Uninstall Postgres

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

David Franzo

Uninstall Postgres

PostWed Jul 29, 2015 4:07 am

How do I uninstall Postgres? I only use the disk database and I'd rather not have an unnecessary process running. I see that this will finally be excluded from installs on Mac now.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Uninstall Postgres

PostWed Jul 29, 2015 4:30 am

Manual Postgres Uninstallation:

a) Stop the server

sudo /sbin/SystemStarter stop postgresql-8.4

b) Remove menu shortcuts:

sudo rm -rf /Applications/PostgreSQL 8.4 (see below!)

Because there is a space between PostgreSQL and 8.4, you need to do something special: Type everything up to the S in PostgreS, then press the Tab key. That will fill in the rest of the line with PostgreSQL\ 8.4/, then press the <RETURN> key.

c) Remove the ini file

sudo rm -rf /etc/postgres-reg.ini

d) Removing Startup Items

sudo rm -rf /Library/StartupItems/postgresql-8.4

e) Remove the data and installed files

sudo rm -rf /Library/PostgreSQL/8.4

f) Delete the user postgres

sudo dscl . delete /users/postgres

8. PostgreSQL should now be removed from your system. There will be an empty PostgreSQL folder in the /Library path. In Finder you can right click the PostgreSQL folder and select Move to Trash to remove it.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

David Franzo

PostWed Jul 29, 2015 6:41 am

Thanks!

Scott Gilbertson

PostWed Jul 29, 2015 2:24 pm

In case anybody reading this thread is thinking of doing the same thing, I'll point out that at least on Windows, Skype uses PostgreSQL (9.2 at the moment), so uninstalling PostgreSQL can be expected to break Skype. Maybe it's the same on Mac OS and/or Linux.

Most other packages that use PostgreSQL install their own copy, in their own program directory (so it's obvious in Task Manager which program is using which postgres.exe), but as far as I can tell Skype just installs PostgreSQL as a separate application.
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Xeon W3680, 48GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050

Yann Schmidt

PostMon Aug 03, 2015 3:44 pm

Hello

I wanted to stop/delete postgresql but on Yosemite, "/sbin/SystemStarter" is not available anymore.
What can i do to stop the server ?

Thanks.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Aug 04, 2015 9:27 pm

It seems like the process I provided is not the same in Mavericks/Yosemite.

If you have PostgreSQL really running, in your Applications folder is a PostgreSQL 8.4 folder.

In that folder is a Stop Server icon. That will stop PostgreSQL.

Then if you want to remove it, just trash the /Applications/PostgreSQL 8.4 folder and the /Library/PostgreSQL folder.

Make sure nothing else on your system is using PostgreSQL before removing it.
Dwaine Maggart

Jay Rey

PostTue Aug 04, 2015 10:49 pm

you likely also want to remove the following plist file:

sudo -s
cd /Library/LaunchDaemons
rm com.edb.launchd.postgresql-8.4.plist

Yann Schmidt

PostMon Aug 10, 2015 10:38 am

Thanks both of you.

I didn't delete it but i successfully removed the server as Startup Item so it is all good now.
I can launch my default postgres server (9.4 version) to work on a project !

Patrick Kennedy

PostSun Jan 08, 2017 12:34 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:It seems like the process I provided is not the same in Mavericks/Yosemite. If you have PostgreSQL really running, in your Applications folder is a PostgreSQL 8.4 folder. In that folder is a Stop Server icon. That will stop PostgreSQL. Then if you want to remove it, just trash the /Applications/PostgreSQL 8.4 folder and the /Library/PostgreSQL folder. Make sure nothing else on your system is using PostgreSQL before removing it.

Hi Dwaine,
Thank you so much for your thorough reply. I am trying to uninstall PostgreSQL and pgAdmin3 using MacOSX Sierra (10.12.2) after using the Resolve 12.5.4 installer. With this installer, I have PostgreSQL 9.5. I've run the uninstaller, and still have a bunch of PostgreSQL processes running associated with files in /Library/PostgreSQL/9.5/

a) There's no /sbin/SystemStarter/ directory in Sierra... Also, there does not appear to be any "Stop Server" icon or files anywhere. As there's no /Applications/PostgreSQL, I also looked in the /Library/PostgreSQL/9.5/ directory or sub-dirs. Would quitting the postgres processes through the Activity Monitor.app suffice? Note: the Activity Monitor needs to be set to show "All Processes" to display postgres tasks and launching it with sudo might be required:
Code: Select all
sudo "/Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor.app/Contents/MacOS/Activity Monitor"

b) there is no /Applications/PostgreSQL... Perhaps the uninstaller did remove this?

c) no .ini file in /etc/

d) nothing at all in /Library/StartupItems/

e) happy to "sudo rm -rf /Library/PostgreSQL/9.5 but figure I should stop the server first?

f) there's no /users/postgres (or /Users/postgres)

Also, per Jay Ray's post, there is a LaunchDaemon:
/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.edb.launchd.postgresql-9.5.plist

Happy to remove the .../9.5/ directory but I am unsure of how to wipe away all the components from Sierra that came with the Resolve 12.5.4. Sure would be nice if the uninstaller took care of this. Any ideas on how to proceed with removing PostgreSQL and pgAdmin3 on Sierra? Thanks :)
https://www.linkedin.com/in/patrick-kennedy-a5277991

Patrick Kennedy

PostTue Jan 10, 2017 7:45 am

Deleting /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.edb.launchd.postgresql-9.5.pl‌​ist and restarting the computer effectively ended all the postgres processes and I was able to remove all the postgreSQL and pgAdmin3 components which were installed with the DaVinci Resolve 12.5.4 installer and not removed with the Resolve uninstaller:

/Library/Postgres/...
/Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/...
/Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve/Prereqs/config_postgres.sh
/Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve/Prereqs/install_postgres.sh
/Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve/Prereqs/postgresql.zip
/Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve/Prereqs/upgrade_postgres.sh
/private/var/db/dslocal/nodes/Default/groups/_postgres.plist <--- not positive this was installed by Resolve
/private/var/db/dslocal/nodes/Default/users/_postgres.plist <--- not positive this was installed by Resolve
/private/var/db/dslocal/nodes/Default/users/postgres.plist <--- not positive this was installed by Resolve
/usr/local/var/postgres
/usr/local/var/postgres/postgresql.auto.conf
/usr/local/var/postgres/postgresql.conf

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jan 12, 2017 6:53 pm

Patrick, the Resolve 12.5.4 installer would not install PostgreSQL 9.5 unless you explicitly selected it in the Installer Installation Type step and selected Customize and ticked the PostgreSQL box.

It is not uninstalled by the Resolve uninstaller.

It is annoying that there is no Start and Stop server options in the Applications/PostgreSQL 9.5, as there were in 8.4.

Why did you want to remove it?
Dwaine Maggart

Patrick Kennedy

PostThu Jan 12, 2017 9:34 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Why did you want to remove it?

Unrelated to work with Resolve I am working on a Ruby on Rails project and not knowing much about db admin it was gumming up the works for moving fwd with the Rails project. I removed it, got the Rails project viable, and am planning on reinstalling Resolve - now I'll know a little better what to look for with the install.

Thanks Dwaine!

guscorreia

PostWed Jun 28, 2017 2:10 pm

Hello!

I am having problems with the PostgreSQL database.
Therefore, I would like to uninstall completely, including cleaning up existing databases, so that I can reinstall DaVinci and be able to have PostgreSQL starting from scratch.
Can anyone help me in this process.

In short: At the moment I have PostgreSQL 9.5 installed, but I want to completely uninstall to install again.

thanksss

Patrick Kennedy

PostWed Jun 28, 2017 5:16 pm

guscorreia wrote:I am having problems with the PostgreSQL database.
Therefore, I would like to uninstall completely, including cleaning up existing databases, so that I can reinstall DaVinci and be able to have PostgreSQL starting from scratch.

What kind of problems?

Are you certain that nothing else on your system is using PostgreSQL? If so, see the above posts for the places to look for files to manually remove. On macOS I found
sudo find / -name "postgres"
to be useful, as well as launching the Activity Monitor as "root":

sudo "/Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor.app/Contents/MacOS/Activity Monitor"

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jun 29, 2017 5:50 pm

@guscorreia: Mac or Windows?
Dwaine Maggart

guscorreia

PostSat Jul 01, 2017 4:48 pm

Patrick Kennedy
I do Backup everything I had on DaVinci and then I installed the DaVinci 14 beta. I used it a little. I really liked it. But there are still many problems. So I uninstalled and put DaVinci 12.5 again.
On the return to DaVinci 12.5, simply my user and projects are gone. So I was trying to insert again through Backup that had and does not work.
I've tried importing to another computer and it works perfectly. Only in mine that does not.
So I would like to uninstall everything and install again from scratch.

Dwaine Maggart
Mac.

If you can help me, thank you very much!
Obs. I really do not understand why they no longer created a simple uninstaller, where "two clicks" were enough.

Patrick Kennedy, simply search for all references to the postgress and erase everything already would solve? I imagine there are several other linked files that are important to delete.

Thank you very much guys, I look forward to your return.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jul 05, 2017 9:14 pm

Note that before doing the following, it's critical that you have a backup of your project data.

Either/and project export drps and database backups.

Trash the /Library/PostgreSQL folder.

Trash the /Applications/PostgreSQL 8.4 and 9.5 folders. (both, if you have them, or whichever one you have)

Empty the Trash.

Restart the Mac.

Open a Mac Utilities Terminal window and type:

sudo dscl . delete /users/postgres<RETURN>

It will ask for a password. This should be your Admin password.

These steps get rid of everything PostgreSQL related.

To reinstall PostgreSQL, run the Resolve 12.5.6 or 14b4 installer (which ever version you desire to have installed), and at the Installation Type step, select the Customize button in the lower left, and tick the PostgreSQL Server checkbox, then continue the install.

This will install PostgreSQL 9.5, which is compatible with macOS Sierra, but also works with previous Resolve supported OSX versions.

To make sure the install was successful, run the Mac Utilities Activity Monitor, set to view All Processes in the View menu, and sort by the Process Name column. You should see several postgres processes running. If you see that, PostgreSQL was successfully installed.
Dwaine Maggart

guscorreia

PostThu Jul 13, 2017 6:23 pm

Thank you very much Dwaine Maggart!!!

bfirst

PostWed Apr 25, 2018 2:57 am

You sir, are the MAN. I've tried all kinds of crazy things, but your simple approach worked.

Return to DaVinci Resolve