Lost the project database

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Yani Haigh

Lost the project database

PostSat Apr 22, 2017 1:13 am

I think this is unrecoverable.

I'm trying to sort out an issues mentioned in another thread.

As part of this I uninstalled Resolve, ran IObit then reinstalled. And when I did they I selected the same folder for media storage.

Now the projects are all gone.

All the media files etc still exist in the folder.

Is there any hope to recovering this or should I just move on? It's not the end of the world most of the projects were finished and the current ones were only up to a rough stage.

Marc Wielage

Re: Lost the project database

PostSun Apr 23, 2017 1:07 am

This doesn't look good to me. I would call your nearest Blackmagic Design office on Monday and talk to customer support and see what they say. They may have you email the file, and there's a chance (albeit a small one) they can get it back.

The painful truth is that it's a wise idea to back up the current project you're working on and save it to another drive just in case anything goes wrong. I also think it's a good idea to back up the entire database every so often, like maybe once a week.

In general, editing programs and color programs like Resolve are essentially databases that store different numbers associated with certain kinds of data (frame by frame), along with pointers to where the files are kept. If the database disappears or gets corrupted, the whole thing can fall apart very fast. This isn't just a Resolve problem -- it can happen with anything that depends on this kind of structure.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Igor Riđanović

PostSun Apr 23, 2017 3:15 pm

If you were using Disk Database and the projects are not showing up, they are indeed lost forever.

If you were using PostgreSQL database, the database is likely still there, but disconnected. You can check if the database is there using the psql tool that comes with PostreSQL. You'd say on the command line:

Code: Select all
psql -h ServerIpAddress -U postgres

enter your database password and execute:

Code: Select all
\l+

on the command line. You can see these steps in a tutorial I posted a couple of days ago. It focuses on protecting the Resolve database from external attacks, but it covers your case too.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=NTbucTn9ZzY
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

Yani Haigh

PostMon Apr 24, 2017 10:01 pm

Looks like I'm going to call this dead and work with more save as and more db back ups.

Yani Haigh

PostTue Apr 25, 2017 12:56 am

Now I've lost the DB again attempting to update to 14 beta.

Surely this can be recovered or at least if it is so poorly protected it should be backed up on any program load.

Return to DaVinci Resolve