Possible dust removal tool bug?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Omri Peled

Possible dust removal tool bug?

PostTue Feb 14, 2017 4:49 pm

After manually cleaning up a short film shot on 16mm neg by using the dust removal tool
today mid shift all of my dustbusting fixes are suddenly gone.

weird thing I noticed is while manually using the dust removal tool every time resolve autosaved, my ROI was still stuck on the screen but it turned in to a red bounding box.
a reboot seems solve the red boxes
after the last reboot all of my scratch removals were gone !

Its a Mac Pro (late2013) running Resolve 12.5.4 and a dual setup of AMD firePro D700

a bit confused about what to do next..
help ..
Thnx
Omri

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Possible dust removal tool bug?

PostWed Feb 15, 2017 1:58 am

Resolve replaces the original DPX frames with the corrected frames.

So it's hard to see how those could all go away, unless something put the source media back the way it was before you did the dust removal.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Omri Peled

PostWed Feb 15, 2017 8:31 am

Hey
It happens mid shift after a restart .nobdy touched the media files -we tried rolling back to an older project but the scratches were gone from there as well.

The manual says something about a hidden sub directory storing the files...still clueless :?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Feb 16, 2017 12:20 am

Make a dirt/dust fix. Step a couple of frames away from the corrected frame. Then step back to the corrected frame. Is the dirt/dust fix still there?
Dwaine Maggart

nickfranco

PostTue Jun 13, 2017 6:32 pm

The dust removal tool seems to work fine on my system, however, the undo function does not.
where can I find the directory to remove the file manualy?

alexoreman

PostTue Jun 13, 2017 10:57 pm

There should be a hidden folder at the root of your primary storage volume called .ResolveBackups or close to that.

That is where Resolve will write the backup frame before producing the replacement fixed frame.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jun 14, 2017 12:17 am

Alex is basically correct.

The backup location that the original frames are saved to is in a hidden folder called .resolve_backups and this folder will be placed in the root path of the volume that the DPX source files reside on.

It seems unlikely that Undo would fail, because it won't do the fix unless it can make a backup of the original frame first.

You do need to be on the exact frame the fix was done on, for Undo to work.
Dwaine Maggart

David Franzo

PostFri Feb 23, 2018 6:55 pm

I'm having the same issue, and there is a very severe miswording in the manual explaining this tool.

First of all, the operations cannot be undone using the undo command. I have tried it on the frame I've worked on, tried going to other frames and coming back to it. It's still there and cannot be reversed.

Secondly, the manual says "This is a raster-based effect, and results in a duplicate set of “dustbusted” media being created within a hidden subdirectory." That is false because the dustbusted media is overwriting the original files! I am working off shared storage with the intention of rendering out a separate folder of dustbusted media, but now the source files have been replaced with no backup. So the only way to undo after making a single mistake is to delete the dpx transcodes have them reencoded from the camera raw again.

Luckily I was doing this in a test environment so the job was not affected but this is a critical data-destructive bug.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Feb 23, 2018 8:27 pm

You undo dirt/dust fixes with the Edit menu selection "Revival Undo" or the keyboard shortcut shown there.

Indeed the original frame is copied to a hidden backup location. The dirt/dust operation won't succeed and the original frame won't be replaced unless the original file can be backed up first.

When you do Revival Undo, the original source frame is copied back to the original location.
Dwaine Maggart

David Franzo

PostFri Feb 23, 2018 9:05 pm

Thank you Dwaine, I've found the Revival undo works, but reverts the entire frame instead of the last adjustment. It would be nice to be able to step through undo/redo iterations and then commit them to the file when you are satisfied. Also, when reverting to the original dpx file, the date modified is changed from the original. Is this an issue with our server filesystem or is Resolve creating a "new" file with the contents of the original, hence changing the date modified?

Also, where is the hidden directory with the original frames? I could not find it on the first listed storage device even after showing hidden files. I ask this just in case Resolve were to crash after an unsatisfying operation before I had a chance to undo.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Feb 24, 2018 6:31 pm

A .resolve_backups folder is created in the root path of the storage volume of the dirt fixed frame.

In that .resolve_backups folder, the original path of the fixed frame will be recreated with the frame at the end.

So if you fixed c:\users\fred\testproject\002002002.dpx, then the original file would be copied to:

c:\.resolve_backups\users\fred\testproject\002002002.dpx

To do a Revival Undo, you must be sitting on the frame you dirt fixed. When you do the Undo, then:

c:\.resolve_backups\users\fred\testproject\002002002.dpx gets copied back to:

c:\users\fred\testproject\002002002.dpx

If you fix frames on multiple storage volumes, a .resolve_backups folder will be created on each volume.

Note that currently dirt fix only works with 10 bit DPX frames.
Dwaine Maggart

Return to DaVinci Resolve