DaVinci Resolve 13 | Big Feature Request List(s)

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Danilo Coelho

Re: DaVinci Resolve 13 | Big Feature Request List(s)

PostSat Oct 22, 2016 2:11 pm

Would be nice to have shortcuts for change the clip colors on the edit page and a better compatibility with h264 codec.

Craig Marshall

PostTue Oct 25, 2016 9:04 pm

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:A simple built-in adjustable audio high-pass filter (or low-freq roll off) would be extremely useful.

Every free VST plugin I've tried eventually crashes Resolve 12.5.1 & earlier on two completely different very clean Win 10 Pro PCs. Tired of looking for something simple, free & reliable.

So, built-in is preferred. :-)

-

I agree, a simple built in filter would be useful. A variable Q Parametric would be ideal as it can achieve good custom filtration with very few controls. And while we're here, how about allowing the Audio Mixer panel slide onto a separate monitor in the Edit page, just as the Scopes panel will now in Media and Color pages?
4K Post Studio, Freelance Filmmaker, Media Writer
Win10/Lightworks/Resolve 15.1/X-Keys 68 Jog-Shuttle/OxygenTec ProPanel
12G SDI Decklink 4K Pro/Calibrated 10bit IPS SDI Monitor
HDvideo4K.com

Paul Sangha

PostSun Oct 30, 2016 9:47 pm

In Timeline grading mode, after having made sharpness adjustment for example:

Ctrl+F to view in full screen and play the timeline
And Ctrl+F to come back out of full screen back to grading.

Here the grading mode changes to back to Clip by itself. Is this intentional or a bug? Seems like the latter and if so can this be addressed in the next release? (cant find a general bug reporting/discussing thread so thought I'd post here).
| www.Paulharveer.com | Engineer/Photographer |

Arabek Davudov

PostMon Oct 31, 2016 12:02 am

1) Resolve lacks a BASIC window (panel) management. I mean look at Premiere Pro, does not everybody love how easily panels can be moved where you want them to be? People are different and they use Resolve differently.
2) (In case this is not already implemented) keyboard shortcuts for compound nodes management

Arabek Davudov

PostMon Oct 31, 2016 12:20 am

Paul Swan wrote:Lets start from undocking panels :D

+1
conspiringly ignored feature

Nick Lear

PostMon Oct 31, 2016 10:19 am

Craig Marshall wrote:
Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:A simple built-in adjustable audio high-pass filter (or low-freq roll off) would be extremely useful.

Every free VST plugin I've tried eventually crashes Resolve 12.5.1 & earlier on two completely different very clean Win 10 Pro PCs.
-

What's nice for Mac users is that Apple seem to provide a bunch of decent AU filters including high-pass etc and these are working in Resolve, not sure yet how stable.
Win Pro 10, Threadripper 3960x, 128GB RAM, RTX 4080 16GB VRAM, Resolve Studio 18.5 b41

Henrik von Winter

PostTue Nov 01, 2016 5:55 am

Njordy Jovanovich wrote:17. Resolve Lite for Linux

Martin Schitter wrote:resolve lite for linux would be the most important/necessary improvement from my point of view.

Ingmar Rieger wrote:Being able to use Linux would make me so happy here.

Preben Randhol wrote:Now that Fusion came in Linux version, I hope Davinci Lite will also be available in Linux so I can move my entire workflow to Linux. I use Linux for everything else as it saves me time and frustrations.

I thought I am the only one. 1+ for Davinci Resolve (Lite) for Linux.

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostTue Nov 01, 2016 4:22 pm

Henrik von Winter wrote:
Njordy Jovanovich wrote:17. Resolve Lite for Linux

Martin Schitter wrote:resolve lite for linux would be the most important/necessary improvement from my point of view.

Ingmar Rieger wrote:Being able to use Linux would make me so happy here.

Preben Randhol wrote:Now that Fusion came in Linux version, I hope Davinci Lite will also be available in Linux so I can move my entire workflow to Linux. I use Linux for everything else as it saves me time and frustrations.

I thought I am the only one. 1+ for Davinci Resolve (Lite) for Linux.

Is not going to happen: they have to pay rent and electricity... similar of why we cannot map the tangent panel...
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Andrew Walldez

PostTue Nov 01, 2016 8:08 pm

Motion Blur option when moving a clip position with key frames.

This would be the best thing for me as it would finally keep me out of After Effects and improve my workflow significantly.

Andreas Schwarz

PostFri Nov 11, 2016 8:16 am

...I need a resizeable Text-Box, that can be resized in the viewer window....I was shocked, that Resolve does not have one..... :oops:

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Nov 11, 2016 11:07 am

Andreas Schwarz wrote:...I need a resizeable Text-Box, that can be resized in the viewer window....I was shocked, that Resolve does not have one..... :oops:

Have a look again.. its been there a while.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Ovi Dan

PostFri Nov 11, 2016 6:55 pm

It's mentioned in the first post of the thread, but I want to stress the need to improve the noise reduction options in the Studio version. Oddly enough, I don't necessarily mean the algorithms themselves.

On Windows machines these controls are hard to use, slow, and extremely buggy on Windows. It is so bad that I have to go way out of my way to make sure I apply noise reduction only at the end, or transcode the individual files with noise reduction before I actually start grading.

Once I touch the noise reduction controls it all goes sideways, even on a relatively powerful machine with GTX 1070. Switching between clips sometimes inconsistently resets the controls. It's bad all around.

Al Spaeth

PostSat Nov 12, 2016 9:56 pm

Output Formats
Please add H.264 MP4 - playable on most devices - and we can create BluRay DVDs.
Standard on all NLE's I have tried. DVR 12.5 is great but all reviews state most users won't be able to use it as a turnkey NLE due to limited input and output format support.

http://www.dvc.uk.com/acatalog/Comparin ... miere.html

"One of DaVinci Resolve's biggest weaknesses is the inability to load many formats. Blackmagic claim on their website that it imports nearly every kind of footage, which you could argue is true if you only look at the kind of formats that people are likely to use for high end grading, which was DaVinci's original purpose, but not true for general editing use. Resolve will not import:

Most AVI files.
AVCHD clips (sometimes it imports the picture but not the sound).
XDCAM clips.
Many QuickTime Files - for example QuickTime DV files either do not import or import but the picture is messed up.
XAVC and Canon XF clips"

"The second major area in Resolve which is poor is the output options. For most formats you will probably have to make a movie and then encode the file in something else. Resolve will not even export MP4 files. It exports some MOV files including Grass Valley HQ/HQX and Avid DNxHD/HR, as well as a variety of uncompressed formats and H.264 MOV files, which you would use to publish to YouTube. It does not do MPEG 2 files for DVD, and a whole variety of other formats we use constantly."
Last edited by Al Spaeth on Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resolve 15.3 free Win 10 64bit

Al Spaeth

PostSat Nov 12, 2016 10:04 pm

Ellory Yu wrote:
Njordy Jovanovich wrote:
1. System requirements. They are sky-high right now. There is no way Resolve should be waisting 50% of my Retina Macbook Pro's CPU just by being open, not even playing a single clip.

+1

I have a an i5 4690 with 16gb ram. Some NLEs are cpu driven but Resolve has always been GPU hungry and just died on my home PC when I first tried. I'm now using Resolve 12.5.3 and two things have happened in recent years. First Intel helped them with Quick Sync support. Watch link below

Next, using Generate Optimized Media I select DNxHR HQX and I can now edit UHD/HD smoothly on the timeline with my i5 and Intel HD Graphics with excellent preview quality. No discrete GPU card!! I am amazed.

Al Spaeth

PostSat Nov 12, 2016 10:12 pm

Generate Optimized Media
Please add Cineform and GV HQ/HQX as options in Project Settings for Optomized Media.
Thanks
Last edited by Al Spaeth on Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anthony Morrelle

PostWed Nov 16, 2016 4:06 pm

I understand if Linux Lite isn't going to happen but I'd like to add a +1 for a regular Linux Studio version that I can buy for $995, without the panel.

waltervolpatto

PostWed Nov 16, 2016 4:55 pm

Anthony Morrelle wrote:I understand if Linux Lite isn't going to happen but I'd like to add a +1 for a regular Linux Studio version that I can buy for $995, without the panel.

Is not going to happen either: they have to pay the rent too.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled

Alex Potemkin

PostSat Nov 19, 2016 8:01 pm

Please, add the possibility to render single clips with all effects, especially re-timing, by user's choice.
Alex Potemkin
http://yourphoto.nyc
http://yourphoto.biz
http://getty.yourphoto.biz
http://istock.yourphoto.biz
http://alexpotemkin.com

Blake LaFarm

PostSat Nov 19, 2016 9:14 pm

Alex Potemkin wrote:Please, add the possibility to render single clips with all effects, especially re-timing, by user's choice.
+1
HP Z840 | Dual 10-Core Xeon 2.3 GHz | Dual TITAN Xp | 64 GB RAM | Media: PCIe SSD 2.5 GB/s
DeckLink 4K Ext 12G | Pocket UltraScope | Avid Artist Color | CalMAN Studio/C6-HDR
Resolve Studio 15.0.0B.043 | Fusion Studio 9.0.2 | DTV 10.9.12 | Win10 Pro 1803

John Paines

PostSat Nov 19, 2016 9:21 pm

Alex Potemkin wrote:Please, add the possibility to render single clips with all effects, especially re-timing, by user's choice.

It did work in at least one of the 12.x betas. But the "User" selection for output caching has never worked as advertised in 12.5.x

The manual continues to list this feature, so BMD must be aware that it's missing from the software?

Lee Niederkofler

PostSun Nov 20, 2016 12:48 pm

I'd love a Linux software only with Elements support for 10.000$. I don't want/like the big panel, but I'd like to use Linux for better performance/prores support..

Lee Niederkofler

PostSun Nov 20, 2016 12:51 pm

This has been said a lot of times before but I'd appreciate it if you could bring back the HSL denoise.. Clean black/white just doesnt work well.

GregGreenhaw

PostSun Nov 20, 2016 2:19 pm

Adjust any input box with the arrow keys up and down. Holding shift for course adjustments. Maybe even add the sensitivity to the control panel section of the settings menu. Also support scroll up and down to all inputs as an alternative to arrows.

Jean Rivoire

PostSun Nov 20, 2016 2:53 pm

my whishlist for resolve 13.

-the ability to move, really freely, the titles by mouse. Currently there are « magnetic limits » that don’t allow to do that
-continue working even if rendering is in progress
-mp3 for windows
-« check update » in resolve menu
-auto backup activated by default
-correct this bug "Save my project delete my queue list" https://lc.cx/oCpx
-create personal settings for titles. Currently we have to repeat all the actions to create recurrent title (font, size, position etc.)
-when we add a video to the timeline allow to name the timeline with the file’s name ! not « timeline 1/2/3 etc.)
-better support for mp4 files (too much CPU to open and read 100 MB mp4 file...)

John Paines

PostSun Nov 20, 2016 3:18 pm

Jean Rivoire wrote:- create personal settings for titles. Currently we have to repeat all the actions to create recurrent title (font, size, position etc.)

You can already do this, in a roundabout way: create master title templates, with the settings you want, then drag them into the Power Bin, where they'll be available to any current or future project.

Tasio Liberakis

PostSun Nov 20, 2016 4:01 pm

I would like in version 13 to be able to:

copy paste a bin/ or place a timeline in power bin in order to share it between projects
middle button timeline scroll or zoom
mark clip in source window
color correct generators and titles

also in general:
improved keyframe handling and animation curves with resize and crop
W10 pro 22H2|X399 Taichi|TR4 1920x|64GB Hyper X@2133|
3060 12GB/Nvidia 531.41
Nvme system&scratch disks

John Paines

PostSun Nov 20, 2016 4:38 pm

Tasio Liberakis wrote:copy paste a bin/ or place a timeline in power bin in order to share it between projects
middle button timeline scroll or zoom
mark clip in source window

- you can drag any clip bin into the Power Bin, which automatically copies it, which can be easier than copy/paste, as long as you're in list view. No timelines, however.

-- middle button does scroll the timeline and middle-button+Alt zooms. You need to uncheck "enable 2d timeline scroll" in the View menu.

-- "mark clip in source window"? But of course you can do that ... unless I misunderstood?

Jean Rivoire

PostSun Nov 20, 2016 5:47 pm

John Paines wrote:
Jean Rivoire wrote:- create personal settings for titles. Currently we have to repeat all the actions to create recurrent title (font, size, position etc.)

You can already do this, in a roundabout way: create master title templates, with the settings you want, then drag them into the Power Bin, where they'll be available to any current or future project.

thanks, I didn't know that. IMHO I think it should be easier to find this solution. may be rethink this option to make it more practical.

Andrii Dovhyi

PostMon Nov 21, 2016 6:39 pm

Please make a capture tool as in QTake, with recognition of the metadata from the camera - stop and recording, reel names, file names. Why third-party developers write software for your hardware is better than you? Are you invalid or immature?

Jakob Kenda

PostMon Nov 21, 2016 7:55 pm

Njordy Jovanovich wrote:17. Resolve Lite for Linux [ by Martin Schitter ].

Mhm. That would make it perfect, Windows is my least favourite OS.

Alexandre Westphal

PostTue Nov 22, 2016 12:40 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:
Anthony Morrelle wrote:I understand if Linux Lite isn't going to happen but I'd like to add a +1 for a regular Linux Studio version that I can buy for $995, without the panel.

Hi Everyone,

Honestly I don't understand why we could not have a lite and 995$ version of DaVinci Resolve on linux.
Walter, why would it be more a financial problem for Blackmagic to make it run on linux than on OSX or Windows ? You totally can do serial/dongle protected software for linux right ?
Beside, like a lot of people, I'm not particularly attracted by Mac new stuff and I would prefer not to get into Windows hands. A combo of Resolve and Fusion would definitely push me to swith to linux again (I've been a linux user for a long time before...).

Cheers,
Alex
www.embelliefilms.fr

waltervolpatto

PostTue Nov 22, 2016 3:28 pm

because it will kill the sell of the big panel: Linux is very solid and professional, if I can spend 999$, get the tangent panel and have a 8 gpu machine where BM will get the revenue?.

at one point bm had to draw a line in the sand and say: this is my professional market, this is where if you want to play you must buy the panel.

Patrick Taylor

PostTue Nov 22, 2016 6:16 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:
Andrew Shtern wrote:5) Unified controls for all types of Power Windows (Softness/Aspect/Size). So it's not like now, when e.g. Softness works for Circular but not for Poly, or Aspect working for Circular, but not for Poly or Linear...

I think that makes logical sense. I'd like to see Aspect working for all modes.

Couldn't agree more. On my panel it's an extra button press for softness controls on different shapes. All those extra presses add up over a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alexandre Westphal

PostTue Nov 22, 2016 7:01 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:because it will kill the sell of the big panel: Linux is very solid and professional, if I can spend 999$, get the tangent panel and have a 8 gpu machine where BM will get the revenue?.

at one point bm had to draw a line in the sand and say: this is my professional market, this is where if you want to play you must buy the panel.

I think I understand the idea. I'm not particulary experimented in marketing stuff and you probably have more info than me directly from blackmagic. Also I have absolutely no idea of the proportion of linux systems in the total amount of panels that BMD sells for DaVinci....
I might be wrong but as the possibility to run multiple GPU with a tangent device on a 995$ version of DaVinci is already the case for PC (is it not ?), I'm not sure that it would be such a big deal to have the same opportunity on linux.
Again, this is just an impression but I always thought that those who would buy only the studio version and those who would buy the panel are two different kind of customers (like independant colorists vs lab). So it would just offer more choice which wouldn't be bad...

But I don't want to pollute this thread to much.

Thanks
Alex
www.embelliefilms.fr

Ingmar Rieger

PostThu Nov 24, 2016 7:52 am

Here are my two cents: Kill of the mac OS version (I know this will make me friends here ;-) ) and instead offer Linux. mac OS was a the nice "I want to get work done" platform for some time now, but with mac OS getting less and less stable and Apple not offering decent hardware, the platform is dead. And Windows is just horrible for long time unix guys. I use so many nice tools on Linux / mac OS that are missing on windows (or hard to get - like try compiling software on Windows including it required libraries ...).
Greetings
Ingmar Rieger

Alexandre Westphal

PostThu Nov 24, 2016 11:29 am

Ingmar Rieger wrote:Here are my two cents: Kill of the mac OS version (I know this will make me friends here ;-) ) and instead offer Linux.

:D :D :D
If there is one thing I'm pretty sure about, it is that they won't kill the Mac OS version soon !

But I'll give a lot to have an official statement from BMD on the possibility to have a linux version...just to see if there is any hope...
www.embelliefilms.fr

John Simpson

PostFri Nov 25, 2016 3:31 am

waltervolpatto wrote:

Huh? Am I missing something?
Perhaps you haven't been over to the Resolve page lately?

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/suppor ... and-fusion
JJ Simpson
Photographer
Brisbane Australia

waltervolpatto

PostFri Nov 25, 2016 6:31 am

John Simpson wrote:
waltervolpatto wrote:

Huh? Am I missing something?
Perhaps you haven't been over to the Resolve page lately?

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/suppor ... and-fusion

I don't see anything different there. where I'm supposed to look?

dariobigi

PostFri Nov 25, 2016 4:13 pm

MIXED FRAME RATES
Master Project Settings and/or Import AAF/XML Dialog
Please do some research and ADD a Mixed Frame Rate Format for Premiere Pro.
Adobe's Math seems to be calculated incorrectly. 400% becomes 400.6% and other minor variations.
Conforming from an XML from Premiere (Export as Final Cut Pro XML) yields odd in point slipping on shots with speed changes. Those shots don't even need to have speed ramps. A straight speed change can come in incorrectly by a few frames. Once in the timeline, the interpolation does not allow you to slip the shot to the right time code (jumping to many frames forward or back with a click of a single frame slip).

Thank you
Dario Bigi, Colorist
http://dariobigi.com
New York
C: 1-646-436-4600

HPz840 - 2x 14 Core 2.6GHz - 64GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro 21H2
2x RTX 2080Ti (SD 472.84)
Resolve Studio 17.4.6
Decklink 4K Extreme (12.2.2)
FSI CM250
Panasonic FZ1000
Mini Panel

Remo Pini

PostSat Nov 26, 2016 10:18 pm

Add decent round tripping for audio (i.e. sync footage between video and audio in resolve, render proxies for the editor, online resulting edit from editor (prolly avid), then export with the original audio file names for the audio post... that seems to currently NOT work, it wants to rerender the audio making it crapological for any decent dual system audio workflow...

Oh, yeah, and support three screens already (free layout for everything)... your "preset" sucks on my setup :)
Director | Line Producer | https://grayeminence.ch

Patrick Taylor

PostTue Nov 29, 2016 7:10 pm

Please add full support for third party jog and shuttle controls. Not just key mapping, which yields far less than desirable results. In my opinion, Resolve will never be a serious NLE without this functionality.

Patrick Taylor

PostTue Nov 29, 2016 7:17 pm

Would love to see the ability, on the color page, to set temporary in and out points, or at least select in and out clips, and a control for playing from and to those points/clips. So many times I need to play from one clip into the next, and then loop that action. Not possible now.

Alexandre Westphal

PostTue Nov 29, 2016 9:16 pm

Patrick Taylor wrote:Would love to see the ability, on the color page, to set temporary in and out points, or at least select in and out clips, and a control for playing from and to those points/clips. So many times I need to play from one clip into the next, and then loop that action. Not possible now.

I think it is possible already without the panel....but don't remember how....if someone has a clue...
www.embelliefilms.fr

waltervolpatto

PostWed Nov 30, 2016 1:19 am

Alex West wrote:
Patrick Taylor wrote:Would love to see the ability, on the color page, to set temporary in and out points, or at least select in and out clips, and a control for playing from and to those points/clips. So many times I need to play from one clip into the next, and then loop that action. Not possible now.

I think it is possible already without the panel....but don't remember how....if someone has a clue...

with the panel:

be sure that loop is off
do your in/out
turn loop on.

it should work with the keyboard as well.

Alexandre Westphal

PostWed Nov 30, 2016 6:58 am

That works ! Thanks Walter
www.embelliefilms.fr

Thomas Strick

PostWed Nov 30, 2016 10:40 am

* in/out marks on edit timeline should carry over to delivery page's in/out (unless it's an intentional non)
* it's odd that the recalled path changes during the xml export (from file menu)...as you alter the XML flavour.
* if i select a clip in the edit/timeline, because i want to tweak the colour/grade...as i switch rooms, i'd dig it if that very clip was still selected...so i could get right to it.
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)
2,2 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB
UltraStudio MiniMonitor

Paul Sangha

PostWed Nov 30, 2016 2:15 pm

Robert : If you want to deliver in 4K, change the timeline resolution to 4K before you export the material. Otherwise, the 4K footage will first be downsampled to 1080p, then upped to 4K on the way out.

On the deliver page:
John: You can force debayer and sizing to highest quality but not, as far as I know, to highest resolution.

Can you add the option to skip timeline resolution downrezz during export (if a lower working timeline resolution is chosen for speedy work etc) in the deliver page? Seems like an intuitive option to have in a software known for its resolution independence.
| www.Paulharveer.com | Engineer/Photographer |

Patrick Taylor

PostWed Nov 30, 2016 7:21 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:
Alex West wrote:

with the panel:

be sure that loop is off
do your in/out
turn loop on.

it should work with the keyboard as well.

Yup, that works! Thank you! And a note for those who care - while you CAN set in and out points with Loop on, you CANNOT clear them until Loop is off. Also, It's curious that the drop down menu items for these controls are greyed out on the color page.

Lee Niederkofler

PostWed Nov 30, 2016 7:39 pm

An audio offset for the timeline would be great. Having difficulty syncing with 2nd monitor..

Alexandre Westphal

PostWed Nov 30, 2016 9:33 pm

Lee Niederkofler wrote:An audio offset for the timeline would be great. Having difficulty syncing with 2nd monitor..

You mean something different than in the
Pref >capture and playback > playout > offset audio ?
www.embelliefilms.fr
PreviousNext

Return to DaVinci Resolve