Write permissions issues with cache, gallery, and capture.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

David Wolf

Write permissions issues with cache, gallery, and capture.

PostSat Apr 22, 2017 12:53 am

New install of 12.5 Studio on OS X 10.12.4

Subject says it all.

I've tried reinstalling. I've tried changing permissions of drive to write/write/write (as a test). I've tried rebuilding the database. I've made a new database.

I can't get this problem fixed, and it's making it so that I can't use stills in my workflow.

Any guidance?

Screen Shot 2017-04-21 at 5.31.04 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-04-21 at 5.31.04 PM.jpg (61.22 KiB) Viewed 39617 times
Screen Shot 2017-04-21 at 5.31.13 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-04-21 at 5.31.13 PM.jpg (61.44 KiB) Viewed 39617 times
Screen Shot 2017-04-21 at 5.31.18 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-04-21 at 5.31.18 PM.jpg (63.13 KiB) Viewed 39617 times

tylermoore

Re: Write permissions issues with cache, gallery, and captur

PostThu May 04, 2017 10:42 pm

I'm having the same problem. Has anyone found a solution.

Tyler Moore

Igor Riđanović

PostSat May 06, 2017 12:51 am

Open Project Settings and look at the bottom of General Options. The file location paths must point to the storage that your OS user is allowed to write to.

If the path is correct but you can't write to it you have to add w permission for your user on the OS level.
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

Jamie LeJeune

PostSat May 06, 2017 5:52 am

Igor Riđanović wrote:Open Project Settings and look at the bottom of General Options. The file location paths must point to the storage that your OS user is allowed to write to.

If the path is correct but you can't write to it you have to add w permission for your user on the OS level.

That's the right solution. You can point it to any drive on your system. There are actually three places to switch in preferences. See the attached screenshots.

This error message will always show up if you export a project from one computer where the caches were pointed at local storage and import that project into Resolve on a different computer. It will also show up if you disconnect from the drive that the caches are set to write to.

Screen Shot 2017-05-05 at 10.47.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-05 at 10.47.18 PM.png (171.73 KiB) Viewed 39566 times

Screen Shot 2017-05-05 at 10.47.27 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-05 at 10.47.27 PM.png (155.73 KiB) Viewed 39566 times
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

Anders Christensen

PostMon May 08, 2017 12:11 pm

Hey thanks for this very nice program. I'm at Beta user but have the exact same proplem!

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post!

I'm on Windows 10 user. I got the same write permission proplem. I can change the "save clips to /capture" but the two other (Cache files and gallery stills) change back every time i try to change it.

I hope someone have the answer for this.

Robert James

PostTue May 09, 2017 1:44 pm

Anders Christensen wrote:Hey thanks for this very nice program. I'm at Beta user but have the exact same proplem!

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post!

I'm on Windows 10 user. I got the same write permission proplem. I can change the "save clips to /capture" but the two other (Cache files and gallery stills) change back every time i try to change it.

I hope someone have the answer for this.

Just built up a new system and experiencing the same issue. The logged on windows user has administrative permissions.
Resolve Studio 14.1
Windows 10 Fall Creator Update
ROG CROSSHAIR VI HERO MB
AMD 1800x 4Ghz 32GB RAM
M.2 System Drive, M.2 Media Drive (All other drives SSDs)
ASUS ROG-STRIX-RX580-O8G VC

Claude Vidal

PostWed May 10, 2017 1:49 am

Jamie LeJeune wrote:
Igor Riđanović wrote:Open Project Settings and look at the bottom of General Options. The file location paths must point to the storage that your OS user is allowed to write to.

That's the right solution. You can point it to any drive on your system. There are actually three places to switch in preferences. See the attached screenshots.

This error message will always show up if you export a project from one computer where the caches were pointed at local storage and import that project into Resolve on a different computer. It will also show up if you disconnect from the drive that the caches are set to write to.

Trying to change directory/file for "cacheClip" and ".gallery" requires a save which triggers The 'no permission' again.

Why setup a convoluted folder is beyond me:
c:[0x0B]ol0\\.gallery

Claude Vidal

PostSun May 14, 2017 5:06 am

Claude Vidal wrote:
Jamie LeJeune wrote:

Trying to change directory/file for "cacheClip" and ".gallery" requires a save which triggers The 'no permission' again.

Why setup a convoluted folder is beyond me:
c:[0x0B]ol0\\.gallery

I see a lot of activity on this site and probably a lot of good information, but I'm stuck at the 'intro'. Could someone from BlackMagic please explain what the issue is with this obstacle (write permission) or, worst, convince me to move on elsewhere?

Anders Christensen

PostFri May 26, 2017 8:15 am

THIS WORKED FOR ME.

Maybe I found a solution on this. Can someone else please confirm!

I Removed the old media storage location and added a new on another hard drive.

DaVinci Resolve -> Preferences -> Media Storage.

After doing this i could change the cache and gallery file. The program works perfekt again after this.

Claude Vidal

PostFri May 26, 2017 6:18 pm

Anders Christensen wrote:THIS WORKED FOR ME.

After doing this i could change the cache and gallery file. The program works perfekt again after this.

I did this as well. Creating a new Media Storage and removing the default one c:[0x0B]ol0 in effect moves the "cacheClip" and ".gallery" folders as subs of the newly created Media Storage folder, as evidenced when checking the settings in the "project settings/general preferences".

BUT, when I close Resolve and re-open my project, it STILL complains about permissions against that convoluted folder "c:[0x0B]ol0...". What are the consequences of this situation? Can I still work on my project and be certain it will survive several editing sessions?

I'm obviously not the only one with this issue. So why do we not see some comment from the forum moderator or support team on this?

Trevor Young

PostMon May 29, 2017 1:21 pm

Anders Christensen wrote:THIS WORKED FOR ME.

Relinking through preferences>media storage worked for me too. I removed the destination file path from the top of the list and re-added it again (exact same location). I also had to remove the default /Volumes/Mackintosh HD and re-add it to make sure it wasn't at the top of the list. I then closed DaVinci and reopened it (not sure if that makes any difference, just telling you exactly what I did :-) ). After that DaVinci loaded in all my clips without complaint.

I first had the permissions issue when I updated to MacOS Sierra 10.12.5

iMac mid 2011
2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

houldsworth1

PostSat Oct 06, 2018 2:30 pm

I had this today and finally realized it was because I had turned on the ransomware protection in my anti-virus and, in doing so, had blocked DR from writing to those drives.

I turned that feature off and everything worked again.

Boris Dessimond

PostWed Oct 31, 2018 8:59 pm

Hello.
I got this problem on the last resolve's version.
There was no way for me to change cache clips's path ; resolve couldn't write to "old" pathh even tho I was trying to change the path.
I downloaded/reinstaller/deleted all resolve folder many times but couldn't manage to get it back to default.

Then I tried the fix : basically plugging back the drive.
Then only I could change the folder path...

Ocelot1111

PostWed Nov 14, 2018 3:25 pm

Hello - I fixed this with just creating folders and redirecting each permission issue alert index to that. I placed it in Movies folder on my Mac. No warnings after I rebooted.

Revolver

PostMon May 20, 2019 5:21 pm

I had an issue with writing from DR16 straight to an external drive. Turns out, the drive formatting was NTFS and I was making the attempt on a Mac. I'm presently reformatting to FAT32 and will report back if I have any issues after the formatting is complete.

Benerman

PostWed Jun 05, 2019 10:59 pm

I had this issue when creating a new project. I had placed the Cache and Gallery file locations on another drive that I now have uninstalled.

I finally fixed it by setting the Cache, Gallery, and Capture to my preferred location in Project Settings(Shift + 9). I then went to "Presets" and right clicked on the preset named "Current Project" and choose "Save As User Default Config".

This fixed it for me! Hope it helps!

neilpho

PostWed Nov 13, 2019 4:41 pm

This seems like a bug. I just tried 16.1.1 on a newly installed system. Resolve complained it did not have write permission on the .gallery folder, which it created itself.

cryptobiohacker

PostSat Feb 01, 2020 12:15 am

I've tried all the above, and I am still receiving this error. Man. I was just beginning to evaluate Davinic and begin the tutoriasl to study this program, and it becomes and instant headache. That's just too bad. If anyone has found a way that works, because this happens on ALL my drives. I'm all ears.

jamesisvideo

PostTue Aug 18, 2020 4:19 pm

I had this issue
Windows 10 machine, multiple external drives, beta 16.2.4
I was able to fix the bug where it automatically reverted to the old cache destination when I noticed that the Drive Letter (in my case F:) wasn't the one it was attempting to connect with (E:). In disk management I changed the drive letter of my external drive back to E and restarted Resolve. No error.
Now that there was no error, it also allowed me to change the destination to a whole new drive with a dedicated Cache folder I created (in my ignorance I had allowed a session folder to become the cache for all my projects - the client for that video was very confused as was I when we saw the size of the project folder lol)

Maybe unplugging your drive caused it's drive letter to change like mine did?

Nathan Shirley

PostSun Sep 13, 2020 9:02 pm

This seems to be completely random for me. I can open a project and sometimes there is no issue, then I open it later the same day and I get this permission message. Sometimes it comes up once and goes away and all is fine, other times it comes up over and over again. Last time I had the 2nd problem I deleted all content in the cache folder, then everything worked again for quite a while, but eventually the issue came back. There is definitely something very buggy happening with this.

(Win 10, admin, cache folder on OS drive)

Nathan Shirley

PostSun Sep 13, 2020 9:13 pm

After experimenting more, it seems that at least in my case, "read only" keeps getting reset in the folder properties... could Resolve be doing this, or is this some strange Windows issue?

meran_smailly

PostThu Sep 24, 2020 10:23 am

This guy's reply helped me.

Benerman wrote:
I had this issue when creating a new project. I had placed the Cache and Gallery file locations on another drive that I now have uninstalled.

I finally fixed it by setting the Cache, Gallery, and Capture to my preferred location in Project Settings(Shift + 9). I then went to "Presets" and right clicked on the preset named "Current Project" and choose "Save As User Default Config"

JFOLIVR

PostFri Sep 25, 2020 7:10 pm

I had the same issue today and in my case I found the solution. Maybe it works for other people so I´ll post it here.

On Windows 10 there is an option in the Windows Security that blocks every change made by softwares and I turned on yesterday for an additional protection and that was the cause of the problem. Just turn it off and it will be working again.

CJB123

PostMon Apr 12, 2021 12:46 pm

I've had issues that seem similar to this in 17.1 studio, but only in the App Store version. I have configured several DVR workstations, and the App Store version is the only one that consistently bugs out.

The problem only manifests when I try to insert a nested timeline into a main timeline. This results in a message asking me to "grant access to folder?" When I select the folder location for the source videos, I receive an error that I am "Unable to access file." If I insert the source media directly, there is no problem. Also, my hundreds of nested timeline clips that I previously inserted in this manner behave perfectly. I am only prevented from inserting new nested timeline clips, apparently due to a filer permissions glitch.

Please help, BMD. This makes your App Store software unusable to me for an ongoing project. I shouldn't have to switch to the dongle version on my MBP just to use the program. I paid for multiple licenses because I want to use them on multiple computers.
C.J. Brownfield

TimeBandit

PostThu May 13, 2021 5:06 pm

Yup... me too. Windows version has no issues. Bought a new MacBook Air M1, installed DR 17 from the App Store, and I have exactly the same issue as bellow.

HELP!! I bought the Mac for a better DR experience, and straight away my dream is ruined.

CJB123 wrote:I've had issues that seem similar to this in 17.1 studio, but only in the App Store version. I have configured several DVR workstations, and the App Store version is the only one that consistently bugs out.

The problem only manifests when I try to insert a nested timeline into a main timeline. This results in a message asking me to "grant access to folder?" When I select the folder location for the source videos, I receive an error that I am "Unable to access file." If I insert the source media directly, there is no problem. Also, my hundreds of nested timeline clips that I previously inserted in this manner behave perfectly. I am only prevented from inserting new nested timeline clips, apparently due to a filer permissions glitch.

Please help, BMD. This makes your App Store software unusable to me for an ongoing project. I shouldn't have to switch to the dongle version on my MBP just to use the program. I paid for multiple licenses because I want to use them on multiple computers.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri May 14, 2021 6:02 am

On the App Store systems, have u selected to allow access to the media storage volumes in preferences/system/media storage?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Uli Plank

PostFri May 14, 2021 7:39 am

Why, oh why is anybody going for that crippled App Store version when you can have the full version for the same price?
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

michhes

PostFri Jun 11, 2021 2:26 am

Ran up against this issue the other day. In my case, the drive I was trying to render to had run out of space.

May not solve all issues but hopefully helps someone along the way!

Return to DaVinci Resolve