intel Core i7-5960x 3 GHz - RAM 32 GB - MSI GeForce RTX 2060 VENTUS GP OC (6 Go)

Marc Wielage

Re: Surround tineline keep coming back to stereo

PostSun Jun 26, 2016 1:27 am

Eddy Juillerat wrote:I found that in the EDIT page, I've to show the Track Mixer (nothing else) and only there I can change the number of channels from 2 to 6.

It may not be where you expect to find it, but that's pretty much how the program works.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve