Dealing with hot pixels in DNGs within DaVinci Resolve.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Giacomo Vanetti

Dealing with hot pixels in DNGs within DaVinci Resolve.

PostMon Jul 25, 2016 1:40 pm

Hi everyone. It's all in the title. I will grade footage shooted with magic lanter's raw. Folders full of dngs. My 5D2 is old and I'm having a lot of hotpixels and such. I was searching for some kind of plugins that could do the same job that ACR or RawTherapee do but inside Resolve. Something that would simply replace the bad pixels values with the median from the near ones.
Do you know/use something like that?

My current solution: I'm using BG Pixel Blaster on FCPX, I don't particularly like the method (clone pixel function) and the process power required is a lot.

Solutions that I've considered:
1) Converting the DNGs with RawTherapee with only a single pass of hot pixel removal. Since I've a loot of footage I would like to avoid this. EDIT: It's worse that I thought, I was stupidly thinking that I could export them as DNG but of course I've to debayer them and export as TIFF/PNG. Not possible.

2) The plugin PixelPatcher from PlayTool. It's not for Mac and anyway it uses the blur/blend process that doesn't seem ideal for moving scenes.

Thanks in advance for your time and help!

wolfgang hershey

Re: Dealing with hot pixels in DNGs within DaVinci Resolve.

PostMon Jul 25, 2016 7:27 pm

For fixed sensor dust
I've had good luck using the blur in a tiny tiny powermask

but it really works best on things that are not moving

for me that was easier than converting everything to single frames for the dust buster

WH
MacBook Pro (16-inch 2019)
OS X 13.3.1 (a) / 18.5 beta Resolve Studio - DeckLink Studio 4k via Thunderbolt3
64GB - AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB
10Gb ethernet network

Giacomo Vanetti

PostMon Jul 25, 2016 7:37 pm

wolfgang hershey wrote:For fixed sensor dust
I've had good luck using the blur in a tiny tiny powermask

but it really works best on things that are not moving

for me that was easier than converting everything to single frames for the dust buster

WH

Yes, I will probably use ReAnimator on FCPX that has the same principle with a lot of options. The dream of a raw hot pixel automatic suppression inside Resolve will not become true.

Dermot Shane

PostMon Jul 25, 2016 7:56 pm

BCC restore, pixel fixer, drop it on the deadpixel, done

Eddie Aghahowa

PostMon Jul 25, 2016 10:22 pm

+1 BCC Pixel Fixer

Giacomo Vanetti

PostMon Jul 25, 2016 11:22 pm

Interesting thanks. No what I was looking for but I can try one more.

JPOwens

PostTue Jul 26, 2016 12:13 am

Giacomo Vanetti wrote:No what I was looking for but I can try one more

that's a bummer, because the Boris Pixel fixer works.

What you can simulate in Resolve is to generate a very tiny power window and add a ton of blur to it. It will work until you cross a higher-contrast element. Then you have to animate it.

jPo

Giacomo Vanetti

PostTue Jul 26, 2016 11:27 pm

JPOwens wrote:
Giacomo Vanetti wrote:No what I was looking for but I can try one more

that's a bummer, because the Boris Pixel fixer works.

What you can simulate in Resolve is to generate a very tiny power window and add a ton of blur to it. It will work until you cross a higher-contrast element. Then you have to animate it.

jPo

Since I need to pass from FCPX anyway if I can't have a clean raw solution I think I will stick with ReAnimator, it has tons of really usefull options and cost really little.

Thanks to everyone for the support!

Paul Dore

PostWed Jul 27, 2016 5:13 pm

If you know the exact location of the dead pixel then a simple DCTL will remove it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jean Claude

PostWed Jul 27, 2016 5:21 pm

Hi,

It's doable but for a range of several pixels that will not be easy.
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Paul Dore

PostWed Jul 27, 2016 5:55 pm

Jean Claude wrote:Hi,

It's doable but for a range of several pixels that will not be easy.

How many exactly? Every pixel has an X,Y coordinate, so one short entry in the main DCTL function per pixel will do, plus the DCTL is processed directly in the GPU so optimum speed is assured.

Robert Arnold

PostWed Jul 27, 2016 6:14 pm

Paul Dore wrote:If you know the exact location of the dead pixel then a simple DCTL will remove it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you give an example of what that code would look like?

Paul Dore

PostWed Jul 27, 2016 6:43 pm

The following is probably the simplest method. It basically replaces the hot pixel with the first pixel directly to its left.

Code: Select all
__DEVICE__ float3 transform(int p_Width, int p_Height, int p_X, int p_Y, __TEXTURE__ p_TexR, __TEXTURE__ p_TexG, __TEXTURE__ p_TexB)
{
    const bool deadpixel = p_X == ("x values") && p_Y == ("y values");

const float r = (deadpixel) ? _tex2D(p_TexR, p_X -1, p_Y) : _tex2D(p_TexR, p_X, p_Y);
    const float g = (deadpixel) ? _tex2D(p_TexG, p_X -1, p_Y) : _tex2D(p_TexG, p_X, p_Y);
    const float b = (deadpixel) ? _tex2D(p_TexB, p_X -1, p_Y) : _tex2D(p_TexB, p_X, p_Y);

return make_float3(r, g, b);
}

Multiple X,Y coordinates can be entered in the const bool declaration, and a more complex method of replacement (such as averaging the surrounding pixels) can be adopted.

Robert Arnold

PostThu Jul 28, 2016 9:30 am

Thanks!

Giacomo Vanetti

PostThu Jul 28, 2016 4:10 pm

Thanks for the answer Paul! I'm happy that someone find it usefull, it seems a clean solution.
As for me I don't have the studio version or the skills I think so :| Maybe I should change the title in REQUEST and black magic will do that hot pixel raw thing later on :))

Paul Dore

PostThu Jul 28, 2016 5:01 pm

Giacomo Vanetti wrote:Thanks for the answer Paul! I'm happy that someone find it usefull, it seems a clean solution.
As for me I don't have the studio version or the skills I think so :| Maybe I should change the title in REQUEST and black magic will do that hot pixel raw thing later on :))

The function could be expanded into an OFX plugin, which will work on the regular version as well as the Studio one. Wouldn't be too hard to put together.

Dermot Shane

PostThu Jul 28, 2016 6:27 pm

control of area width/ delta width / delta depth / averageing values / pixel blur values at a minimum are needed (and all need to be animatable) to come close to what is on offer in comercial packages like BCC, preferably one wold want sepreatly animatable values for delta width & depth for each of averageing & blur values

i made a usefull tool for DS years ago, and that lot above is what it took to maek something that really worked - when i started using BCC's restore, i stopped roundtripping to DS for dead pixels

but a simple blur and/or averageing inside a mask is a sure QC fail as soon as the dead pixel crosses a high contrast area

Return to DaVinci Resolve