Resolve 14 - Startup Crash

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Paul David Schneider

Resolve 14 - Startup Crash

PostTue May 30, 2017 8:51 pm

I have a 2013 Mac Pro (tube) that runs Resolve 12.5.5 flawlessly.

I have been unable to run Resolve 14 (beta). It crashes on the startup screen every time and this issue has continued with each beta iteration.

Running macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Thoughts?

-Paul

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Resolve 14 - Startup Crash

PostTue May 30, 2017 10:23 pm

Logs?

Open Finder, goto /Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve and double click CaptureLogs.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Paul David Schneider

PostTue May 30, 2017 10:42 pm

Done. I assume I should upload this .tgz file?

Akpe Ododoru

PostWed May 31, 2017 12:42 am

Akpe Ododoru
Cinematographer
London
www.akpe.co.uk

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed May 31, 2017 1:49 am

Paul, please provide a link to the file.
Dwaine Maggart

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed May 31, 2017 1:58 am

@Akpe:

While your suggestion is a potential solution for SOME v14 startup issues, it's not going to work for everyone. But it won't hurt to try your suggestion of creating a new empty database in v12 and making that the default.

Also note that while it's always a GREAT idea to make project export drp's with stills and LUTs for important projects, you should also be able to import projects directly from the original local database into the new empty database, once you have launched v14. But probably one or more of the projects will have an issue of some sort, which is what's preventing the original database from allowing v14 to launch in the first place.

Finally, we don't suggest having multiple versions of Resolve installed at the same time. This can lead to library file conflicts which can cause issues in one of the installed versions. The last version installed will have the correct files, and the other version(s) may have issues.
Dwaine Maggart

Akpe Ododoru

PostWed May 31, 2017 10:27 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:@Akpe:

While your suggestion is a potential solution for SOME v14 startup issues, it's not going to work for everyone. But it won't hurt to try your suggestion of creating a new empty database in v12 and making that the default.

Also note that while it's always a GREAT idea to make project export drp's with stills and LUTs for important projects, you should also be able to import projects directly from the original local database into the new empty database, once you have launched v14. But probably one or more of the projects will have an issue of some sort, which is what's preventing the original database from allowing v14 to launch in the first place.

Finally, we don't suggest having multiple versions of Resolve installed at the same time. This can lead to library file conflicts which can cause issues in one of the installed versions. The last version installed will have the correct files, and the other version(s) may have issues.

Thanks for the tip on letting me know not to hav both versions installed (i just deleted one)

As for being able to import projects directly from the original local database into the new empty database with v14, it won't work. V14 crashes as soon as it come close to the local database
Akpe Ododoru
Cinematographer
London
www.akpe.co.uk

Return to DaVinci Resolve