Davinci 14 is not ready for public release

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

trevorjharris

Davinci 14 is not ready for public release

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 4:08 pm

Davinci 14 is not ready for public release in my opinion. It crashes when I open davincitest. When I create a new project it runs out of gpu memory and when I try to select a directory in media mode it crashes. Reading other posts it is clear this can only damage Blackmagic's reputation.
HP Z800 Dual Xeon X5660, 48gb ram, 960GB PCIe SSD, 8TB Raid 5, Quadro P4000 graphics. Windows 10 (20H2) Resolve Studio 17 beta 4. Decklink HD Extreme 3D+ Acer GN245HQ 3D monitor.

Uli Plank

Re: Davinci 14 is not ready for public release

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 5:03 pm

Who has ever claimed that a public beta is the same as a release?

It works to some degree for me (on a Mac), but it's far from finished.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Kays Alatrakchi

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 5:12 pm

trevorjharris wrote:Davinci 14 is not ready for public release in my opinion. It crashes when I open davincitest. When I create a new project it runs out of gpu memory and when I try to select a directory in media mode it crashes. Reading other posts it is clear this can only damage Blackmagic's reputation.

A public beta is not a public release. Also, you don't get to start a thread with this aggressive title and complain about Resolve crashing without posting detailed info about your computer and GPU. Many others are running Resolve 14 just fine so maybe the issue is with your machine.
>>Kays Alatrakchi
Filmmaker based in Los Angeles, CA
http://moviesbykays.com

Resolve 18.1.4, Mac OS X 12.6.3 (Monterey), iMac Pro 64Gb RAM, Decklink Mini 4K, LG C9

Mac Book Air M1, Mac OS X 12.6 (Monterey), 16Gb RAM

Suhaib Siddiqi

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 6:09 pm

trevorjharris wrote:Davinci 14 is not ready for public release in my opinion. It crashes when I open davincitest. When I create a new project it runs out of gpu memory and when I try to select a directory in media mode it crashes. Reading other posts it is clear this can only damage Blackmagic's reputation.

First, it is a Public Beta release, not a Public Final Release. There will be more Beta versions, e.g. Beta 2, & Beta 3. Beta Release to public are intended for getting bugs reported by end users under different scenario. How can it damage Blackmagic reputation? All the software are first released as Public Beta for testing purpose. It is a right and responsible thing to do. Using a Beta version as a production suite is a naive thing to do.

I had gpu memory issue, but only with a few of the Boris Continuum and Red Giant Universe plugins. It is not a final product so these kind of bugs are expected. I am sure Blackmagic have not tested out the Beta version with every plugin out in the market.

I had a directory crash issue too. I posted it in another thread. This was due to improper permissions to Resolve. You need to Define a Default disk in the Preferences configure CacheClip and Gallery directories in the Settings, and give a read-write permission to Resolve. This is was the issue in my case.
Last edited by Suhaib Siddiqi on Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cary Knoop

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 6:15 pm

A beta release, in my opinion, should be functionally complete but not ready for full deployment.

I think it is a great thing for Blackmagic to release beta software so that their user base can start to test the new features, report if anything existing is broken and provide feedback on usability.

Hopefully Blackmagic will provide an installer in Beta 2 that allows concurrent access to both the production and the beta version. Obviously people with a single machine cannot help testing if their production version is not available if a beta is installed.

Tom Early

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 7:11 pm

Cary Knoop wrote:A beta release, in my opinion, should be functionally complete but not ready for full deployment.

I think it is a great thing for Blackmagic to release beta software so that their user base can start to test the new features, report if anything existing is broken and provide feedback on usability.

Hopefully Blackmagic will provide an installer in Beta 2 that allows concurrent access to both the production and the beta version. Obviously people with a single machine cannot help testing if their production version is not available if a beta is installed.

People with a single machine can create a new partition. I've got both Mac and Windows versions on my laptop, together with the latest version of 12.5.

You're funny.
Last edited by Tom Early on Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MBP2021 M1 Max 64GB, macOS 14.4, Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.7

Michael Parfit

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 7:13 pm

It's great to have access to a public Beta, but the whole point is that it's buggy. This is not as if they're pretending it's finished when it isn't. How many of us have begged to be Beta testers on other software because we're so curious about what's coming? At times I have grovelled to try to get that opportunity. But most of the time we don't get that lucky.

Here Blackmagic lets us choose, rather than waiting in the dark wondering what's coming up. Here we not only can find out what we're going to have when it's done, we also actually get to help with the process. It's great.

For us Mac users, at least, it costs very little to create a separate USB boot disk (preferably SSD), change the startup disk, boot from it, and install the Beta version there to play with. I'm already using things that work, such as the terrific new stabilizer, but I keep 12.5.5 on the main hard drive for day-to-day work.

Version 12.5.5 is a robust, successful, exciting program that is ready for demanding use. I've been editing on Resolve for over two years now, and it has come a long way. I would have been fine with 12.5 for some time, because it's working for me in almost every facet of what I do, though I still want a better output to Pro Tools. Version 14 will be great, but nobody said it wouldn't have lots of bugs right now.

Cheers,

Mike

Mark Sterne

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 7:26 pm

RE: creating a new partition or boot disk under Mac OS X for the purpose of testing 14b1, there is still the question of whether the updated firmware 1.1 for the Mini panel will work under 12.5.5, which uses firmware 1.0.

Having to revert firmware as some have reported doing, on top of the multiple partition/boot disk gymnastics is a bit more trouble than I am willing to get into with one production machine. I'd love to test but I'll wait until b2 and see if things have settled down.

To the OP, as others have pointed out, it's beta software and labeled as such, so your alarm is misplaced.

Andreas Schwarz

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 4:47 am

...for Da Vinci 15 it would be great, to have the possibilliy to install it parallel to the older vbersion. Then I would love to do Beta testing....

Diego Opat

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 5:38 am

I installed version 14 to test it. It is clearly not ready yet and I would like to go back to 12.5 until 14 is not in beta anymore. I am concerned that If I uninstall 14 I will lose all my projects. Could someone please guide me on how to reverse to a previous version?
Many thanks,
Diego

Arian Wichmann

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 7:46 am

Releasing DaVinci 14 as a Beta is perfectly fine! I love to see where the road goes and to test a bit and help in bug fixing. No developer can test on that many different machines and setups then we, the user, have in usage. So if you want you can consider it a necessary evil for the quality of the product.

Yasser Saeed

PostSat Apr 29, 2017 6:02 am

I am running version 14 Public Beta, and so far it is running smoothly with no major issues ;)
HP Z2 Mini Workstation
Display: HP Z27 QHD DreamColor
CPU: i9-10900K @3.70GHz 10 Core
GPU: Radeon Pro WX3200
eGPU: Core X RTX 3090
RAM: 64GB
NVMe SSD: OS 2TB, Data 4TB
NLE: DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6

Charles Bennett

PostSat Apr 29, 2017 10:21 am

Diego, I have un-installed 12.5 and installed 14, then gone back to 12.5 and back to 14. All my projects are intact with no problems. This is on a Win10 PC. With a Mac I do not know.
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (546.01 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

John Avenoso

PostSat Apr 29, 2017 2:49 pm

It seem to be running fine for me with AMD R9 290x video card, Win 10 and I7-6800 CPU. I've created a few new project, opened old projects and tried a few renders.
Windows 10 Pro 10.017763 Build 17763
i7-6800K w/Corsair H80i V2 Water Cooler
Nvidia EVGA RTX 2070
Ram 32.0 GB
BMPCC DJI Pocket 2
Davinci Resolve Studio 18

Mack Palomäki

PostSat Apr 29, 2017 3:38 pm

I love betas. I installed 14 and had major issues for a while even when I reverted back to 12.5, but it is beta so we have to beware. I can see where this is going and BMD deserve all possible support from us users to get there.

Just look at what BMD have done. Incorporating Fairlight is nearly too good to be true at a price that I can afford...

Go BMD!
Mack Palomäki

Resolve 14b9 Studio
Win 10 Pro ver 1607 Build 14393.1408
M/B : Supermicro X9DAi
2 x Intel Xeon E5-2630v2, 6-Core
8 x 4GB DDR3L ECC REG 1600MHz SR
2 x Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 3GB (driver 384.76)
DeckLink Mini Monitor (10.9)

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostSun Apr 30, 2017 6:19 pm

DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

PaulSulsky

PostMon May 01, 2017 3:57 am

I can't get either version of 14 to work. Both die on the splash screen. I successfully rolled back to version 12.5. If you want people to test a beta version, the beta should should have an option to load as an additional application and not overwrite the production version. That way, we can test it before we install a new version over the old one.

Robert A. Ober

PostTue May 02, 2017 11:28 pm

Hey Folks,

When at Microsoft I supported the Windows 95 Technical Beta and at Compaq I tested per-released notebook computers so I get it better than most people.

However I am surprised at:

*Automation of clip audio effects is no longer supported
*Audio clip mixer is no longer supported
*Support for AU plugins is not currently available

I hope that is temporary. I suspect this is due to the Fairlight code.

Y'all have some fun,
Robert

Return to DaVinci Resolve