4.6K Turret for Original Ursa Owners?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

rick.lang

Re: 4.6K Turret for Original Ursa Owners?

PostSat Dec 17, 2016 4:30 am

Andrew Walldez wrote:... I'm working on being a billionaire, a way to travel faster than light, a guide on how to be friends with benefits, and a cure for male baldness...

Darn it, I'm envious; the only thing I know how to do is travel faster than light! And I'm working on sleep, but haven't quite got the hang of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Rakesh Malik

PostSat Dec 17, 2016 4:37 am

rick.lang wrote:Darn it, I'm envious; the only thing I know how to do is travel faster than light! And I'm working on sleep, but haven't quite got the hang of it.

I'm trying to figure out a way to be in two places at once.

And what is this "sleep" thing you mention? It sounds familiar from somewhere.
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

rick.lang

PostSat Dec 17, 2016 4:41 am

With all the intellect you have, Rakesh, I've complete faith in you that you'll manage to be in two places at once, like any self-respecting electron.

I've done that already: most of me is here in Victoria, but I left my heart in LA.

Rick Lang

Rakesh Malik

PostSat Dec 17, 2016 4:54 am

Thanks for the vote of confidence ;)

I might have to figure it out sooner rather than later; it's possible that I'll be shooting three feature films in the coming year, climbing several of Washington's stratovolcanoes (I want to put Mt. Shuksan and Mt. Stuart on the list even though they're not volcanic, but they're stunning) and taking a trip to SE Asia. Maybe more than one.

At this rate I'll be lucky to have more than six minutes of free time between now and this time next year. :)
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

rick.lang

PostSat Dec 17, 2016 5:00 am

You know the old saying: "If you want something done, you give to the person who is busy." The corollary: "or the person in two places at once." You'll make it so.

Rick Lang

Rakesh Malik

PostSat Dec 17, 2016 5:08 am

At least climbing mountains is good exercise. And it's good for the soul.
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Paul R. Williams

PostSun Dec 18, 2016 9:05 am

Tony Rivera wrote:More information in regards to the 4.6K URSA and turrets will be coming.

+1 Hooray! Thank you Tony. The URSA has also been totally neglected in the last updates - but that's maybe because it's a working great camera (for 4K :-)

Please just keep us up-to-date even if it's just a (weekly?) ticker on progress.
Paul R. Williams
    BMPC4K, URSA EF 4K, URSA Mini Pro 4.6K (EF/PL), BMPCC 6K Pro
    SanDisk SSDs & Lexar CFast & Samsung T5 & T7
    SmallRig rigging elements
    iMacPro (2017) 3.2 GHz Intel Xeon W/32 GB/Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB

Andrew Walldez

PostWed Jan 04, 2017 8:09 am

Well Q4 has come.. and gone. It's the new year and no update in sight for the URSA turret that was promised to us over... was it two years ago? When was the last time they even had an update for it.. who can remember that far back.

Gene Kochanowsky

PostThu Jan 05, 2017 2:44 pm

My guess is that now that the UM4.6K is in stock they may divert some of those sensors for the turret upgrade.

Gavin_c_clark

PostWed Feb 08, 2017 7:05 am

Tony Rivera wrote:I know this is an older quote, but this still holds true. We are working on this.
Kristian Lam wrote:Hi,

The 4.6K URSA Turret is still in progress. While we can't provide a definitive timeframe, rest assured that we're working hard on this. It will happen.

Not been on here for ages, any news Blackmagic?

Denny Smith

PostWed Feb 08, 2017 8:37 pm

No, the quote you show is the latest I know of.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Kyriakos Liarakos

PostWed Feb 08, 2017 9:42 pm

After two years, I think now it's time for blackmagic to start apologizing not only for the delays, but for the silence regarding any deadline

daniloguate

PostWed Feb 08, 2017 9:45 pm

As always, they will never do or say anything, BM's typical bad attitude

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Kyriakos Liarakos

PostWed Feb 08, 2017 10:39 pm

It's really a shame to produce all those great products and can't support and update them in time.
Waiting for the 4.6K sensor I would like to ask about the 6K sensor for URSA and get an answer.
Will be available in this year or next year?
Normaly, that kind of question can get an answer and not sound like a joke or a provoke post.

rick.lang

PostThu Feb 09, 2017 12:00 am

Just this week BMD gave us an email on broadcast and production gear updates and a new product for webcasters. Those are the sort of things that they would normally leave until NAB 2017 given it is two months away. Just my speculation, but there is a chance that there may be more announcements before NAB. Doing these smaller announcements does have the benefit of each product getting more attention than it otherwise might have when BMD announces 38 items at NAB.

So it may be that Marketing has decided to let NAB have fewer products receive more focused attention. Here's hoping your wishes come true in that scenario.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Rakesh Malik

PostThu Feb 09, 2017 12:05 am

rick.lang wrote:
So it may be that Marketing has decided to let NAB have fewer products receive more focused attention. Here's hoping your wishes come true in that scenario.

Let's hope that if BMD announces a new camera at NAB that it really is ready for shipping in July like they always predict. :)
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

rick.lang

PostThu Feb 09, 2017 12:10 am

Amen.

Rick Lang

MartinVidic

PostThu Feb 09, 2017 5:55 pm

As long as it happens im ok. And a 6K announcement coming in 2 years would not be bad either!!!!

Gavin_c_clark

PostFri Feb 10, 2017 9:16 am

I think (although haven't yet decided) that I might cancel my pre order and ask for my £1600 back from my reseller, because I don't have any faith in it actually materialising- and the possibility of it being cancelled for something newer and better is getting greater. But it does seem a bit like standing in line for ages only to have another checkout opened as soon as you've committed to leaving

Thoughts anyone?

Ps to save someone typing - I have firmly learnt the lesson to never pay a penny upfront until something is actually shipping

Jose Mojica

PostFri Feb 10, 2017 1:47 pm

Gavin_c_clark wrote:Ps to save someone typing - I have firmly learnt the lesson to never pay a penny upfront until something is actually shipping

:D "In Stock, Ships Today" are beautiful words.

The silence is just strange. Grant Petty seems like a cool guy. Every time I see him in videos he seems to tell people what's really going on, no BS, and he seems to really love his customers. I know he's sent emails in the past apologizing for delays. Why the silence now? Even if they said, "Hey guys, sorry, we messed up. The old hardware just can't keep up with the new sensor like we thought. Here's a discount on a mini..." I think people would accept it. A word directly from Grant is what's needed here. How about it, Grant?

JasonFinnigan

PostFri Feb 10, 2017 2:01 pm

MartinVidic wrote:As long as it happens im ok. And a 6K announcement coming in 2 years would not be bad either!!!!

They need to fix what they have and their QC issues first.

MartinVidic

PostFri Feb 10, 2017 9:48 pm

Well. if the sensor doesn't go into the original ursa without an upgrade, that would be a REAL problem. Because i took my ursa to south america and flying it back to the US + stay would cost me at least 2000$ extra. Already had to do that once because of an issue with the 5inch displays and the cFast slots.

Patrick Acum

PostSun Feb 12, 2017 9:35 pm

I'd like BM to release a professional camera. I'd pay 10k for a BM camera that worked flawlessly out of the box with the spec they'd promised. Releasing cheap cameras that have a terrible reputation for reliability and quality control, that are quickly replaced, superseded or ignored is never going to help them get taken seriously, which is why, with the exception of JB, you never see anyone shooting fully fledged features, landmark documentary or Netflix/Amazon dramas on them as the A unit. They cater for the indie end of the spectrum or small one man band production companies, who are prepared to ignore or workaround the poor design because they do make nice images for the price but not much else. I think a lot of people would be happy to pay a bit more and have built in ND wheel with IR cut or have the global shutter, have decent xlr inputs and preamps so you can reliably record decent in camera sound, have a proper timecode page in the menu, be able to sync TC in and out etc.
I bought my ursa V1 specifically for the upgrade path - I certainly did not buy it on the back of the performance reported with that sensor in the bmpc4k. I now feel rightfullly pi$$ed off, the turret has always been one of the mainstays of the camera's marketing campaign. If it doesn't happen, after waiting, what is it, 2 or 3 years now, I will want a refund, not a rebate on some other BMD product.
Whatever they do decide, it really needs to work, I don't think their image could suffer another release of something half baked with fpn, magenta corners, cross hatching, orbs, dead pixels, over heating noise, shocking battery performance or any of the other myriad of "quirks" that people report.

Tom Folger

PostSun Feb 12, 2017 10:03 pm

@ Patrick Acum Who did you purchase your Ursa through? I purchased mine from a third party (but BMD certified vendor) Amazon seller in October 2015, also expecting to upgrade by summer 2016. So much for that. I noticed pretty bad CMOS smear right away but decided to sit tight because the new sensor wouldn't have that. Later on I noticed crosshatching. Sent it in in October 2016 as my warranty was about to expire to have both of those things fixed, as it was clear I'd have to "sit tight" with them for much longer than expected. They told me the CMOS smear was normal (even at this high degree) and that they couldn't do anything about the crosshatching. I began getting increasingly pissed off about that ever since as I found myself dodging the CMOS smear more and more while plenty of other people already have their 4.6K minis. So 3 weeks ago I called up Amazon, told them my story. With virtually no resistance from them, they sent me a shipping label and allowed me to return it for $4000 out of the original $5000. If you bought through Amazon, you should give that a try. It would serve BMD right to have a flood of not-so-user-upgradable-after-all Ursas land at their feet -- that is wishful thinkining on my part that they don't just end up back at the reseller. I didn't actually want to cause any harm to the reseller (DVEStore) and am hoping that they are able to return it to BMD.

thomas bruegger

PostMon Feb 13, 2017 9:39 am

Totally agree with Patrick on every aspect.
Thomas Bruegger / garage5 GmbH
www.garage5.ch

Patrick Acum

PostWed Feb 15, 2017 3:59 pm

I bought mine originally through ProAV. I got one of the first Ursas and immediately noticed pretty horrific fpn at 400 iso, even when the scene was evenly illuminated, it was present in any blacks. Over on bmcuser I was really flamed for even daring to suggest fpn. I rma'd it and BM said it was normal. I kept sending it back and eventually, they replaced it with a new body. The new camera was completely different, very clean image, even 800 is mostly useable. My pocket went back because the audio stopped working - which they replaced. My video assist went back after it kept losing vertical hold and was changed - twice.
I work in broadcast and quite frankly the black magic products, even tho love the physical build and the color science, are an embarrassment. I also have a sony f55 and whilst I don't particularly care for that color, it's the camera that gets asked for most at the BBC and by and large it works reliably.
Having said that, I did use my Ursa in -25C yesterday and it worked amazingly well but with the current sensor its almost useless in terms of the very very narrow window it can operate in. The DR is terrible - more like a dslr with about 8 stops rather than the claimed 12, the highlight roll off is a nuclear yellow, there's the persistent worry over fpn and black hole sun and the sound/tc is pretty awful.

Ben Mart

PostSat Feb 25, 2017 9:57 pm

Not sure who was counting the days but has it gone past the 666 days from the intial announcement?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

rick.lang

PostSat Feb 25, 2017 10:31 pm

Yep, and although we marked the occasion with several earthquakes off our coast, we are still here and hopeful the promises of NAB 2015 are achieved by NAB 2017.

Rick Lang

Joshua Dredge

PostSun Feb 26, 2017 7:18 am

Has been recently listed for sale at VideoGuys Australia - they never listed it originally when it was announced.

https://www.videoguys.com.au/Shop/p/354 ... 46kef.html

Lists availability as this week, but no one is believing that, but they do list what's in the box as well as a method for a professional upgrade so there has to have been some communication recently.

Ben Mart

PostSun Feb 26, 2017 11:34 am

rick.lang wrote:Yep, and although we marked the occasion with several earthquakes off our coast, we are still here and hopeful the promises of NAB 2015 are achieved by NAB 2017.

What on? a notch on the camera handle lol
So more like 696 number of the beast then.
BVE is around the corner so going to pester the guys but think they'll keep tight lipped until NAB. As before I'm happy to wait as long as all the issues has been fixed which from the posts on the um4.6k, seems to be the case.

@Joshua - that sounds promising esp the communication between them. Ta.

Ben Mart

PostWed Mar 01, 2017 2:46 am

Went to bve today, great expo, a lot bigger than the old one in Coventry. Their artic trailer stand was cool, nice abit of kit, but all I saw was um4.6k cameras which was initially gutting with no ursa majors out (maybe for a reason:-)They didn't say much but got the vibe something will be announced soon:-) The team were friendly and very helpful.

rick.lang

PostWed Mar 01, 2017 4:49 am

Speculation, but that may mean the URSA Mini 4.6K will still be a currently promoted product after NAB 2017, but the current URSA 4K may be due for a replacement or significant update.

Rick Lang

Gavin_c_clark

PostWed Mar 01, 2017 6:26 am

There's a camera and davinci resolve press conference scheduled for tomorrow in Hamburg so fingers crossed.....but still not going to hold my breath

Jose Mojica

PostWed Mar 01, 2017 12:22 pm

Here's the link to the live stream feed on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/embed/XXAVGEiSA_c

What does that image look like?

Charles Unice

PostWed Mar 01, 2017 3:03 pm

That's a a pic of the um4.6k. Seems to me that the live broadcast is a work flow tutorial and not an announcement. - I'm new to the forum but hav eveen an original Ursa owner from the beginning. Getting frustrated that they are not supporting us full size ursa owners.

Mitch Mommaerts

PostWed Mar 01, 2017 4:46 pm

Downward angle of the Ursa mini pl and the sensor exploding.

Probably announcing dnxhd too.

MartinVidic

PostWed Mar 01, 2017 5:20 pm

Ohhhh. Hopefully good news!

Gavin_c_clark

PostThu Mar 02, 2017 9:11 pm

Hmmm

Still no turret upgrades. But another option. Hmmm

Florian Duning

PostThu Mar 02, 2017 9:15 pm

So instead of the original ursa upgrade you can get the new ursa mini pro 4.6K for a 2500$ discount if you have a proof of purchase for the original ursa. Sounds like a fair deal to me.
Last edited by Florian Duning on Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Mar 02, 2017 9:17 pm

URSA upgrade to URSA Mini Pro is $3495

Ben Mart

PostThu Mar 02, 2017 9:22 pm

Wonder if the ursa turret upgrade has the interchangeable mount that would be sweet, but probably for the next ursa (major) pro camera.

PaulDelVecchio

PostThu Mar 02, 2017 9:25 pm

Tim Schumann wrote:URSA upgrade to URSA Mini Pro is $3495

I'm a little confused. So this is the only option for upgrading? Or are we getting the 4.6k turret too? And is that now shipping?
Paul Del Vecchio - Director/Producer
http://www.pauldv.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pdelvecchio814
http://www.facebook.com/pauldv
http://instagram.com/pdelv
Twitter: @pauldv

Gavin_c_clark

PostThu Mar 02, 2017 9:27 pm

Grant says "with this upgrade you end up with two cameras at the end of it"

I'm confused a little/lot- wishful thinking here- do we get to keep the big ursa as well?

Rakesh Malik

PostThu Mar 02, 2017 9:29 pm

PaulDelVecchio wrote:
Tim Schumann wrote:URSA upgrade to URSA Mini Pro is $3495

I'm a little confused. So this is the only option for upgrading? Or are we getting the 4.6k turret too? And is that now shipping?

From what Grant said in the press conference, it sounded like the turret's still coming, but BMD wanted to make it up to the Ursa purchasers for the delay.

Gavin, yes -- Grant did say that it's essentially a trade-in price, but without requiring that you give up your Ursa to get the discount, just provide proof of purchase.
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

VicHarris

PostThu Mar 02, 2017 9:35 pm

The Turret is not coming. The big URSA is dead in the water. And for what it's worth, Hot Rod Cameras won't refund the deposit I put down on the Turret. Just amazing. I'll never purchase from them again.

Xtreemtec

PostThu Mar 02, 2017 9:35 pm

No the old ursa is done!!

As a good will for not getting the other sensors and mounts out they offer you now to buy a ursa mini pro with discount which does have all those features.. And you still keep the big ursa.. So you end up with 2 camera's. IT is up To you if you sell the big one or not. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Ben Mart

PostThu Mar 02, 2017 10:14 pm

VicHarris wrote:The Turret is not coming. The big URSA is dead in the water. And for what it's worth, Hot Rod Cameras won't refund the deposit I put down on the Turret. Just amazing. I'll never purchase from them again.

Listen to what Grant said we're still getting the 4.6k turret but you can get a big discount on the um 4.6k pro as well. Think that is fair of BMD.

Daniel DarkSide

PostThu Mar 02, 2017 10:18 pm

I kind of feel like I was just kicked in the testicles. TWO flipping years I've been waiting for any official word on the 4.6k sensor and all we get is "we are having trouble" and If you want you can "upgrade" to a lesser camera than the one we are waiting for.... I'm beyond let down.

Iain Philpott

PostThu Mar 02, 2017 10:22 pm

As a URSA v2 owner I think BM have made a very fair offer all things considered. I thought though that Grant said the turrets would be coming later and that this was an upgrade offer alternative. Without replaying it I could of course be wrong. I will take the upgrade offer as I still love my URSA, fantastic in the studio, higher frame rates etc. It shoots a fantastic image and is no less a camera than the mini or mini pro if used for the right thing. This way I get two cameras or if I really want could sell the v2 and end up with the mini pro for the same cost if not less than what a turret upgrade would cost.
I think BM have put on the table a good offer that does compensate for the wait that URSA owners have had.

Guy Fiorita

PostThu Mar 02, 2017 10:23 pm

B&H has no info about the upgrade yet, hopefully they'll get the word to them soon. Personally I think this is a great deal at a very fair price considering I would pay 2k for a turret without interchangeable mounts or ND to put on a camera that's 10lbs heavier. There are definitely days I would have paid someone 1500 to take 10 lbs of weight off that beast.
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography