firmware 4.0

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Juan Francisco Calero

Re: firmware 4.0

PostFri Aug 19, 2016 10:35 pm

Awesome news!!

It would be great to have some of those changes in the rest of the Blackmagic cameras too :)
Juan Francisco Calero
Director, Producer and Anthologist at The Fiction Anthology

Denny Smith

PostFri Aug 19, 2016 10:51 pm

Thanks, at least it doe not effect your recording, so it is a display issue only. This is good news.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Ned Soltz

PostSat Aug 20, 2016 2:06 am

Javier Yanez wrote:Hi!!

love the new firmware

dont work for me:

-camera presets:
fps didnt work, frame size and codec looks ok, but when i change the preset the fps didnt change

how camera presets works for you??

Frame rate changes are working just fine for me. I have created several presets with different frame rates, different flavors of ProRes, and RAW, each with a different frame rate. Whenever I change the preset, all parameters are preserved, including frame rate.

Ned Soltz

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Aug 20, 2016 3:52 am

Kyle Gordon wrote:Id love to see a thirds overlay too that divides letterboxed material correctly. I appreciate the tip Rick!

Hi, the thirds guide in 4.0 now scales relative to the frame guide you have enabled, and even scales differently per output depending on if the frame guide is enabled for that output or not. Is this what you mean?
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Kyle Gordon

PostSat Aug 20, 2016 4:03 am

Hook! AWESOME yes that really helps.

I still want a cropped in window with thirds for headroom in post and reframing, but I know thats a weird personal thing. I would never expect it to be standard. It'd be great to be able to load in our own frames with alpha, but I know no other camera has that, maybe some monitors do. Still it'd be amazing in a future FW if possible.

Anyway, please dont take this as a complaint, I am thrilled with what you guys have done for FW 4.

Ill keep my comments on the other issue confined to that other thread :)

THANK YOU!
Kyle Gordon
Professional Singer/Composer/Producer and Director/Editor/Colorist

rick.lang

PostSat Aug 20, 2016 5:43 am

Should be a non-issue for the 4.0 general release candidate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Javier Yanez

PostSat Aug 20, 2016 10:08 am

Ned Soltz wrote:
Javier Yanez wrote:Hi!!

love the new firmware

dont work for me:

-camera presets:
fps didnt work, frame size and codec looks ok, but when i change the preset the fps didnt change

how camera presets works for you??

Frame rate changes are working just fine for me. I have created several presets with different frame rates, different flavors of ProRes, and RAW, each with a different frame rate. Whenever I change the preset, all parameters are preserved, including frame rate.

Ned Soltz

For me not :-( all changes except the frame rate

could you send this pressets for me? (to see if works) jynewmedia@gmail.com

-raw losless 4.6k 60fps

-raw losless 2k 120 fps

-pro ress xq 2k 120 fps

-pro ress 422 3k 60fps

thanks!

rick.lang

firmware 4.0

PostSat Aug 20, 2016 5:58 pm

You can create your own presets on the Mini easily (assuming this is working as I haven't done it yet) so you can vary the frame rate, resolution, codec, and so on to suit your purposes perfectly. Just define all the settings for a given scenario up, go to the Preset tab and create the preset with a name you like. Repeat for each preset you want.

Rick Lang

Javier Yanez

PostSat Aug 20, 2016 8:03 pm

rick.lang wrote:You can create your own presets on the Mini easily (assuming this is working as I haven't done it yet) so you can vary the frame rate, resolution, codec, and so on to suit your purposes perfectly. Just define all the settings for a given scenario up, go to the Preset tab and create the preset with a name you like. Repeat for each preset you want.

Frame rate dont work with the pressets for me :-(

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Tapatalk

Nicholas Rothwell

PostSat Aug 20, 2016 9:20 pm

Any chance us Ursa Mini 4K users can get 2K Raw support as well?

Valentin Remy

PostSat Aug 20, 2016 9:40 pm

Alain Bourassa wrote:we had a real problem with the Phantom Power
it was not working and turning it ON and OFF a few times plus rebooting the camera finally the mike kicked in

URSA MINI 4.6K EF camera

Just tested my brand new Rode NTG1, no problem here.
http://www.instagram.com/valentinremy.be/

Denny Smith

PostSat Aug 20, 2016 10:40 pm

Capt Hook, there have been a lot of questions about FW 4.0 and the magenta issue in the UM 4.6. Can up you comment on about what or if BM is doing or planing any additional corrections for this? FW 3.3 added some correction, and it was stated, BM was stil, working on a additional FW update to finish correcting Magenta edge issue. Thanks
Last edited by Denny Smith on Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Valentin Remy

PostSun Aug 21, 2016 12:49 am

Also, any chance you'll improve the audio delay of the headphone jack?

rick.lang

firmware 4.0

PostSun Aug 21, 2016 2:55 am

Javier Yanez wrote:
rick.lang wrote:You can create your own presets on the Mini easily (assuming this is working as I haven't done it yet) so you can vary the frame rate, resolution, codec, and so on to suit your purposes perfectly. Just define all the settings for a given scenario up, go to the Preset tab and create the preset with a name you like. Repeat for each preset you want.

Frame rate dont work with the pressets for me :-(

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Tapatalk

Apologies, Javier. I'll look into that to see if it's a limitation. I understand you want Presets to associate different codecs with different frame rates. I'll test that shortly.

Edit
Javier, it's working fine for me.
I created a test preset called "raw 3 30 fps" and updated it after setting the camera to record raw 3:1 at 29.97 fps.
I created a second preset called "ProRes HQ 120 fps" and updated it after selecting ProRes HQ and enabling off speed recoding.
Then I selected the preset "raw 3 30 fps" and check-marked it to make that preset active. I verified that the camera menu shooting selections had switched to raw and it did.
Then I went back to presets, selected the "ProRes HQ 120 fps" and check-marked it to make that preset active. Again verified in the menu that my shooting settings had changed.

All worked properly. Remember the check-mark is what actually updates your settings from the preset values. First you select the desired preset by name and then click on the check-mark to load the desired settings. Hope that helps.

Correction
Javier, you may be onto a bug. I tried several times switching the active preset, sometimes the switch does reload the preset to the shooting settings, but it often does not switch, very erratic and unpredictable. And sometimes my ProRes would be 60/30 instead of the 120/30 I had defined! I'll post a bug report. Thanks!

Limitation
By the way, I noticed that only the alphanumeric characters are enabled in the keyboard to define the preset name. The comma, period, slash, etc are greyed out at this time. I use 29.97 fps, but created the preset as 30 since I couldn't type the decimal point. I should have typed 2997 I suppose! And raw 3 when I wanted to type raw 3:1, but there is no colon character on the preset keyboard.

Rick Lang

walter diaz

PostSun Aug 21, 2016 10:17 am

Hey All,

I recently updated to 4.0 on my URSA mini 4k and Im getting a whole bunch of hot pixels. Was not there before the update so I looked into seeing if my sensor was dirty, nothing there. looked into RAW and prores and could see the hot pixels in both.

I then reverted back to v3.4 and they were gone. I re-updated to 4.0 and they are back in the exact same spots. Anyone else experiencing this?

rick.lang

firmware 4.0

PostMon Aug 22, 2016 5:01 am

I tried again today to figure out what 4.0beta is doing with Presets. I've only managed to create one Preset that consistently does what it is supposed to do when I check it. So I kept it for fun and deleted all my other attempts.

Actually it is so quick to be able to define any camera setting now, the presets aren't so much a necessity, but a convenience. Looking forward to having this bug squashed, but not a showstopper.

Rick Lang

Ryan Hamblin

PostMon Aug 22, 2016 1:01 pm

I agree Rick. When I was first beta testing 4.0 in its early phases I was so excited about presets... Then I realized it took about the same amount of time to just change what I wanted. The new UI is so fantastic. That is not to say there isn't a benefit to presets. Presets are airtight for bigger productions. That way you know all settings are correctly defined for the given situation and can be labeled as such. BMD are killing it and I hope more of the professional world takes note. We are so happy I have jumped ship from RED.

The only thing we really miss is being able to natively drop raw files into FCPX. If FCPx gets CDNG support on its next big update... There will be a less prores being shot at our company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

www.ryanhamblin.com
www.brainstem.tv
www.brainstem.tv
www.ryanhamblin.com

James Parker

PostMon Aug 22, 2016 3:41 pm

Ryan Hamblin wrote:I agree Rick. When I was first beta testing 4.0 in its early phases I was so excited about presets... Then I realized it took about the same amount of time to just change what I wanted. The new UI is so fantastic. That is not to say there isn't a benefit to presets. Presets are airtight for bigger productions. That way you know all settings are correctly defined for the given situation and can be labeled as such. BMD are killing it and I hope more of the professional world takes note. We are so happy I have jumped ship from RED.

The only thing we really miss is being able to natively drop raw files into FCPX. If FCPx gets CDNG support on its next big update... There will be a less prores being shot at our company.

http://www.ryanhamblin.com
http://www.brainstem.tv

Yes please! Raw support in FCPX.

J.Parker

rick.lang

firmware 4.0

PostMon Aug 22, 2016 4:01 pm

Ryan and James, that's the spirit! Apple's ProRes support is great given they invented it, but FCP X must keep up with the current trend to indies shooting raw or they'll lose business to customers who look to Resolve as their NLE (like me)!

Rick Lang

Shaiful Reezal

URSA & URSA Mini EF Lens Compatibility List - Firmware 3.0+

PostMon Aug 22, 2016 4:40 pm

Hi Guys, dont know who i am supposed to address this to, just a feed back, my Sigma 70-200 APO DG lens is not compatible in term of Iris control in Beta 4.0. Maybe you guys can get it fixed for more lens compatibalilty in the confirmed 4.0 firmware.

timbutt2

PostMon Aug 22, 2016 7:26 pm

I'm editing in Resolve these days, but still have Premiere Pro for projects where I'm collaborating with other editors who are still on PPro.

As for Presets: I've been keeping 4 Presets made for my purposes.
1) RAW 16x9
2) RAW Widescreen
3) PRORES 16x9
4) PRORES Widescreen

So mainly the key is between how I have the recording settings, and how I have the monitor settings. Obviously with 16x9 I want my monitor settings to be set up a certain way as opposed to Widescreen. RAW I've kept to 24 fps, and PRORES I've kept to 23.976 fps.

However, I can choose a Preset and then adjust setting. It's all about the Preset getting me close to the settings I want for a given shoot. I will still adjust resolution, compression, and frame rate settings further for a given job.

One thing I've found to be difficult about the Presets is that the Slate metadata gets carried over to the Preset, so if I change my Preset the Slate info changes with it. This is definitely why I would keep Presets to quickly getting the camera settings to the starting point before the start of a job. Then I have to make a few small adjustments and I'm ready to go.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

rick.lang

PostMon Aug 22, 2016 8:12 pm

Good point, Tim. I hadn't thought about the Slate data.

Rick Lang

TimKyle

PostTue Aug 23, 2016 1:36 pm

Anyone able to get windowed 1080p 120FPS on their URSA 4k after the 4.0 update?

My Sigma 35 ART 1.4 is not compatible with the latest 4.0 Firmware as well. No iris control.

What I am seeing as far as windowed mode:

Edit: I notice now that when I enable windowed mode, nothing happens to the image. It remains in the same FOV.

Denny Smith

PostTue Aug 23, 2016 3:34 pm

I think you need to set guides to show the window arena, I do not believe the display zooms to adjust the FOV.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

roger.magnusson

PostTue Aug 23, 2016 3:45 pm

You should use the Off Speed Frame Rate.

Floris Schäfer

PostTue Aug 23, 2016 4:09 pm

Hi all, (first posed on the forum)

I like the new firmware but the IS on my canon 24-105 F4 L & 70-300 F4-5.6 IS USM is not working after switching to 4.0. beta. AF and iris control works fine IS on the lenses work fine on canon DSLR
I switched back to firmware 3.4 and the IS worked again.

I emailed Blackmagic about this bug.

Anyone else have this problem?

Update:
I got the reply from BM to my mail:

Thanks for the feedback.
We are currently working on the IS features and are aware of this issue for 4.0.
Last edited by Floris Schäfer on Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diego Morales

PostTue Aug 23, 2016 5:02 pm

Can you change the Camera ID in the Beta Version? If so, how?

adamroberts

PostTue Aug 23, 2016 6:00 pm

Diego Morales wrote:Can you change the Camera ID in the Beta Version? If so, how?

Not in front of the camera but I'm pretty sure it's done in the slate under project settings. Swipe left or right.

Eli hershko

PostWed Aug 24, 2016 1:13 am

In the previous Firmware when dealing with "audio drift" I was told to set the audio to "match" sensor option... I couldn't find that option in 4.0 anymore... Is it hidden somewhere or is it removed?
Eli Hershko
http://www.conjuredvisions.com
http://pro.imdb.com/name/nm2860666/

Denny Smith

PostWed Aug 24, 2016 1:58 am

No, you set project frame rate and camera frame rate to "Match", i.e. Project to 1080/24 and set camera to "Match", or the other way round.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Eli hershko

PostWed Aug 24, 2016 3:39 am

Denny Smith wrote:No, you set project frame rate and camera frame rate to "Match", i.e. Project to 1080/24 and set camera to "Match", or the other way round.
Cheers

Thanks for the reply Denny but that's exactly it... I can't find project frame rate and camera frame rate tabs any longer in the 4.0 firmware... Can you walk me through it?
Eli Hershko

Denny Smith

PostWed Aug 24, 2016 4:07 am

Sorry, I do not actually have a UM, although I would love to. I was visiting Rick hen we got his, and I am a former ENG cameraman, and the tow are similar in a lot of ways, except the UM has way better IQ. So I got to work with Rick and his camera. Yiu,should sent Rick a PM, he would be glad to walk you through the new menu, if he can. I understand how the previous "match" setting helped to keep the audio in sync. Perhaps, under the new OS, this is not required as the camera is able to keep audio in sync, when the frame rates and projects frame rate are the same. They did make an improvement in actual time code sync too. Captain Hook could address this, if he is able.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Chris Hocking

PostWed Aug 24, 2016 4:13 am

Eli hershko wrote:In the previous Firmware when dealing with "audio drift" I was told to set the audio to "match" sensor option... I couldn't find that option in 4.0 anymore... Is it hidden somewhere or is it removed?

It's been removed. If you want to go "off speed", you simply tick the "OFF SPEED RECORDING" toggle, and adjust the "OFF SPEED FRAME RATE". If you have "OFF SPEED RECORDING" set to "OFF", then that's the same as "match".

Screen Shot 2016-08-24 at 2.12.32 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-08-24 at 2.12.32 PM.png (272.97 KiB) Viewed 101143 times

Denny Smith

PostWed Aug 24, 2016 4:16 am

Thank you Chris, thought it might have been something like that. The AF100 worked the same way, except when you selected under/over crank, audio was disconnected, and did not record, since it would not be in sync anyway.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Chris Hocking

PostWed Aug 24, 2016 4:29 am

With ProRes at least, the audio is always recorded in real-time, so if you record at 120fps, it will have the start of the clip with audio in realtime, then go to silence, even though picture's still going.

rick.lang

firmware 4.0

PostWed Aug 24, 2016 4:47 am

With raw and the separate .wave file per clip, is audio is recorded at the project frame rate? But how that would be matched to the slow motion when projected? I should test this!

Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostWed Aug 24, 2016 4:56 am

It's not Rick, you would need to manually sync the sound to the appropriate video action in post. As Cheis said, yiu would hear the audio clip at the start, with Asia,playing in "real time" it would soon end, and the slow motion video would continue to play.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Chris Hocking

PostWed Aug 24, 2016 5:16 am

rick.lang wrote:With raw and the separate .wave file per clip, is audio is recorded at the project frame rate? But how that would be matched to the slow motion when projected? I should test this!

I didn't actually test RAW high-speed, only ProRes. I would ASSUME the audio would just be at project frame rate, so the duration of the video will NOT match the duration of the audio, so if you wanted to match, you'd need to re-time and pitch shift the audio.

adamroberts

PostWed Aug 24, 2016 5:55 am

Eli hershko wrote:In the previous Firmware when dealing with "audio drift" I was told to set the audio to "match" sensor option... I couldn't find that option in 4.0 anymore... Is it hidden somewhere or is it removed?

In the Recording menu, 2nd page, set "Off speed recording" to off.

That sets the sensor frame rate to match the project frame rate. Does the same as Match in 3.3.

adamroberts

PostWed Aug 24, 2016 6:19 am

rick.lang wrote:With raw and the separate .wave file per clip, is audio is recorded at the project frame rate? But how that would be matched to the slow motion when projected? I should test this!

Most cameras, when shooting off speed, don't record audio.

On the BM cameras the audio is recorded in realtime so it would need to be stretched to match you off speed footage.

The math is simple... Just divide the project frame rate with the recorded frame rate.

So for 24p project with 30p footage you get 0.8 (24/30). So the audio needs to play back at 80% speed.

If it was 30p project with 24p footage it would be 1.25 (30/24) so playback needs to be 125%.

eriklieders

PostWed Aug 24, 2016 11:27 am

after update i've got this. Violet shadows. Non smooth grades of blacks (like 8bit image).3.4 was the same but a slightly less.
Attachments
1111.jpg
1111.jpg (568.18 KiB) Viewed 101076 times

Eli hershko

PostWed Aug 24, 2016 1:18 pm

Thanks Adam and Chris
Eli Hershko

Philippe Metro

PostThu Aug 25, 2016 5:18 pm

I like this firmware a lot. Very intuitive, like a good smartphone app.
One feature I'd like to see in 4.1 would be the ability to have one audio channel recording from the internal microphone, and the other one from a XLR Input.

Valentin Remy

PostThu Aug 25, 2016 5:19 pm

Philippe Metro wrote:I like this firmware a lot. Very intuitive, like a good smartphone app.
One feature I'd like to see in 4.1 would be the ability to have one audio channel recording from the internal microphone, and the other one from a XLR Input.

You can already do it :) Check again !

Michael Moore

PostFri Aug 26, 2016 12:51 pm

Valentin Remy wrote:

Please can tell me step by step how i can record same time CH 1 XLR external microphone and CH 2 ursa mini internal microphone?

Philippe Metro

PostFri Aug 26, 2016 12:57 pm

Michael Moore wrote:
Valentin Remy wrote:

Please can tell me step by step how i can record same time CH 1 XLR external microphone and CH 2 ursa mini internal microphone?

Yes, even with the manual I can't figure out how to do it either.

Valentin Remy

PostFri Aug 26, 2016 3:29 pm

Philippe Metro wrote:
Michael Moore wrote:
Valentin Remy wrote:

Yes, even with the manual I can't figure out how to do it either.

My mistake ! I thought the "Mic" option allowed us to use the internal mic.

I just checked again and it doesn't work, sorry !

rick.lang

PostFri Aug 26, 2016 4:31 pm

The choice appears to be either internal mic or external XLR. Once you select XLR, you can use channel 1 and channel 2 independently or linked. Maybe a future firmware change will alter that since it has it's purposes.

Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostFri Aug 26, 2016 4:35 pm

Do not know why anyone would want to use the internal mic, audio is low, and it picks up all the camera noise. A small inexpensive mic with a level booster in it would work better, like the VideoMic Pro, adapted to an XLR.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Valentin Remy

PostFri Aug 26, 2016 8:35 pm

btw, I think I noticed a bug.

When you guys get out of the playback mode by pressing record (like before), is your camera recording when you leave playback ?

Mine did this afternoon, quite a pain because I have a long shot of just me walking with the camera because of that :p Took space for nothing. Or is there an other way to leave playback ?
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography