Gearing up for the MFT

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Ronald Coltress

Gearing up for the MFT

PostMon Feb 11, 2013 8:24 pm

I was hoping for a little insight from the experts. This will be the first camera i've actually owned,previously i had the luxury of renting or using which ever camera i needed when the shoot happened, that luxury is gone due to my present location. So here goes.
What would we consider bare bones nessecities in gearing up with a MFT body once they finally start shipping. I usually do indie run and gun stuff, fast paced shoots.
I've got 2 "vintage" is the word people like to throw out at me so I have 2 vintage lenses, do you know what adapters would be best.. The first is a 50mm f2 Helios 44-2...the second is a Nikon Nikkor 80-200mm f/4.5 non ai...Any ideas for a third, I feel like I should have one more.
Has anyone ever had experience with either this company or this rig?http://fancierstudio.com/fancierstudio-dslr-rig-with-follow-focus-and-matte-box-by-fancierstudio-fl02m.html
So there you have it a couple of direct questions then a one broad general questions...
Here's hoping we all get our cameras soon.

Sean

Re: Gearing up for the MFT

PostMon Feb 11, 2013 9:57 pm

Reger wrote:I was hoping for a little insight from the experts. This will be the first camera i've actually owned,previously i had the luxury of renting or using which ever camera i needed when the shoot happened, that luxury is gone due to my present location. So here goes.
What would we consider bare bones nessecities in gearing up with a MFT body once they finally start shipping. I usually do indie run and gun stuff, fast paced shoots.
I've got 2 "vintage" is the word people like to throw out at me so I have 2 vintage lenses, do you know what adapters would be best.. The first is a 50mm f2 Helios 44-2...the second is a Nikon Nikkor 80-200mm f/4.5 non ai...Any ideas for a third, I feel like I should have one more.
Has anyone ever had experience with either this company or this rig?http://fancierstudio.com/fancierstudio-dslr-rig-with-follow-focus-and-matte-box-by-fancierstudio-fl02m.html
So there you have it a couple of direct questions then a one broad general questions...
Here's hoping we all get our cameras soon.

Bare bones would be a battery solution if you plan to have your camera powered on for more than 90 minutes.
You'd also need an SSD to record to, but technically other than an SSD and a lens, you're ready to roll.
As far as lenses, your 50mm is going to be more like 120mm compared to S35mm, so you're definitely going to want a wide option. Many people on the EF mount use the 8-16mm Sigma, or the 11-16mm Tokina.
You're going to want something of an equivalent focal length for any wide/mid range shots.
Sean Scannell
Ordered EF mount from B&H on 08/19/12. Received on 04/12/13.

Kholi Hicks

PostMon Feb 11, 2013 10:41 pm

Unless you're shooting all daylight, that glass is probably way too slow for the application.

=[ 1.4's and 2's are your safe bet, and if you can afford them, 0.95's (Voigtlander makes a 17, 24, and now a 42. SLR Magic is going to release a 25 and a 35, and they also make a 50)

Also, SLRMagic makes a great 12/1.6 w/focus Gear and Step up ring.

Rest of the accessories are standard, and make sure you get IR NDs (Tiffen White Waters), likely 77mm so you can step up all of your glass to that.
Kholi Hicks

Steve Lee Jean

PostTue Feb 12, 2013 4:32 am

On the GH2 side, the three standards you should have:

Voigtlander 25mm F0.95
Voigtlander 17.5mm F0.95
SLR Magic Cine 12mm T1.6

You could skip the 17.5mm in favor of a 35mm for closer shots.

Oh and if you're run and gun, battery solution. No question.
Director/Writer
Busan, South Korea + Los Angeles, CA

Ronald Coltress

PostTue Feb 12, 2013 3:32 pm

thanks for the info, any thoughts on the Panasonic 14mm F2.5, a friend has one and says its not bad.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostTue Feb 12, 2013 3:56 pm

Reger wrote:thanks for the info, any thoughts on the Panasonic 14mm F2.5, a friend has one and says its not bad.

Panasonic Lumix MFT lenses all require a camera with an active MFT lens mount (one with electrical contacts) to support lens focus, aperture, zoom, etc. The BMCC-MFT has a passive MFT lens mount (without electrical contacts). So you can't use a electronic Lumix (or similar) lens on a BMCC-MFT, regrets.

The BMCC-MFT by itself supports use of fully-manual (mechanical) lenses.

bhook

PostTue Feb 12, 2013 4:07 pm

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:Panasonic Lumix MFT lenses all require a camera with an active MFT lens mount (one with electrical contacts) to support lens focus, aperture, zoom, etc.

IIRC, not only "active" but "intelligent active" as well. Corrections and adjustments are being made to the Lumix MFT lenses via the active mount and Panasonic hasn't released those particulars and isn't likely to (at least that's what I *think* I remember JB saying several months ago).

renegade

PostMon May 27, 2013 2:03 pm

This question may have been already answered on this forum, but I'll ask anyway...

I've been a still shooter most of my career (Nikon).
I've also done a lot of video, but mostly with ENG cameras.

My question is: Can I adapt my Nikkor lenses to use on a BM Pocket Cinema Camera?
I have a Nikkor 17-55 f2.8 and a Nikkor 80-200 f2.8.
The 17-55 is a digital lens, but the 80-200 isn't.

Thanks.

Vince Gaffney

PostMon May 27, 2013 2:15 pm

Reger wrote:I was hoping for a little insight

Check here for lens FOV comparison to other formats including S35. There's misinformation on crop factors within this forum. http://www.abelcine.com/fov/

muratcangokce

PostMon May 27, 2013 2:39 pm

Sean wrote:As far as lenses, your 50mm is going to be more like 120mm compared to S35mm, so you're definitely going to want a wide option. Many people on the EF mount use the 8-16mm Sigma, or the 11-16mm Tokina.
You're going to want something of an equivalent focal length for any wide/mid range shots.
Hi Sean.. I want to correct a misinformation, a 50mm lens on BMCC or BMPCC will work as apprx. 75mm on s35 cameras (from Arri 35mm negative cameras to Alexa). If you compare it to FF 35mm (which is not belong to cinema, but belong to photography, as such as 5ds.) it will work as an apprx. 120mm on it.

Basically, when you put a 50mm to BMCC it will equivalent to 75mm on Alexa and s35, 120mm on 5d/5dm2/5dm3 and 35mm photograph negatives.

and I want to say it again and again and again, FF is not cinema, It is not belong to cinema. It is photography. Do not insult 16mm sensors with saying wide angle is gonna be a problem at all because all filmmakers use it when they shot on negative and it was not a problem. Tokina 11-16 works as something like 21-36 on s35 which is adequately enough. Do not compare it to ff, because it has no sense to do it, because we are talking about cinema.
www.muratcan.film

Return to Cinematography