Simple Internal Battery Powering Solution

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

James Tonkin

Simple Internal Battery Powering Solution

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 6:57 pm

I wanted to post this as a new topic so those interested in keeping the camera size small and light could follow a similar approach to power-management.

I've used the battery system below for filming solo on the streets, in a crowded carnival and on location. For me it's idea as I can either simply recharge the camera when not in use in my bag or power the camera for filming whilst it recharges the internal battery at the same time.

I use a Hawk-woods battery system and run mine off Sony NP-F970s which I use with my other cameras:

http://www.hawkwoods.com/products/dv_li ... mToSlide=2
Attachments
IMG_1162.jpg
IMG_1162.jpg (464.94 KiB) Viewed 5839 times
IMG_1166.jpg
IMG_1166.jpg (436.16 KiB) Viewed 5839 times
IMG_1210.jpg
IMG_1210.jpg (525.03 KiB) Viewed 5839 times

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

Re: Simple Internal Battery Powering Solution

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 7:34 pm

That Hawk-Woods battery adapter is cool!

George Wharmby

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 7:40 pm

That looks perfect, I think i'd strap it to the bottom, get the handles with a mic on top and I'm in documentary heaven... James Tonkin, could you please give me the full product code/name so I can order one of these. Can't same to find them for sale anywhere...

cheer

G

Laco Gaal

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 8:49 pm

how much runtime do you get with a np-f970?
thanks!

James Tonkin

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 8:55 pm

could you please give me the full product code/name so I can order one of these. Can't same to find them for sale anywhere...

I ordered mine direct from Hawk-woods based on the link in my first post but had mine slightly custom made for my previous camera system. I'd recommend contacting them and telling them exactly what you're after so they make the correct polarity lead for the camera. They are a great company who are very helpful and friendly.

As for max run time I don't know as I've not reached the end of a battery from continuous shooting yet.

George Wharmby

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 9:45 pm

James Tonkin wrote:
could you please give me the full product code/name so I can order one of these. Can't same to find them for sale anywhere...

I ordered mine direct from Hawk-woods based on the link in my first post but had mine slightly custom made for my previous camera system. I'd recommend contacting them and telling them exactly what you're after so they make the correct polarity lead for the camera. They are a great company who are very helpful and friendly.

As for max run time I don't know as I've not reached the end of a battery from continuous shooting yet.

Cheers man, I'll fire them off an email and see what they say. Just noticed that View Factor have released a new clamp and battery mount as well. http://www.viewfactor.net/blog/?p=217

David Dominguez

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 9:52 pm

The website is a bit confusing. I like your power solution a lot. How much would you say that it costs? thanks!

Felix Steinhardt

PostSat Sep 22, 2012 12:09 pm

I just took a closer look on the pictures and I´m a little confused because it looks like the batteries are connected from the wrong/opposite side. The connection pins normally used to connect are visible :?:
Can someone explain?

James Tonkin

PostTue Sep 25, 2012 1:16 pm

Felix Steinhardt wrote:I just took a closer look on the pictures and I´m a little confused because it looks like the batteries are connected from the wrong/opposite side. The connection pins normally used to connect are visible :?:
Can someone explain?

Hi Felix, this system I've shown is one which I've had for a year which uses Hawk-wood's own NPF batteries which have terminals on the top of the battery to allow the connection convertor box shown in the photos to be attached. When used with a camera like the Sony FS700, it allows you to both power the camera and also power additional items from the connection box, i.e. monitors, onboard lights etc.

I've been working with Hawk-woods on a new prototype powering system for the BMCC which you can see below. This one takes any Sony NPF battery and allows you to continually power the camera by just swapping batteries. I've used it for about a week so far and it's been great.
Attachments
HW_cage_small.jpg
HW_cage_small.jpg (358.27 KiB) Viewed 5324 times

James Tonkin

PostSat Sep 29, 2012 10:29 am

A bit more information from Hawk-woods on the systems they're developing:

http://www.hawkwoods.com/products/black ... ToSlide=17

simonkn

PostSun Sep 30, 2012 2:03 pm

ooo... so a bit like the Atomos Ninja hot-swapping idea?

Well done Sir! will be ordering one on the day my camera ships.. give us the results when you have them..

How many "outs" will it have - i.e. how many aux. items could it feasibly power?? I collect NPF-9xx batteries with my Z5 so i'll have months worth of power!!!! mwahhhaahha...

annoyingly

Simon

Return to Cinematography