Driver still in memory error

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Sergey Stoyanov

Driver still in memory error

PostTue Nov 01, 2016 8:21 pm

Hello after some testing and so on i found that if a program crashes while the device is in use/capturing video it can no longer start even after unplugging/plugging back the device. A restart is needed to renew operation.
Device manager says

"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because a previous instance of the device driver is still in memory. (Code 38)

The driver could not be loaded because a previous version of the driver is still in memory.
"
Also when using WDM capture mode i get random Blue screens on my machines - Both Windows 7 and 10.
I am looking for log files or anything that can tell me what is going on but so far everything points to the driver.
Driver version: Blackmagic_Desktop_Video_Windows_10.8.2
Hardware: Intensity Shuttle for USB3

Any ideas ?

Best regards!

Adam Simmons

Re: Driver still in memory error

PostWed Nov 02, 2016 6:07 am

This is quite common and happens with a lot of hardware after a crash and not just editing hardware. It's been a long standing practice that if you have a crash you should always restart your system to clear everything down.

As to your random Blue-screens, Full system specs would help (motherboard, CPU, all cards in the system, software being used etc), along with the Blue-screen error message. And if you have any mindumps you could PM one to me and I could take a look
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.
Building Bespoke Video Editing systems for over 16 years

Return to Getting Started