Metadata Import/Export & XMP

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Constantin Gross

Metadata Import/Export & XMP

PostSun May 07, 2017 4:38 pm

Hello,

we are starting a feature length documentary and are currently logging the entire footage.
Since Resolve 14 is still beta we are having a look at it and thinking about using it for the entire production.
But coming from Premiere, we still want to be able to transition between the two programs.
However, so far my attempts at moving metadata (keywords, comments and description ) between Premiere Pro and Davinci were unsuccessfull. XML export doesn`t carry the metadata and .csv files from Davinci are not readeable in Premiere and vice versa.
Is there any way to make Resolve read the XMP Metadata of a file that was modified in Premiere?
Or is there a possibility to make Premiere import the metadata from a .csv file that was created by Resolve 14?
Or any other workarounds to exchange customized metadata entries between the two programs?

thanks

Igor Riđanović

Re: Metadata Import/Export & XMP

PostTue May 09, 2017 1:26 am

I haven't needed to maintain XMP metadata from Premiere to Resolve, but I don't recall ever seeing any mention of XMP in the documentation.

There is a way though. With some effort it would be possible to read XMP metadata and write it directly to the Resolve database.

But which specific tags are you interested in carrying across? There may be a less hackish way to achieve it.
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

Constantin Gross

PostTue May 09, 2017 5:27 pm

Thanks for the reply.
I want to keep Keywords, Description and Comments in order to sort it later and search the Mediapool with Keywords.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Igor Riđanović

PostWed May 10, 2017 1:41 am

I did some testing using a ProRes HQ Quicktime clip.

There are two parts to the problem. Part one is exporting the metadata from Premiere. Part two is importing into Resolve.

The tags you're interested in are not saved into FCP XML. The Premiere project file on the other hand saves only the Description from the Dublin Core schema.

The metadata is embedded into my test Prores Quicktime. Some files do not allow embedding and the XMP metadata is saved in a sidecar file. This is actually a better scenario for you, but you have no choice over it. It's either embedded or in a sidecar file depending on the type of your source media.

I tried extracting the metadata using exiftool. It should have worked but it failed due to the size of my seven minute long clip.

I'm not aware of an explicit way of exporting the metadata from Premiere. Perhaps Adobe Bridge may have a way of force generating XMP sidecar files.

I'm not familiar with any other metadata extraction tools aside exiftool.

If your media forces Premiere to create XMP sidecar files or if you can find a way to force the creation we could discuss part two of the problem.
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

lukeigel

PostFri Nov 25, 2022 5:36 am

I'd love to hear your thoughts on how to import just XML/XMP sidecar files into Resolve properly!

Igor Riđanović wrote:
If your media forces Premiere to create XMP sidecar files or if you can find a way to force the creation we could discuss part two of the problem.

Return to DaVinci Resolve