DaVinci Resolve on Linux - Install issues

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Gorm Oppermann

Re: DaVinci Resolve on Linux - Install issues

PostMon Apr 24, 2017 8:20 am

Noel Sterrett wrote:The Resolve Win/Mac/Linux comparison on the BMD website indicates that EasyDCP is not available on Linux. But the EasyDCP site claims: "Only the easyDCP Plugin for Blackmagic Design DaVinci Resolve is available on Linux."

Anyone know which is correct?

Cheers.

we are using the easyDCP Plugin so the plugin is working on linux however we had to start resolve with sudo to register it.

alfonsoler

PostMon Apr 24, 2017 7:19 pm

Trying to install under Ubuntu Gnome 17.04:

Extracting files...
resolve: proceso no encontrado
Copying Resolve files...
Copying scripts...
Copying docs...
Copying Onboarding package...
Copying UI resources...
Copying libraries...
Creating shortcuts...
bmdpaneld: proceso no encontrado
Resolve System Updated

I can't find any information on that bmdpaneld. Any help?

alfonsoler

PostMon Apr 24, 2017 7:24 pm

For Resolve 12.5, after trying with 14, this:

Extracting files...
resolve: proceso no encontrado
Copying Resolve files...
Copying scripts...
Copying docs...
Copying Onboarding package...
Copying UI resources...
Copying libraries...
Creating shortcuts...
Resolve System Updated

al..:~$ sudo resolve
sudo: resolve: orden no encontrada
al..:~$ resolve
resolve: no se encontró la orden

But it works from the Gnome Shell (not 14)
Last edited by alfonsoler on Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shanemario

PostMon Apr 24, 2017 7:25 pm

Hi all,

I recently tried to upgrade my 12.5.4.015 Linux (Centos 6.6) install (main machine) to 12.5.5. Upon finishing the install and rebooting, the DaVinci Resolve panel will not work. It allows the keyboard and mouse to work but that’s it. There are no buttons, or knobs or color wheel control, nor do they show any text on the panels. Installed 12.5.4.007 and panels came back up and are operational.

Thinking Resolve 14 might have fixed the issue, I installed Resolve 14 beta just now. Rebooted machine. Started Resolve and my advanced panels are still missing.

Any ideas why this isn't working?
---
Shane Mario Ruggieri, CSI
Sr. Production Eng • Colorist • Author
Dolby Labs

Centos v7.3
2x 16-Core Xeon E5-2697A V4
64GB RAM
4x M6000 24GB
Resolve St 16.1.2
Dolby Vision

MacOS 10.14.6
MacBook Pro 15 2017
3.1 GHz I7
16 GB RAM
Resolve St 16.1.2

Gorm Oppermann

PostTue Apr 25, 2017 8:45 am

Shanemario wrote:Hi all,

I recently tried to upgrade my 12.5.4.015 Linux (Centos 6.6) install (main machine) to 12.5.5. Upon finishing the install and rebooting, the DaVinci Resolve panel will not work. It allows the keyboard and mouse to work but that’s it. There are no buttons, or knobs or color wheel control, nor do they show any text on the panels. Installed 12.5.4.007 and panels came back up and are operational.

Thinking Resolve 14 might have fixed the issue, I installed Resolve 14 beta just now. Rebooted machine. Started Resolve and my advanced panels are still missing.

Any ideas why this isn't working?

We some times have problems with our resolve panel. The solution for us is to disconect usb to main panel wait for skyes on all panels reconect usb start resolve once as sudo

open terminal
sudo /opt/resolve/bin/resolve (once it did download some firmware) anyway look for output in terminal
quit resolve and start resolve normaly.

hope it helps

Will Tejeda

PostTue Apr 25, 2017 2:31 pm

Will there be an Ubuntu compatible version at any point ?
Will Tejeda
DP/Cinematographer

Noel Sterrett

PostTue Apr 25, 2017 2:49 pm

Resolve 14 is crashy on my dual Xeon machine in both Linux and Windows, but is quite stable on a Lenovo Y500 running Linux CentOS 7.3.

However, Resolve 14 does not recognize any .mov files on Linux which 12.5 does.

Cheers.
Admit One Pictures
Resolve Studio 18 | Linux Lint 21 | Nvidia 515 | Xeon | iCore | Ryzen

Johnny Farmfield

PostTue Apr 25, 2017 3:37 pm

For everyone in this thread - why are you even bothering with this software unless you have a BMD Decklink card?

Wow, this is a first serious low point from Blackmagic Design. A video editor is of course completely USELESS without audio output. Why would you even release it? Oh, but I can buy my way out of it with a Decklink card? No I can't. I run dual GPU's and a PCIe video cache card, I couldn't fit a Decklink card in my workstation even if I wanted to, so I will NEVER be able to get audio in DaVinci Resolve...
Last edited by Johnny Farmfield on Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*** Pushing pixels, vectors and voxels since 25 years - www.farmfield-vfx.com ***

Gorm Oppermann

PostTue Apr 25, 2017 7:16 pm

anyone else having problems with audio on the new resolve 14 studio beta1 ?
everything works fine on 12.5.5
we use a decklink card with Blackmagic_Desktop_Video_Linux_10.9a7 driver and
NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-381.09 driver for gpu's
blackmagic centos 7.3 iso upgraded to kernel 3.10.0-514.16.1.el7.x86_64

it seams like a bug and feels like constant audio buffer underrun after a little playback time left audio channel stops working. When left audio has stopped working playback is fine but audio is only on 1 channel also sometimes resolve audio engine just crashes and there is no sound on the master output

in fairlight mode audio is ok.

alfonsoler

PostTue Apr 25, 2017 7:59 pm

Will Tejeda wrote:Will there be an Ubuntu compatible version at any point ?

The 12.5.5 works without problems under Ubuntu 16.10 and 17.04. At least for me...

AndréRodrigues

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 4:52 am

I made it works on Ubuntu 17.04. But has lots of bugs.

1 - Audio don't work. I can see the audio waveform, when I play the sound bars jump normally but no audio output.

2 - Video playback has somebugs and in Color Tab there's no video preview.

On this topic I created a tutorial how-to-install on Ubuntu:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=58668
Davinci Resolve Studio 17 - Windows 10 Updated - MOBO: Aorus Master X570 - PROC: Ryzen 9 3900x - GPU: RTX2070 8GB Super - RAM: 128GB 3200Mhz - STORAGE: 3 NVME 3500/3000mbps + HD's and SSD's

Marc Gasser

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 12:10 pm

Upgraded to Resolve 14.0b1

Was really looking forward since they told that Audio is super important in the "new workflow".

But still no Audio output on Linux workstations :-(
Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, AMD Threadripper 2990WX 32-Core, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080Ti 11GB, 64 GB Ram.
https://www.pocketvj.com
https://www.magdesign.ch

Kuntal Majumder

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 4:26 pm

Johnny Farmfield wrote:For everyone in this thread - why are you even bothering with this software unless you have a BMD Decklink card?

Wow, this is a first serious low point from Blackmagic Design. A video editor is of course completely USELESS without audio output. Why would you even release it? Oh, but I can buy my way out of it with a Decklink card? No I can't. I run dual GPU's and a PCIe video cache card, I couldn't fit a Decklink card in my workstation even if I wanted to, so I will NEVER be able to get audio in DaVinci Resolve...

Chill ,they are working on it, this problem is probably because of multiple sound servers and frameworks in Linux. Hope they will solve it before the v14 stable release.

Johnny Farmfield

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 4:53 pm

Kuntal Majumder wrote:Chill ,they are working on it, this problem is probably because of multiple sound servers and frameworks in Linux. Hope they will solve it before the v14 stable release.

1. I already edited out the initial rage - and if I expressed openly what I really felt about this, I suspect I'd be banned from this forum.

2. No they are not. Not unless you heard something us others haven't.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=56878&start=100#p327346

So there's nothing to be chill about, this sucks big time.
*** Pushing pixels, vectors and voxels since 25 years - www.farmfield-vfx.com ***

Onur Çakır

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 9:13 pm

I would love to see DaVinci Resolve work on Deepin Linux. Please do that.

AndréRodrigues

Re: DaVinci Resolve Lite for Linux request

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 2:16 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Hello all.

Please keep us updated on the Debian testing. While we tested a few we focused on CentOS and RHEL 7.3 and so more feedback on other distributions is helpful.

Peter, I'm trying to help and I already did two tutorials to help people reach DaVinci install in Ubuntu 17.04 AND in CentOS 7. I'm updating everything I can about each one.

But I got this question: The audio will be ONLY for the DeckLink in Linux version? No Audio through Audio System? Never? Even in the final version of Resolve 14?
Davinci Resolve Studio 17 - Windows 10 Updated - MOBO: Aorus Master X570 - PROC: Ryzen 9 3900x - GPU: RTX2070 8GB Super - RAM: 128GB 3200Mhz - STORAGE: 3 NVME 3500/3000mbps + HD's and SSD's

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 3:57 am

We are looking into it however as we have previously only supported audio in Linux with the Decklink we don't have a defined schedule for release.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

chrisrandall

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 6:26 am

Hello Peter, Jack, jackaudio.org/faq/ would appear a very good way to go, cross platform if need be, used by commercial software too like Bitwig Studio, looks like the audio output busses / channels would need exposing in Resolve and all the audio drivers, device support and routing handled by Jack, would appear minor work and support required by Black Magic.

But as an owner of a mini monitor and understanding the importance of it for clean video signal bypassing graphics card output and OS colour management buying one was worth it anyway.

Thank you for free Resolve on Linux and price drop on Studio.

AndréRodrigues

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 12:56 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:We are looking into it however as we have previously only supported audio in Linux with the Decklink we don't have a defined schedule for release.

Thx for the response man, this save me time to find a way which doesn't exist.

Hope u guys can do it, I'll buy the software for sure. Looks really good on CentOS7 now, so probably the end version will be amazing.

Bryan Worsley

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 1:51 pm

I installed DaVinci_Resolve_14.0b1_Linux on Kubuntu 16.10 using the method AndréRodrigues posted:

https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=58668

I'd like to try Resolve 12.5.5 instead. I think I probably need to uninstall 14.0b1 first (i.e can't just overwrite ?), but can't figure how to do so. My attempts thus far:

Bryan Worsley wrote:
AndréRodrigues wrote:
Bryan Worsley wrote:
Just one question - how to remove the Resolve 14 beta install without screwing things up ?

Didn't tried uninstall yet. Really don't know, But I think u can just uninstall the davinci.

sudo apt-get remove <application_name>

You might think so and that resolve is the application name, but I've tried every permutation of resolve with and without davinci and always 'Unable to locate package'. And can't see anything listing in an apt-cache or dpkg search.

It's maybe different because it was a .sh install package ? The binary itself is located at /opt/resolve/bin/resolve. Can't see any uninstall script in the folder and an .sh extension file search turns up nothing.

Anyone know how to do it ?

Kuntal Majumder

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 2:05 pm

Bryan Worsley wrote:I installed DaVinci_Resolve_14.0b1_Linux on Kubuntu 16.10 using the method AndréRodrigues posted:

https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=58668

I'd like to try Resolve 12.5.5 instead. I think I probably need to uninstall 14.0b1 first (i.e can't just overwrite ?), but can't figure how to do so. My attempts thus far:

Bryan Worsley wrote:
AndréRodrigues wrote:
Didn't tried uninstall yet. Really don't know, But I think u can just uninstall the davinci.

sudo apt-get remove <application_name>

You might think so and that resolve is the application name, but I've tried every permutation of resolve with and without davinci and always 'Unable to locate package'. And can't see anything listing in an apt-cache or dpkg search.

It's maybe different because it was a .sh install package ? The binary itself is located at /opt/resolve/bin/resolve. Can't see any uninstall script in the folder and an .sh extension file search turns up nothing.

Anyone know how to do it ?

Delete the folder and remove the .desktop file, probably.

Przemek Jeske

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 9:48 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:We are looking into it however as we have previously only supported audio in Linux with the Decklink we don't have a defined schedule for release.

sound is definitely a dealbreaker on this one - without sound I can hardly use it. Also as mentioned I don't really need a decklink card - usb shuttle maybe, but monitor definitely not.
Maybe SDL would make things easier to deploy audio on your end? You wouldn't have to worry much about audio servers on linux.

Bryan Worsley

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 11:40 pm

Kuntal Majumder wrote:
Bryan Worsley wrote:Delete the folder and remove the .desktop file, probably.

Thanks. Yes, I thought it might boil down to that, but was a bit hesitant about trying it.

Jan Zegklitz

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 6:23 am

Przemek Jeske wrote:

sound is definitely a dealbreaker on this one - without sound I can hardly use it. Also as mentioned I don't really need a decklink card - usb shuttle maybe, but monitor definitely not.
Maybe SDL would make things easier to deploy audio on your end? You wouldn't have to worry much about audio servers on linux.

Or maybe go for JACK, as that is what most pro sound tools (e.g. ardour) tend to use. It's also very controllable.

Noel Sterrett

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 11:41 am

You can rename the Resolve directory, install a different version (mv /opt/resolve /opt/resolve14), and then switch between various installs by renaming the one you want to /opt/resolve.

I strongly advise using different disk databases for different versions.

Cheers.
Admit One Pictures
Resolve Studio 18 | Linux Lint 21 | Nvidia 515 | Xeon | iCore | Ryzen

Bryan Worsley

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 8:07 pm

Thanks Noel, I'll bear that in mind. Having now tested both 14 b1 and 12.5.5 (free versions) on Kubuntu though, I couldn't see myself using either. Not just the lack of audio. What import and export formats are available would make it quite unusable for my purposes, at least as a dedicated linux option.

Przemek Jeske

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 9:23 pm

Jan Zegklitz wrote:
Or maybe go for JACK, as that is what most pro sound tools (e.g. ardour) tend to use. It's also very controllable.

SDL can work with JACK - it can channel audio through JACK, Pulseaudio or Alsa. That's why I thought it may ease the things on BMD end (but not sure - I'm not an app dev).
As for JACK itself - as Resolve is not a music app and I hardly can imagine connecting instrument to it I don't think it is a must have as personally I don't think I'd get a real benefit from this ultra low latency that I can get with JACK. Especially considering extra hassle when run on system with pulseaudio (which means most of the systems). For me it would be a welcome option , but not a dealbreaker.

Krzysztof Kurek

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 10:33 pm

I've just ran into an issue.
Installation on Linux Mint 18.1 fails because the installer tries to decompress some files to /usr/lib64. /usr/lib64 isn't used in Linux Mint, as well as on Ubuntu, and /usr/lib is used instead.

Richard B Emerson

PostSat Apr 29, 2017 3:03 am

Krzysztof Kurek wrote:I've just ran into an issue.
Installation on Linux Mint 18.1 fails because the installer tries to decompress some files to /usr/lib64. /usr/lib64 isn't used in Linux Mint, as well as on Ubuntu, and /usr/lib is used instead.
Same here with Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. Based on earlier comments about audio out, it appears that currently there's no point in pursuing Resolve under Linux. Too bad.

Krzysztof Kurek

PostSat Apr 29, 2017 1:04 pm

Small steps, I'd say.
New issue: After following steps in the viewtopic.php?f=21&t=58668 topic.
Ubuntu 17.04,
Code: Select all
error while loading shared libraries: libpng12.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

This library should be statically linked, or included with the program. I have currently no workaround for this issue other than downloading and compiling old version of the lib.

Krzysztof Kurek

PostSat Apr 29, 2017 2:11 pm

Well in pursuit to make the program work at all I compiled an old version of libpng and installed it to /usr/lib. The program however responds to me after a bit of waiting with following console output:
Main thread starts: C7658040
log4cxx: No appender could be found for logger (Undefined).
log4cxx: Please initialize the log4cxx system properly.

Now I'm pretty sure I'm stuck.

Krzysztof Kurek

PostSun Apr 30, 2017 10:48 pm

It turns out I just had to launch the application with elevated privileges.
But the whole program turned out to be entirely unusable. No audio output, can't import video.

Stuart Jackson

PostMon May 01, 2017 1:56 am

I've managed to install Resolve on a Debian distribution and all the dependent libraries. But when I go to start Resolve (either 12.5.5 or 14.0b1) I get this error:

resolve: AppConfig.cpp:147: void AppConfig::LoadAllSiteInfo(): Assertion `m_SiteEnabledIdx > 0' failed.

Is there supposed to be a default configuration, or should I be prompted to create one? The manual shows a GUI for configuration, but not how to access it.

chrisrandall

PostMon May 01, 2017 6:45 am

Loving R14 on Linux MATE 17.04. Needed to add the trusty-security to my repositories to get liibpng12 rather than using a Deb, works great no crashes so far, sound through a mini monitor, importing Magiclantern raw which I use 90% time and simple transcoding of mpeg2 & h264 compressed files to Prores HQ via ffmpeg. No "deal breakers". New stabilizer seems really good improvement, now silky smooth on steadily shot handheld with minimal warping. So not all doom and gloom.

RBEmerson

PostMon May 01, 2017 4:42 pm

Can you expand on trusty-security? What else did you do? Any thoughts on how this might work under 16.04 LTS?

(FWIW, tried 17.04 but it was unstable on at least my machine. Had to do a fresh install to go back to LTS. it sounds as though it's reasonably solid for you.)

chrisrandall

PostTue May 02, 2017 6:24 pm

I searched for Ubuntu based distros providing libpng12 and found trusty and precise. I use synaptic for package management so I added "deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu trusty-security main" to the repositories list in Synaptic, reloaded the package list, searched within Synaptic for libpng12 and installed it. Resolve 14 beta then worked having already done the symbolic links as described earlier in the thread.

I'd assume it would work just as well on 16.04 LTS. However I'm not saying it's the best or right way to do it, but I prefer to use a synaptic or similar to maintain the distro, rather than install from debs and compile libraries from source which could possibly set up a chain of unresolved dependencies over time and issues with compatibility.

Yes, 17.04 has been rock solid for me so far.

Richard B Emerson

PostWed May 03, 2017 1:35 am

Great thanks for the road map. I'll report back on how the installation works out.
After stumbling over the truth, he continued on as if nothing had happened.

Richard B Emerson

PostWed May 03, 2017 4:54 am

chrisrandall wrote:I searched for Ubuntu based distros providing libpng12 and found trusty and precise. I use synaptic for package management so I added "deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu trusty-security main" to the repositories list in Synaptic, reloaded the package list, searched within Synaptic for libpng12 and installed it. Resolve 14 beta then worked having already done the symbolic links as described earlier in the thread.
[/...]
OK, I added Synaptic. When I put in trusty-security, it showed up as being a security source repository. That seems a little odd. Is that what you got?
After stumbling over the truth, he continued on as if nothing had happened.

chrisrandall

PostWed May 03, 2017 5:46 am

Be sure to put the full line "deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu trusty-security main"

It should list "Important Security Updates" ticked and below it the corresponding (Source) unticked in your Repositories list.

Marc Gasser

PostThu May 04, 2017 9:18 am

Finally I bought a Decklink Mini Monitor 4k to use DaVinci with audio support on
Ubuntu 16.04 LTS Kernel 4.4.0-77-generic

But, the card is not showing up in DaVinci and I am also not able to open MediaExpress, I get error: Blackmagic hardware could not be found in your system.

Since there where no linux drivers on the delivered sd card, I downloaded and installed them:
Blackmagic_Desktop_Video_Linux_10.9.tar

If I do:
lsmod | grep blackmagic
nothing shows up.
same with:
dkms status -m desktopvideo -k `uname -r`

By booting into OSX the card shows up and works, so its not a HW issue.

I hope someone can tell me how to correctly install the card, I only bouht it to use DaVinci on Linux....
Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, AMD Threadripper 2990WX 32-Core, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080Ti 11GB, 64 GB Ram.

chrisrandall

PostFri May 05, 2017 12:10 pm

Are you using kernel 4.4.0.77-generic, I'm using 4.4.0.75-generic on Linux MATE 17.10 and all works fine for me. "uname -or" in a terminal will tell you if you're unsure which kernel.

If you're running on an older kernel, maybe 3.2 then on a reboot when the grub boot page comes up, try clicking the 'advanced' option and manually pick the 4.4 kernel.

If you don't have a 4.4 then try installing it via your package manager, I use synaptic. Reboot and choose advanced again to pick 4.4

Then try installing the deb driver by the command line and see if it fails to install along with error message.

If still fails try reinstalling the 4.4 kernel from your package manager and go again.

Nelson Villamil

PostFri May 05, 2017 10:41 pm

CentOS 7 + Blackmagic Driver 10.9 FAIL

Hi

Now exploring Resolve 14 BETA running with Linux.

BUT, I have problems with the installation of the Decklink driver (desktop Video 10.9)

Download and install the CentOS 7 version, directly from the official website. WORKS well. No problem
- Installl RESOLVE 14 BETA version

Download and install Nvidia drivers (some details, fixed and installed well)

BUT with the Desktop Video 10.9 installation package.

- Install Media Express. OK works

Install Control Panel OK, Works

FINALLY, I running the syntax to install the drivers .... It seems to work.

BUT when I open Media express, it does not open, because it does not detect the hardware, same error opening Blackmagic Control panel, Not detect hardware, Resolve, when checking the options I / O does not detect the Blackmagic card.

What is the correct syntax or instructions (step by step) for installing the driver in CentOS ???

Thanks

Marc Gasser

PostSat May 06, 2017 12:49 am

@chrisrandall:thanks for reporting that this is not a Kernel issue. After reverting Kernels and messing with Grub i finally realised that the problem is a wrong Nvidia driver (one from the opensource repo).
I spent hours trying to remove unsupported drivers and finally took the pain reinstalling the whole system.
Now it works!

@Nelson Villamil: after you installed the driver packages, look out for the blackmagic firmware update utility, execute it and then your card will work (except you have the same Nvidia driver issue as I had, only use the generic Nvidia driver!)

Trzil Bernhard

PostMon May 08, 2017 12:43 pm

Tried Resolve 14 on Ubuntu 16.04, AMD 4*4Ghz, Nvidia 1070, Declink Minimonitor. Testfiles are prores LQ 250MBit.
Video and Audio Playback is alltimes jerky, like on a lowend PC. Resolve 12.5 is working flawless with same setup....
Any ideas?

Marc Gasser

PostMon May 08, 2017 7:43 pm

To be honest.
Productive working with DaVinci Resolve 12.5.5 on Ubuntu Linux is totally impossible.... :cry:
After buying a Decklink 4k (for audio support) I thought now it would be possible to be productive (as I was on Premiere CS6).
But its only nerve killing:

- window not moveable (known bug)
- no h264 export with audio possible
- no mp3 audio support
- regulary crashes and freezes

Sticking to Lightworks, which runs much smoother..... feeling sad.

Resolve 14 is even worse...

Michael Ditto

PostTue May 09, 2017 11:52 pm

Just installed on Arch Linux with kernel version '4.10.13-1-ARCH'.

It launches fine but if i try to view any media from any media locations, the program will freeze then crash. It also crashes if I navigate away from the media pane and back into it.

It prints this to STDOUT when it crashes. https://hastebin.com/ahewetovig.txt
Kernel: 4.13.7-1-ARCH
WM: GNOME Shell
CPU: AMD FX-6300 Six-Core @ 3.5GHz
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB

Kuntal Majumder

PostWed May 10, 2017 5:12 am

Michael Ditto wrote:Just installed on Arch Linux with kernel version '4.10.13-1-ARCH'.

It launches fine but if i try to view any media from any media locations, the program will freeze then crash. It also crashes if I navigate away from the media pane and back into it.

Specifications of the machine and the desktop environment in which you are working on?

Most of the time it is due to lack of ram, that is, if you are trying to import media, it will freeze for sometime while waiting for the machine to free some memory.

Michael Ditto

PostWed May 10, 2017 6:56 am

Kuntal Majumder wrote:
Michael Ditto wrote:Just installed on Arch Linux with kernel version '4.10.13-1-ARCH'.

Specifications of the machine and the desktop environment in which you are working on?

Most of the time it is due to lack of ram, that is, if you are trying to import media, it will freeze for sometime while waiting for the machine to free some memory.

I'm running Arch Linux 64-bit with BSPWM on an older 6 core AMD processor with 16gb of memory and an RX 480 8gb. I don't think memory is an issue because I have plenty and usage never goes above 65%.

And also I should have been more clear. I can't even view any media whatsoever. If I click on a media location, the program crashes while loading the list of folder contents and thumbnails. I can't even get to the point where I could import media. If I drag media from a file manager, then the program freezes while loading the thumbnail (even for a tiny PNG) and then crashes.
Kernel: 4.13.7-1-ARCH
WM: GNOME Shell
CPU: AMD FX-6300 Six-Core @ 3.5GHz
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB

norbert_1975

PostWed May 10, 2017 7:55 am

hi!

i have installed public beta 14 on centOs, external raid and external devices are showing up in file manager outside resolve but NOT in resolve. not on the media page, not in the /preference/media storage menu...

ideas ?

thanks norbert

David Franzo

PostThu May 11, 2017 2:15 pm

Nelson Villamil wrote:CentOS 7 + Blackmagic Driver 10.9 FAIL

Hi

Now exploring Resolve 14 BETA running with Linux.

BUT, I have problems with the installation of the Decklink driver (desktop Video 10.9)

BUT when I open Media express, it does not open, because it does not detect the hardware, same error opening Blackmagic Control panel, Not detect hardware, Resolve, when checking the options I / O does not detect the Blackmagic card.

Having this same issue. I used the Centos 7.3 + Resolve 12.5.5 install disc from Blackmagic, then updated to Resolve 14 and Desktop Video 10.9

It asked to update the firmware for the Decklink so I allowed it, and after restart it still does not show up as an interface. Not in Desktop Video Utility, and not in Resolve preferences.

The same system running on Centos 6.8 with Desktop Video 10.9 works fine though. So it must be something to do with Centos 7.
PreviousNext

Return to DaVinci Resolve