DaVinci Resolve 14 - Ubuntu Only for NVIDIA Driver Users

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

AndréRodrigues

DaVinci Resolve 14 - Ubuntu Only for NVIDIA Driver Users

PostTue Apr 25, 2017 11:43 pm

OH YEAH! DaVinci 14 on Ubuntu! SWEEEET!

I created a tutorial for those who want try it. It's really easy, just follow the steps. The things after # is not commands, are just the explanation of the command line.

Process:

1- Install this lib:

2- Terminal: sudo apt-get install libssl-dev

3- Terminal: sudo ln -s /usr/lib /usr/lib64

4- Terminal: sudo ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgstreamer-1.0.so.0 /usr/lib/libgstreamer-0.10.so.0

5- Terminal: sudo ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgstbase-1.0.so.0 /usr/lib/libgstbase-0.10.so.0

6- Terminal: sudo ln -s /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libssl.so.1.0.0 /usr/lib/libssl.so.10

7- Terminal: sudo ln -s /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcrypto.so.1.0.0 /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.10

8- Download Resolve 14 from the official website:
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... nciresolve

9- Unzip package and open terminal:

10- su root # and put your password

11- navigate to install folder that you unzip

12- sh DaVinci_Resolve_14.0b1_Linux.sh # run the installation

13- update the nvidia driver, IMPORTANT PATH and if you don't do this, you will get stucked in a black screen every time you try to turn of the X lightdm. Open terminal and execute the following commands:

13.1- Terminal: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && sudo apt-get install build-essential && sudo apt-get install linux-source && sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic

13.2- Terminal: sudo gedit /etc/default/grub

13.3- In the opened archive look for the line:
"GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT..."

13.4- Change this line to:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="nouveau.blacklist=1 quiet splash nomodeset"

*this forces low-level graphics to ensure putty does not give black screen.

13.5- Terminal: sudo update-grub2

13.6- Terminal: sudo apt-get remove nvidia* && sudo apt-get autoremove # ensures no former installation clashes with new install

13.7 Terminal: sudo reboot

14- After reboot download the NVidia Driver:
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

15- After download the right version for your GPU, go to the download folder, click with the right button and go to properties. On the second tab (permissions) mark the checkbox "Allow Executing File as a Program" and close the properties window.

16- Terminal: sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

17.1- In the archive opened add these lines at the end:
blacklist vga16fb
blacklist nouveau
blacklist rivafb
blacklist nvidiafb
blacklist rivatv
blacklist lbm-nouveua
options nouveau modeset=0
alias nouveau off
alias lbm-nouveau off

17.2- Save and close the archive

18- Open a putty-terminal with Ctrl + Alt + F1

18.1- Putty-Terminal: su root # and put your password

18.2- Putty-Terminal: sudo service lightdm stop # stops graphic session to enable nvidiainstallation

18.3- Navigate to the folder where the nvidia driver was downloaded and execute it

18.4- Putty-Terminal: sudo ./NVIDIADriverName.run

18.5- Putty-Terminal: sudo nano /etc/default/grub

18.6- In the opened file, go to the same line as before and change to it:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset"

18.7- Hit F3 to save the file

18.8- Hit F2 to close the file

18.9- Putty-Terminal sudo update-grub2

19- Putty-Terminal: sudo reboot

The driver is installed! Now last steps:

20- Install this lib:
https://packages.debian.org/pt-br/jessie/libpng12-0
(at the end of the page, click on the link of your processor and dowload the .deb. Than use GDebi to install it)

THAT'S IT! You a ready to run the Resolve 14!

IMPORTANT EDIT:

Sadly the audio part is not working yet, they are working on it. U only will have audio if you have a BM DeckLink. If not, you will got no sound. But they are working on a drive for it.

On CentOS 7 it's all working fine as I heard. Gonna test today.

But, as we can see in the images 3 and 4, there's some bug on the COLOR tab. There's no preview. If u change everything and back to edit, u can see the results. But the preview on the color tab is bugged.

It's the beta version so all these bugs are spected. At least we have the program! :D

MY PC SPECS:

MOBO: z270X Aoros Gigabyte Gaming 5
PROC: i7 7700k + Cooler Master Hyper X212
VGA: MSI GTX 1070 8GB DDR5
RAM: 32GB Ram Crucial Elite
STORAGE 1: SSD 480GB Kingston
STORAGE 2: SSD 128GB Samdisk
STORAGE 3: SSHD Seagate 1TB + Cooler HD
STORAGE 4: HD Seagate 2TB
FONTE: EVGA 600W BQ
Last edited by AndréRodrigues on Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:01 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Davinci Resolve Studio 17 - Windows 10 Updated - MOBO: Aorus Master X570 - PROC: Ryzen 9 3900x - GPU: RTX2070 8GB Super - RAM: 128GB 3200Mhz - STORAGE: 3 NVME 3500/3000mbps + HD's and SSD's

AndréRodrigues

Re: DaVinci Resolve 14 - Ubuntu

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 1:58 am

IT's ALIVE!

But, as we can see in the images 3 and 4, there's some bug on the COLOR tab. There's no preview. If u change everything and back to edit, u can see the results. But the preview on the color tab is bugged.

It's the beta version so all these bugs are spected. At least we have the program! :D

1 - https://ibb.co/du6E6Q
2 - https://ibb.co/kXjZ6Q
3 - https://ibb.co/izzsRQ
4 - https://ibb.co/g41iY5
Davinci Resolve Studio 17 - Windows 10 Updated - MOBO: Aorus Master X570 - PROC: Ryzen 9 3900x - GPU: RTX2070 8GB Super - RAM: 128GB 3200Mhz - STORAGE: 3 NVME 3500/3000mbps + HD's and SSD's

Alessandro Fontana

Re: DaVinci Resolve 14 - Ubuntu - IT's ALIVE!

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 9:33 am

For color tab change the 10 bit depth to 8 bit in the project preference.
The big problem is the "missing 3Dlut", on Ubuntu I can't use 3LUT.
Other problem on Ubuntu 17.04 is the Decklink driver that doesn't work with linux kernel 4.10, so not audio also if you have one BM card.

On CentOS 7 all works right, 10 bit too.

Bryan Worsley

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 12:02 pm

I tried it last night on Kubuntu 16.10 (AMD 64). This was a PC that I'd relegated for linux tinkering with fairly mediocre hardware specs - AMD FX6300 processor, NVIDIA GeForce GT730, 8GB RAM - but I had previously run an early version of Resolve 12 (free) on it with Win 7 and it was adequate for HD material.

The installation appeared to proceed OK, as per the instructions. Only departure I noticed was at step:

18.2- Putty-Terminal: sudo service lightdm stop # stops graphic session to enable nvidiainstallation

....where it reported that lightdm was not loaded so there was nothing to stop.

And, a minor point - couldn't get into root with su root, so used sudo -s.

Anyhow Resolve was there and opened OK. Tried a couple of HD-AVC.mp4 clips first - but opening in the the Media Storage directory and Media Pool they showed only audio. Tried Cineform.avi and DNxHD.mov transcodes of the same (created with Resolve 12.5.5 in Windows) - freeze-up. Tried a UHD AVC.mp4 clip - no chance, immediate crash.

Thoughts:

Most likely the hardware specs are inadequate, for Resolve 14 beta at least ? Maybe try an earlier 12.5 version if linux builds are still available for them ?

Distro incompatibility ? Worth trying again with Ubuntu ?

Any suggestions ?

Edit: Oh yes, one other thing. I did follow the installation steps exactly, including downloading the NVIDIA driver (NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-375.39) from the NVIDIA driver webpage and installing it as instructed - instead of re-installing the driver from the Ubuntu 16.10.1 core repository ( 375.39-0ubuntu0.16.10.1). When I first opened Resolve and saw that those HD-AVC.mp4 clips only showed up as audio, I checked the Driver Manager and found that the default "Nouveau display driver from xserver-xorg-video-nouveau" was selected. So I changed it back to "Using NVIDIA binary driver - version 375.39 from nvidia-375 (Recommended Driver)" and it went through the driver installation again. After rebooting it didn't make a difference - same issue with the test clips.

AndréRodrigues

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 1:55 pm

Alessandro Fontana wrote:For color tab change the 10 bit depth to 8 bit in the project preference.
The big problem is the "missing 3Dlut", on Ubuntu I can't use 3LUT.
Other problem on Ubuntu 17.04 is the Decklink driver that doesn't work with linux kernel 4.10, so not audio also if you have one BM card.

On CentOS 7 all works right, 10 bit too.

Thx for the reply. Same here. No Audio.

Gonna test on CentOS 7 soon :D

AndréRodrigues

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 2:07 pm

Bryan Worsley wrote:I tried it last night on Kubuntu 16.10 (AMD 64). This was a PC that I'd relegated for linux tinkering with fairly mediocre hardware specs - AMD FX6300 processor, NVIDIA GeForce GT730, 8GB RAM - but I had previously run an early version of Resolve 12 (free) on it with Win 7 and it was adequate for HD material.

The installation appeared to proceed OK, as per the instructions. Only departure I noticed was at step:

....where it reported that lightdm was not loaded so there was nothing to stop.

And, a minor point - couldn't get into root with su root, so used sudo -s.

Anyhow Resolve was there and opened OK. Tried a couple of HD-AVC.mp4 clips first - but opening in the the Media Storage directory and Media Pool they showed only audio. Tried Cineform.avi and DNxHD.mov transcodes of the same (created with Resolve 12.5.5 in Windows) - freeze-up. Tried a UHD AVC.mp4 clip - no chance, immediate crash.

Thoughts:

Most likely the hardware specs are inadequate, for Resolve 14 beta at least ? Maybe try an earlier 12.5 version if linux builds are still available for them ?

Distro incompatibility ? Worth trying again with Ubuntu ?

Any suggestions ?

Edit: Oh yes, one other thing. I did follow the installation steps exactly, including downloading the NVIDIA driver (NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-375.39) from the NVIDIA driver webpage and installing it as instructed - instead of re-installing the driver from the Ubuntu 16.10.1 core repository ( 375.39-0ubuntu0.16.10.1). When I first opened Resolve and saw that those HD-AVC.mp4 clips only showed up as audio, I checked the Driver Manager and found that the default "Nouveau display driver from xserver-xorg-video-nouveau" was selected. So I changed it back to "Using NVIDIA binary driver - version 375.39 from nvidia-375 (Recommended Driver)" and it went through the driver installation again. After rebooting it didn't make a difference - same issue with the test clips.

The DaVinci Resolve is made only for Red Hat Enterprise / CentOS distro. I'm justing trying make it works on Ubuntu :D

The Lightdm stop is only for those who get the instruction "u need stop the X before install this". If u didn't need it its fine anyway :D

su root, -s and others are the same, depend of the system u have different ways to go root on linux :D

And yes, the bugs are looots, but they will work on it for sure :D

The problem with use the 12.5 version for me its because it is too slow. At least on the windows version, 12.5 was almost impossible to edit, really slow software. The 14 version looks amazing and waaaay faster. But need the improvements until they have the final version for sure.

Today I'm gonna test it on CentOS and let's see how it is :D

Bryan Worsley

Re: DaVinci Resolve 14 - Ubuntu Only for NVIDIA Driver Users

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 2:33 pm

I'll maybe try CentOS also, but anyone know where I can find a 12.5 linux build as I strongly suspect that the hardware is just not up to it for the 14 beta?

Anyhow, no big shakes if this doesn't work out...for me. It's just nice to have a linux option (for most things) should things go wonky with Windows.....and visa-versa of course.

Edit: And now, booting into Kubuntu again, I find that by some miracle those Cineform avi (and mov) transcodes now open in the Resolve 14 beta install. Still freezes with the DNxHD.mov transcodes and audio only with HD-AVC.mp4 clips, but the fact that I've got something to work is encouraging.

AndréRodrigues

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 3:01 pm

Bryan Worsley wrote:I'll maybe try CentOS also, but anyone know where I can find a 12.5 linux build as I strongly suspect that the hardware is just not up to it for the 14 beta?

Anyhow, no big shakes if this doesn't work out...for me. It's just nice to have a linux option (for most things) should things go wonky with Windows.....and visa-versa of course.

Edit: And now, booting into Kubuntu again, I find that by some miracle those Cineform avi (and mov) transcodes now open in the Resolve 14 beta install. Still freezes with the DNxHD.mov transcodes and audio only with HD-AVC.mp4 clips, but the fact that I've got something to work is encouraging.

That's strange. Hope the guys read this here.

I think the 14 version is working fine on CentOS, some people reported everything was fine.

But u can download the 12.5 version on the same website :D

Bryan Worsley

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 3:19 pm

Can't render out to Cineform of course (no GoPro Studio) and rendering to DNxHD again crashes Resolve - wonder why this issue with DNxHD specifically on import and export. But Grass Valley HQ and HQX render OK, and uncompressed 422 10-bit.

AndréRodrigues wrote:But u can download the 12.5 version on the same website :D

You're right ;)

Just one question - how to remove the Resolve 14 beta install without screwing things up ?

BTW:
AndréRodrigues wrote:But, as we can see in the images 3 and 4, there's some bug on the COLOR tab. There's no preview. If u change everything and back to edit, u can see the results. But the preview on the color tab is bugged.

I'm getting preview on the Color page as normal.

AndréRodrigues

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 5:12 pm

Bryan Worsley wrote:Can't render out to Cineform of course (no GoPro Studio) and rendering to DNxHD again crashes Resolve - wonder why this issue with DNxHD specifically on import and export. But Grass Valley HQ and HQX render OK, and uncompressed 422 10-bit.

You're right ;)

Just one question - how to remove the Resolve 14 beta install without screwing things up ?

Didn't tried uninstall yet. Really don't know, But I think u can just uninstall the davinci.

sudo apt-get remove <application_name>

Bryan Worsley wrote:
I'm getting preview on the Color page as normal.

That's strange. Maybe video card bug or something. Definetely we need wait the final version to see how its gonna be.

Bryan Worsley

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 3:31 am

AndréRodrigues wrote:
Bryan Worsley wrote:

Didn't tried uninstall yet. Really don't know, But I think u can just uninstall the davinci.

sudo apt-get remove <application_name>

You might think so and that resolve is the application name, but I've tried every permutation of resolve with and without davinci and always 'Unable to locate package'. And can't see anything listing in an apt-cache or dpkg search.

It's maybe different because it was a .sh install package ? The binary itself is located at /opt/resolve/bin/resolve. Can't see any uninstall script in the folder and an .sh extension file search turns up nothing.

Ian McKenzie

PostSun Apr 30, 2017 1:49 pm

[quote="AndréRodrigues"]OH YEAH! DaVinci 14 on Ubuntu! SWEEEET!

I created a tutorial for those who want try it. It's really easy, just follow the steps. The things after # is not commands, are just the explanation of the command line.

17.1- In the archive opened add these lines at the end:
blacklist vga16fb
blacklist nouveau
blacklist rivafb
blacklist nvidiafb
blacklist rivatv
blacklist lbm-nouveua
options nouveau modeset=0
alias nouveau off
alias lbm-nouveau off

Many thanks Andre, I got resolve 14 beta to run on Ubuntu 16.04 but it sees all my video files from the GH5 ie mp4, mov as audio files so it's not working at the moment. It can handle jpegs so I suppose that's something. ;)
Anyway, there is a spelling mistake in the line "blacklist lbm-nouveua", if that matters.
Hopefully things will be sorted before too long.

Noel Sterrett

PostSat Jan 13, 2018 9:57 pm

Just installed Resolve 14.2 on Ubuntu 16.04. So far, it's better than CentOS 7.

Thanks Andre for the links.

Cheers.
Admit One Pictures
Resolve Studio 18 | Linux Lint 21 | Nvidia 515 | Xeon | iCore | Ryzen

inaki6664

PostSun Mar 25, 2018 5:56 pm

Hello,
I need help. Following the instructions, I have installed Davinci Resolve 14.3 in Ubuntu 17.10 and at the time of starting resolve, when it is loading the modules, it stops. I have also tried with the distribution of CentOs 7 that Blackmagic provides and the same thing happens.
With davinci resolve 12.5 works fine.
The PC is an intel core 2 Quad 2.5Ghz
8 gb ram
nvidia gfx 1050Ti
samsung ssd evo
Can it be a problem with the hardware?
Is it mandatory to have a declink card?

Thank you very much for your help

tatsujb

PostWed Dec 12, 2018 3:05 pm

Hi guys,

new poster here.

trying to switch out of kdenlive because it has the unerving tendency of having un-relative timestamps for edited clips (so it forgets compression or correct positioning of clips especially when you reload project) also it crashes alot.

DaVinci Resolv looks promissing and I've gotta say it blows me away thaat such a pro looking soft be linux-facing too, that's really foward-thinking of the devs, I like that.

I was optimistic so I didn't mind the pdf much (which does the classic of ignoring the existance of "sudo", which makes sense after all, not al distros have it)

I'm using ubuntu 18.10 not ubuntu 18.04.01 because 18.10 (while being temporary fixes enourmous amounts of bugs and shortcomings 18.04.01 has and that I run into daily).

also another btw under ubuntu 18.04 and much more so ubuntu 18.10 (19) the whole nvidia thing is much more streamlined:
all you have to do is add this ppa :
Code: Select all
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers

then you can close that terminal and simply launch "Software and Updates" and under the "Additional Drivers" tab tick the latest version. and after reboot noveau is no longer running and you're on nividia.

this accomplishes exactly the same thing as the whole nvidia guide above but in a much cleaner and safer and faster and easier approach.

so, back to my question : I extracted the DaVinci Resolve 15 .sh with gui and then ran :

Code: Select all
sudo ./DaVinci_Resolve_15.2.1_Linux.sh

which I must say ran beautifully.

not only that but DaVinci Resolve runs out of the box with not the slightest glitch or problem.

my issue arises at the reading of my video files by DaVinci Resolve.

Despite my videos having previews in my file browser and reading fine via vlc or any other player, DaVinci Resolve insists that these files donot posses a video stream. it shows them as a black file and in the detail screen says :
Screenshot from 2018-12-12 16-03-42.png
Screenshot from 2018-12-12 16-03-42.png (28.18 KiB) Viewed 22835 times

how could this be?

I ended up following your guide and after reboot I still have the same result.

what gives?

Sulo Kokki

PostThu Dec 13, 2018 3:15 pm

You want to be using MakeResolveDeb for an Ubuntu install.

The Linux port is very picky with imports. Re-encode to, say ProRes or DNx. I'd import the audio rate with 48kHz.

Here's more on the matter: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=56878
Linux Mint 19.3 | DaVinci Resolve Studio 17.1 | 2700x 32gb Radeon VII | macOS Mojave

Goddard

PostThu Apr 25, 2019 7:24 pm

So 16 on Ubuntu 19.04 doesn't display video in the editor. I can move my video files around, but only the audio track is displayed.

Solaa44

PostSat Jul 17, 2021 1:01 pm

Sorry, I'm a noob when it comes to Ubuntu, can somebody tell me how to open this putty terminal? When I press Crtl + Alt + F1 it just locks my screen / goes to user screen. How can I put in the putty commands?

Return to DaVinci Resolve