Batch stabilization: is it possible?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Alex Potemkin

Batch stabilization: is it possible?

PostFri Jul 07, 2017 8:24 pm

I have the timeline with many short clips which should be stabilized.
Only one way to do it I can see is stabilizing them obe-by-one, which it terrible time wasting.
Is it possible to stabilize them all at once? Like "select them all and start stabilization with desired parameters"?
Alex Potemkin
http://yourphoto.nyc
http://yourphoto.biz
http://getty.yourphoto.biz
http://istock.yourphoto.biz
http://alexpotemkin.com

LukeBrown

Re: Batch stabilization: is it possible?

PostSat Jul 08, 2017 1:44 am

I agree it's a terrible waste of time as it seems the stabilizer is single threaded. I selected 4 clips and hit stabilize but found that it only stabilized one of them and the CPU usage on my quad-core never went beyond 25%.

Marc Wielage

PostSat Jul 08, 2017 2:36 am

No, I don't believe this is possible.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

rick.lang

PostSat Jul 08, 2017 3:17 am

On the one hand, I've wished for that feature too. But in reality there are differences clip to clip that may make one criteria fail on several of your clips. On the 'classic stabilize' I vary the Strength quite a bit from clip to clip to get the most stable result without having a negative repercussion where the image fails to fill the frame. I try to avoid the zoom control if possible, but sometimes do need to use it. So 'one size fits all' may not apply. At least for my event work. Controlled shoots may not have as much variety in the stabilization settings, so a batch option could be useful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Alex Potemkin

PostSat Jul 08, 2017 1:10 pm

In many cases, the differences are neglecting, and anyway, it would be faster to re-stabilizing a couple of clips then do it one-by-one.
Alex Potemkin

rick.lang

PostSun Jul 09, 2017 12:11 am

Yes it would.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostSun Jul 09, 2017 12:12 am

I've spent several hours today and almost finished stabilizing a 50 minute video with about 90 clips. Some are so easy, others you can pull your hair out trying to get the best result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Dongok Kang

PostSat Sep 16, 2017 3:26 pm

Stabilization for multiple clips is painful

I have to sit on my computer to stabilize several clips.

Are there no options to do batch stabilization?

I just want one click to stabilize each clips at once. and then want to fix some if needed.

Now I have to click stabilize button one by one. It is waste of time.

ChrisBHammond

PostSun Nov 12, 2017 7:31 am

I second this, how can I stabilize a whole timeline at once?

Jacek Brzezowski

PostMon Nov 13, 2017 6:56 am

I'd like to know the same thing - has anything change? This is ridiculous. I got dozens of clips in the timeline...

Bubffm

PostThu Feb 08, 2018 6:56 pm

Same here. Lack of batch-stabilization is one of the biggest things I have on the whichlist for Davinci.

KamacD

PostThu May 10, 2018 10:47 am

Seems this is still not possible in v15 public beta 2 :( :? :cry:

It is really very time consuming task to select each individual clip, set wanted stabilization settings and then starting stabilize and having to wait for it to finish before being able to continue with next clip...

Selecting multilple (or all) clips and applying same settings and then stabilizing them together would be a great time saver...

Sometimes, to limit number of clips to deal with, I tend to stabilize uncut footage and then cut it, but this way you stabilize also unnecessary footage, hence wasted cpu time...

Regards,
Dejan
sLOVEnia

Uli Plank

PostFri May 11, 2018 2:11 am

At least the stabiliser got much faster in R15 (with a decent GPU).

For me it is OK in Resolve, since we normally try to stabilise as much as possible with mechanical devices, so I rarely use it. But if you have different needs, have a look at Mercalli (if you are on PC). It is one of the best stabilisers out there and has batch stabilising. Plus, it can even handle RS to some degree, which Resolve can't.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

KamacD

PostFri May 11, 2018 9:42 am

Uli Plank wrote:At least the stabiliser got much faster in R15 (with a decent GPU).

For me it is OK in Resolve, since we normally try to stabilise as much as possible with mechanical devices, so I rarely use it. But if you have different needs, have a look at Mercalli (if you are on PC). It is one of the best stabilisers out there and has batch stabilising. Plus, it can even handle RS to some degree, which Resolve can't.

Hi! Thanx. This might be interesting for PROs, but probably not for most "home/amateur users", due to high cost. Resolve is free for home use with most of its functionality unrestricted. I also think it's stabilization is pretty good if used correctly.

For my (pretty basic) usage it has most of what I need (and a lot more of what I don't use), only really annoying three things for me are:

- not being able to stabilize multiple clips at once

- no way to change project's timeline frame rate after some editing being done
(it happened to me I edited whole project with 60fps source and only at rendering realised project was set to 24fps and there is no way to change that :cry:

- pretty hard/tedious to re-link source files after moving and renaming them

Some of my simple videos are on my YT channel ( youtube.com/user/shappens1 ) in case someone'd be interested.

Dejan
sLOVEnia

Alex Potemkin

PostSat May 12, 2018 1:39 pm

Uli Plank wrote:have a look at Mercalli (if you are on PC).

I agree, it is great. I'm using it. But in most situstion it's overkill, and using it for a regular needs is only time wasting and additional workflow complications.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Alex Potemkin

TechManiacHD

PostSun May 05, 2019 9:50 am

I am on Resolve 16 and would really appreciate batch stabilisation :D
Every clip still needs to be checked if the end effect is correct. If not, then make a proper corrections.
Doing first pass on one after another clip for hours is just terrible waste of time... :oops:
If Auto Color works that way, why stabilisation wouldn't? :roll:

Is it going to be introduced in v16?

cineair

PostThu May 30, 2019 5:52 am

Or at least a way to script the batch if not just selecting all the clips.
I am doing a building construction during progress with a movi pro same shots every time I go.
It would be very nice to stabilize all the clips since they all are identical in the movements. ie me and the movie walking.

PoVRAZOR

PostSun Feb 16, 2020 4:26 pm

Adding this to my wishlist too! I'm editing a vlog shot handheld on a camera without IBIS (Fujifilm X-T3), and I'm not the best spoken. So my workaround is to say what I can, pause to decide what I'm going to say next, and cut the dead time. Once edited to a music track it's not terrible, but the camera shake is very distracting. The project has 50 clips.

More specifically I'm adding translation stabilization, since perspective adds a bit too much wobble. Would be nice if I could be specific like this, stabilize everything, then review the results and see if any clips jump out at me as "stabilized weird".

Many thanks!
Mike Kasprzak | twitter.com/mikekasprzak | youtube.com/mikekasprzak | ldjam.com

BMDVR180

PostTue Mar 31, 2020 6:12 am

Batch stabilization please!
i7-7800X, RTX2080 v442.19 DCH Studio, ASRock X299 TAICHI XE, CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 64GB (4x16GB), Samsung SSD 850 PRO 512GB, WD WDS100T2X0C NVME M.2 1TB, 9TB 8-bay RAID, NEC PA242W, Win10 Pro v1903 x64, Resolve Studio 16.2.0.055, BMDPCC6K v6.8

Daniel Chabot

PostTue Mar 31, 2020 2:58 pm

You can stabilize a compound clip and it appears to keep its render when slicing. If it works for 90% of the clips, you could then slice out the one or 10 clips that need more attention. I did it on a set of three test clips. But your mileage may very.
HPZ8 Zeon(R) Gold 6242 (2 processors), 128GB RAM, Windows 10, Resolve 16.2.1016
NVIDIA Quadro RTX5000 16GB, Nvidia driver 451.48, NEXIS

MarcusJB

PostThu Apr 02, 2020 8:45 pm

Same here, I need batch stabilization every day. I do the stabilization for dozens to hundreds of clips between 5 seconds and one minute.

Everytime the same process:
1. Selecting a clip
2. open the stabilizer (respectively changing to or within the color page, in cut page I open it only once, this is already optimized)
3. selecting "Translation" stabilization mode
4. stabilize
5. wait......
6. review it and maybe change a parameter and click "Stabilize" again (which are only a few milliseconds).

So for me setting the default stabilization mode is on top of my current wish list. Because "Perspective" looks so unnatural I mostly use the stabilization modes as follows:
    Translation: 90%
    Most of the shots with handheld gimbal just need a little smoother flow
    Similarity: 9%
    Some shots just shot handheld withoud gimbal were rotating a little, here I have to switch from "Translation" to "Similarity"
    Perspective: 1%
    I guess it's even less than 1% where I have the need to use "Perspective", because nearly every movement lets shake the whole image

So my workflow would be much faster with:
1. Setting the default stabilization in the resolve or project settings to "Translation" if possible and
2. stabilize all selected (maybe pre cutted) clips at once. Then I wouldn't have the downtime for a few seconds for every clip which sums up to hours for every project.

I guess I'm not the only one who could optimize his workflow with this features. As being a software developer myself I'd say that combining these already available functions with a batch mode and a default configuration is really no big deal but has an enormous effect. 8-)

Cheers
Marcus
Windows 10 Pro (21H1)
Ryzen Threadripper 2950X
32GB RAM
MSI RTX 2080 8GB
MSI GTX 1060 6GB
Resolve Studio 17.2.2 Build 4
AOC 32" 4K U3277PWQU

Marc Wielage

PostFri Apr 03, 2020 12:56 am

MarcusJB wrote:Same here, I need batch stabilization every day. I do the stabilization for dozens to hundreds of clips between 5 seconds and one minute.

I think it's dangerous for a lot of reasons, just as trying to batch track windows would be dangerous. To me, the answer is hire an assistant and get them to do it while you're doing other things.

MarcusJB

PostFri Apr 03, 2020 5:57 am

Marc Wielage wrote:To me, the answer is hire an assistant and get them to do it while you're doing other things.

This is also a kind of update... if the assistant is doing it to the same amount of costs as the Resolve update I'm in! :lol:
Windows 10 Pro (21H1)
Ryzen Threadripper 2950X
32GB RAM
MSI RTX 2080 8GB
MSI GTX 1060 6GB
AOC 32" 4K U3277PWQU

Hendrik Proosa

PostFri Apr 03, 2020 10:26 am

Some people like to live dangerously. Some even conform automatically, not by hand. How do you know it actually worked as you expected? Better add every clip to timeline manually. Also, renders fail if you don't export and check every frame manually. Manual labor for the win!
I do stuff.

MarcusJB

PostFri Apr 03, 2020 12:16 pm

Hendrik Proosa wrote:Some people like to live dangerously. Some even conform automatically, not by hand. How do you know it actually worked as you expected? Better add every clip to timeline manually. Also, renders fail if you don't export and check every frame manually. Manual labor for the win!

I totally agree! I also check manually every frame if it is finally okay, but normally I stabilize nearly any clip anyway and that with settings I already know. The batch mode should avoid the downtime sitting in front of the PC for just 1. selecting, 2. clicking, 3. waiting.

Stabilize all clips together, which I already prepared on the timeline, with a default setting would save me at least 80% of that time. The other 20% are stabilization with different settings after checking for correctness. But that, as you know, takes nearly no time (if not changing the stabilization mode).

These maybe 30-60 minutes of automatic stabilization in one shot I could greatly use for something different, maybe selecting background music or drinking coffee... (no, no coffee... I hate coffee :lol: ).
Windows 10 Pro (21H1)
Ryzen Threadripper 2950X
32GB RAM
MSI RTX 2080 8GB
MSI GTX 1060 6GB
AOC 32" 4K U3277PWQU

cobra427

PostFri Apr 03, 2020 2:12 pm

I use batch stabilization in another NLE (many clips). It takes seconds to do (and several minutes for it to render). The result is great. It makes my clips look much more professional and much more pleasant to watch. I use the Mercalli plugin. I wish this was possible within Resolve. Great timesaver. This is holding me back to completely switch over to Resolve.
Intel i7-12700, 32 Gb, Corsair watercooling, 1 ssd for OS and NLE, 1 ssd for projects, 2x harddisk for archiving, NVidia 3080. Windows 11 2x 4k screen. Mainly 4k clips

Uli Plank

PostFri Apr 03, 2020 3:34 pm

Mercalli is great, but why not use it standalone for the clips which need it and then import those in DR?
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

MarcusJB

PostFri Apr 03, 2020 7:16 pm

Uli Plank wrote:Mercalli is great, but why not use it standalone for the clips which need it and then import those in DR?

But then you are leaving the complete workflow in DR after you have selected parts from your scenes that have to be stabilized (including the ex- and import). For me the big advantage of using Resolve is that you don't have to leave the program anymore.
Windows 10 Pro (21H1)
Ryzen Threadripper 2950X
32GB RAM
MSI RTX 2080 8GB
MSI GTX 1060 6GB
AOC 32" 4K U3277PWQU

Rick van den Berg

PostFri Apr 03, 2020 7:42 pm

Isnt it possible with python scripting?

MarcusJB

PostSat Apr 04, 2020 10:48 pm

Rick van den Berg wrote:Isnt it possible with python scripting?

Maybe someone else can answer this. I can't. I have no clue how the scripting in Resolve exactly works. But sounds like an idea.
Windows 10 Pro (21H1)
Ryzen Threadripper 2950X
32GB RAM
MSI RTX 2080 8GB
MSI GTX 1060 6GB
AOC 32" 4K U3277PWQU

Marc Wielage

PostSun Apr 05, 2020 2:41 am

MarcusJB wrote:So for me setting the default stabilization mode is on top of my current wish list. Because "Perspective" looks so unnatural I mostly use the stabilization modes as follows:
    Translation: 90%
    Most of the shots with handheld gimbal just need a little smoother flow
    Similarity: 9%
    Some shots just shot handheld withoud gimbal were rotating a little, here I have to switch from "Translation" to "Similarity"
    Perspective: 1%
    I guess it's even less than 1% where I have the need to use "Perspective", because nearly every movement lets shake the whole image

I agree with you that Translation should be the default. Once it's set by the user, it should remain that way for the duration of the project. (There are a lot of UI issues with Resolve where the user's setting should always be retained, but currently are not.)

There are many occasions where the new stabilizer won't work for me, and for very rational reasons the Classic Stabilizer works better, particularly when I can set a manual point (or more than one point). But all of that involves time, good judgement, and experimentation, which you don't get by doing a bunch of clips in a batch. And sometimes I have to go through the shot from start to end, or from end to start, or by only tracking part of the shot, in order to get acceptable results. None of this can be done by batch-processing, because there's no substitute for good judgement.

MarcusJB

PostSun Apr 05, 2020 8:53 am

Marc Wielage wrote:There are many occasions where the new stabilizer won't work for me, and for very rational reasons the Classic Stabilizer works better, particularly when I can set a manual point (or more than one point). But all of that involves time, good judgement, and experimentation, which you don't get by doing a bunch of clips in a batch. And sometimes I have to go through the shot from start to end, or from end to start, or by only tracking part of the shot, in order to get acceptable results. None of this can be done by batch-processing, because there's no substitute for good judgement.

Yes I can only agree to everything you said.

You at least have to know your footage. Just a few days ago I had a scene with a plant in the front which was moving in the wind. The default translation stabilization ends up moving the whole scene right and left but the plant stood still. :D This is one of the moments where I change to the classic stabilizer which really does a great job but also takes its time.

But when you know your pre-cutted scenes you maybe know before in which scenes the default stabilizer won't work and skip these or reset them later when it has made things worse. (At least for me...) A batch stabilization would still result in a huge time saving when having a lot of scenes.
Windows 10 Pro (21H1)
Ryzen Threadripper 2950X
32GB RAM
MSI RTX 2080 8GB
MSI GTX 1060 6GB
AOC 32" 4K U3277PWQU

mkoster

PostWed Apr 29, 2020 2:06 pm

+1 for batch stabilization
+1 for setting default stabilization mode to translation.

tuesdaythe12th

PostWed Jun 10, 2020 7:06 am

Also wishing for batch stabilization. I also noticed that after I a stabilized my clips I had to re-stabilize after adding a transition :{ . Would be great to batch stabilize... then fix the fishy ones by hand.
BMPCC 6K / ATEM MINI PRO / Win 10 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 3801Mhz, Eight-Core Processor, 16 Logical Processors / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 / NesCafe Instant French Roast

MarcusJB

PostWed Jun 10, 2020 9:40 am

tuesdaythe12th wrote:Also wishing for batch stabilization. I also noticed that after I a stabilized my clips I had to re-stabilize after adding a transition :{ . Would be great to batch stabilize... then fix the fishy ones by hand.

Yes, right... because there are more frames visible after adding a transition. I also had some "jumping" frames in the transition in the past when I accidentally forgot to do this. Great proposal!!
Windows 10 Pro (21H1)
Ryzen Threadripper 2950X
32GB RAM
MSI RTX 2080 8GB
MSI GTX 1060 6GB
AOC 32" 4K U3277PWQU

GuillaumeH

PostSat Jul 18, 2020 9:32 pm

Ok it's not yet batch stabilization but that can help some people maybe... I found a trick to set up stabilizer mode to "translation" for a bunch of clip.
1- Go to the color tab
2- Set one clip stabilizer to "translation"
3- Stabilize
4- Clear tracking point (button above stabilize)
5- Grab a still of the clip
6- Select the clips you want to setup... and apply the grade.

Seems to keep the "translation" settings.

If you have a lot of project maybe you could export the stills and use this code I wrote but didn't fully test (I stopped when I realize that "Apply grade" way was enough for me).

Code: Select all
# On which audio track is your sound and which item number is your item
track = 1
# DRX file
drx = '/Users/guillaume/Pictures/Stabilize_1.1.1.drx'
### END CONFIGURATION

# Setting up stabilizer mode to "translation"
# Do this before doing ANY color grading!
# 1- Go to the color tab
# 2- Set one clip to "translation"
# 3- Stabilize
# 4- Clear tracking point (button above stabilize)
# 5- Grab a still of the clip
# 6- Export the still
# 7- Copy/paste the DPR file in the configuration variable of the the script
# 8- Run the script in the console with Py2

import sys

sys.path.append("/Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve/Developer/Scripting/Modules")
import DaVinciResolveScript as dvr_script

try:
    resolve = dvr_script.scriptapp("Resolve")
    pm = resolve.GetProjectManager()
    proj = pm.GetCurrentProject()
    tl = proj.GetCurrentTimeline()
    mp = proj.GetMediaPool()
    rootfolder = mp.GetRootFolder()
    rootclips = rootfolder.GetClips()
    ms = resolve.GetMediaStorage()
    folder = mp.GetCurrentFolder()
    clips = folder.GetClips()

except:
    print("Open the script file and copy/paste in DVR Console :)")
    sys.exit()

# Get the item of the audio track
tli = tl.GetItemsInTrack("video", track)

print tl.ApplyGradeFromDRX(drx, 0, tli)

print
print 'End of script'
Dell Precision M3800 with MacOS Mojave
Davinci Resolve 16.2 (Free)

https://www.youtube.com/guillaumehullin

GuillaumeH

PostMon Jul 20, 2020 2:56 pm

Actually I found a better way that seems to work so far...
Unfortunatly it's only for MacOS as this is an AppleScript.
This script will automatically stabilize in "Translation", each clip one after the other.

set sysVersion to system attribute "sysv"
if sysVersion is greater than or equal to 4144 then -- 4144 is Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther)
   activate application "DaVinci Resolve"
   tell application "System Events"
      set GUIScriptingEnabled to UI elements enabled
      if GUIScriptingEnabled then
         repeat
            set dialogResult to (display dialog "Welcome to this Script for Batch Stabilize Clips
Steps:
1- Open the Color Tab,
2- Select the first clip you want to stabilize
3- Open the stabilizer tool.
4- Enter the number of clip you want to stabilize in the field below
5- Prepare yourself a cup of coffee or tea or other...
6- Press OK and drink step 5.
-- Guillaume Hullin

Number of clips:" default answer "")
            try
               set ClipNbr to (text returned of dialogResult) as integer
               exit repeat
            end try
            display dialog "The number of clip needs to be a valid integer!" buttons {"Enter again", "Cancel"} default button 1
         end repeat

repeat ClipNbr times

tell application process "DaVinci Resolve"

if exists window 2 then
                  display dialog "You need to keep only the main window of DaVinci Resolve open. Exiting Script."
                  exit repeat
               end if

if not (exists menu button "Stabilizer" of group 1 of group 1 of window 1) then
                  display dialog "Open the Stabilizer in the Color panel and re-run the script. Exiting Script."
                  exit repeat
               end if

click pop up button 1 of group 1 of group 1 of group 1 of window 1
               keystroke "Translation"
               -- simulate pressing the Enter key
               key code 36
               delay 2

click button "Stabilize" of group 1 of group 1 of window 1

delay 3

repeat until (not (exists window 2)) and (exists window 1)
                  delay 3
               end repeat

delay 2

click menu item "Clip/Edit" of menu 1 of menu item "Next" of menu 1 of menu bar item "Playback" of menu bar 1

end tell
         end repeat

display dialog "That's all folks...
Hope you enjoyed this script.
Cheers!
-- Guillaume Hullin"

end if
   end tell
   if not GUIScriptingEnabled then
      beep
      if sysVersion is less than 4240 then -- 4240 is OS X Mavericks 10.9
         activate
         display dialog "GUI Scripting is not enabled" & return & return & "Select the \"Enable access for assistive devices\" setting in Accessibility (or Universal Access) preferences and run this script again." buttons {"Open System Preferences", "Cancel"} default button "Cancel"
         if button returned of result is "Open System Preferences" then
            tell application "System Preferences"
               set current pane to pane "com.apple.preference.universalaccess"
               activate
            end tell
         end if
      else
         set scriptRunner to name of current application
         activate
         display alert "GUI Scripting is not enabled for " & scriptRunner & "." message "Open System Preferences, unlock Security & Privacy preferences, select " & scriptRunner & " in the Privacy pane's Accessibility list, and run this script again." buttons {"Open System Preferences", "Cancel"} default button "Cancel"
               tell pane id "com.apple.preference.security" to reveal anchor "Privacy_Accessibility"
               activate
            end tell
         end if
      end if
   end if
else
   beep
   display dialog "This computer cannot run this script" & return & return & "The script uses GUI Scripting technology, which requires an upgrade to Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) or later." with icon caution buttons {"Quit"} default button "Quit"
end if

John Meyer

PostMon Jul 20, 2020 4:25 pm

I would love to have batch stabilization as well. Sometimes when editing stock footage it would be awesome to apply the stabilizer to several clips at once.
Razer Blade 15 Base Model, i7 8750H, 16GB, NVIDIA GTX 1060 MAX-Q (6GB)
Resolve 17.0 Studio, DR Speed Editor

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCksjXHnGuNj5mr02vLXKxrg

Jip-Hop

PostFri Aug 14, 2020 3:33 pm

GuillaumeH wrote:Actually I found a better way that seems to work so far...
Unfortunatly it's only for MacOS as this is an AppleScript.
This script will automatically stabilize in "Translation", each clip one after the other.

set sysVersion to system attribute "sysv"
if sysVersion is greater than or equal to 4144 then -- 4144 is Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther)
   tell application "System Events"
      set GUIScriptingEnabled to UI elements enabled
      if GUIScriptingEnabled then
         repeat
            set dialogResult to (display dialog "Welcome to this Script for Batch Stabilize Clips
Steps:
1- Open the Color Tab,
2- Select the first clip you want to stabilize
3- Open the stabilizer tool.
4- Enter the number of clip you want to stabilize in the field below
5- Prepare yourself a cup of coffee or tea or other...
6- Press OK and drink step 5.
-- Guillaume Hullin

Number of clips:" default answer "")
            try
               set ClipNbr to (text returned of dialogResult) as integer
               exit repeat
            end try
            display dialog "The number of clip needs to be a valid integer!" buttons {"Enter again", "Cancel"} default button 1
         end repeat

repeat ClipNbr times

tell application process "DaVinci Resolve"

if exists window 2 then
                  display dialog "You need to keep only the main window of DaVinci Resolve open. Exiting Script."
                  exit repeat
               end if

if not (exists menu button "Stabilizer" of group 1 of group 1 of window 1) then
                  display dialog "Open the Stabilizer in the Color panel and re-run the script. Exiting Script."
                  exit repeat
               end if

click pop up button 1 of group 1 of group 1 of group 1 of window 1
               keystroke "Translation"
               -- simulate pressing the Enter key
               key code 36
               delay 2

click button "Stabilize" of group 1 of group 1 of window 1

delay 3

repeat until (not (exists window 2)) and (exists window 1)
                  delay 3
               end repeat

delay 2

click menu item "Clip/Edit" of menu 1 of menu item "Next" of menu 1 of menu bar item "Playback" of menu bar 1

end tell
         end repeat

display dialog "That's all folks...
Hope you enjoyed this script.
Cheers!
-- Guillaume Hullin"

end if
   end tell
   if not GUIScriptingEnabled then
      beep
      if sysVersion is less than 4240 then -- 4240 is OS X Mavericks 10.9
         activate
         display dialog "GUI Scripting is not enabled" & return & return & "Select the \"Enable access for assistive devices\" setting in Accessibility (or Universal Access) preferences and run this script again." buttons {"Open System Preferences", "Cancel"} default button "Cancel"
               set current pane to pane "com.apple.preference.universalaccess"
               activate
            end tell
         end if
      else
         set scriptRunner to name of current application
         activate
         display alert "GUI Scripting is not enabled for " & scriptRunner & "." message "Open System Preferences, unlock Security & Privacy preferences, select " & scriptRunner & " in the Privacy pane's Accessibility list, and run this script again." buttons {"Open System Preferences", "Cancel"} default button "Cancel"
               tell pane id "com.apple.preference.security" to reveal anchor "Privacy_Accessibility"
               activate
            end tell
         end if
      end if
   end if
else
   beep
   display dialog "This computer cannot run this script" & return & return & "The script uses GUI Scripting technology, which requires an upgrade to Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) or later." with icon caution buttons {"Quit"} default button "Quit"
end if

Hi GuillaumeH, that looks really promising! Would love to use it, but I keep getting the error:

"Open the Stabilizer in the Color panel and re-run the script. Exiting Script."

Is it still working for you? I'm on the latest version of Resolve, 16.2.5.015. Perhaps the GUI changed a bit...

How did you figure out that it must be "button 1 of group 1 of group 1 of group 1 of window 1"? If you explain how to find this, then I could hopefully fix it myself next time Resolve updates.

Cheers!

GuillaumeH

PostSun Aug 23, 2020 10:22 am

Hi,
This is the soft I use to locate the UI object: https://pfiddlesoft.com/uibrowser/

The error you are getting is because the script cannot find the "Stabilizer" button. Basically to use the script you need to open the color tab and the stabilizer tools before (the same tool you use to do the stabilization manually). Also maybe, I use Davinci in English... I'm not sure if there is translation of the program, but any other language than English will need to edit some part of the code.

dev_willis

PostSun Sep 13, 2020 9:15 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:But all of that involves time, good judgement, and experimentation, which you don't get by doing a bunch of clips in a batch. And sometimes I have to go through the shot from start to end, or from end to start, or by only tracking part of the shot, in order to get acceptable results. None of this can be done by batch-processing, because there's no substitute for good judgement.

Respectfully, I feel like "get an assistant" and "you don't need that feature anyway" aren't great answers. I always start off with the same basic settings and then check the result and see if it needs help. I do a pretty good job of managing camera shake at capture time and a lot of times it doesn't need anything extra. If it does then I'll spend more time with it. Being able to start a bunch of clips processing at once and go do something else while I wait would be a huge time-saver. Having to sit at the computer the whole time babysitting the process is just dumb. Plus, adjusting the settings after the analysis is done is much faster than the analysis itself.

It looks like scripting may offer a work-around. I'm going to explore doing it with Python and if I get it working I'll post it here.
  • Windows 10 Pro 22H2, Resolve Studio 18.5.1, Nvidia Studio Driver 536.4
  • Threadripper 3960X, RTX 3090 FE, 64GB RAM, 3x 980PRO SSDs
  • Threadripper 1920X, GTX 1070 Ti, 32GB RAM, 3x 960PRO SSDs
  • TrueNAS Mini XL+ 64TB media server
  • Mac Mini M1 project server

Marc Wielage

PostMon Sep 14, 2020 12:54 am

dev_willis wrote:Respectfully, I feel like "get an assistant" and "you don't need that feature anyway" aren't great answers.

That's not what I said. What I said is that you can't get around doing the hard work, and often stabilization requires different settings on every single clip. There's no way to do that automatically with any software on earth -- it just requires time and effort. What you ask for can't work that way.

One of the problems with asking for free advice on the internet is that sometimes, the answers you get may not be what you expected or hoped for. But it doesn't make the advice any less true.

Hendrik Proosa

PostMon Sep 14, 2020 3:43 am

And often shots with similar or essentially same movement come in batches.
I do stuff.

dev_willis

PostMon Sep 14, 2020 3:13 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:
dev_willis wrote:Respectfully, I feel like "get an assistant" and "you don't need that feature anyway" aren't great answers.

That's not what I said. What I said is that you can't get around doing the hard work, and often stabilization requires different settings on every single clip. There's no way to do that automatically with any software on earth -- it just requires time and effort. What you ask for can't work that way.

One of the problems with asking for free advice on the internet is that sometimes, the answers you get may not be what you expected or hoped for. But it doesn't make the advice any less true.

I mean, I don't want to be disagreeable but you literally said "To me, the answer is hire an assistant and get them to do it while you're doing other things." And in a few different posts your point seemed to be that such a thing wasn't possible or advisable. But, if you read my full post, I explained why it is in fact possible, advisable and helpful. There are plenty of times when manually tweaking isn't needed. You're certainly correct that it's no magic bullet but you're flat wrong that it can't work that way. Premiere does it just fine. It would be great if BMD would implement this.

GuillaumeH

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 9:09 am

dev_willis wrote:It looks like scripting may offer a work-around. I'm going to explore doing it with Python and if I get it working I'll post it here.

Originally, before going with AppleScript I was working on a Python version... here is the code I stopped on (the only thing that it does is that it set the stabilization mode to "translation" for every clip).

# On which video track are your clips
track = 1
# DRX file
drx = '/Users/guillaume/Pictures/Stabilize_1.1.1.drx'
### END CONFIGURATION

# Setting up stabilizer mode to "translation"
# Do this before doing ANY color grading!
# 1- Go to the color tab
# 2- Set one clip to "translation"
# 3- Stabilize
# 4- Clear tracking point (button above stabilize)
# 5- Grab a still of the clip
# 6- Export the still
# 7- Copy/paste the DPR file in the configuration variable of the the script
# 8- Run the script in the console with Py2

import sys

sys.path.append("/Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve/Developer/Scripting/Modules")
import DaVinciResolveScript as dvr_script

try:
    resolve = dvr_script.scriptapp("Resolve")
    pm = resolve.GetProjectManager()
    proj = pm.GetCurrentProject()
    tl = proj.GetCurrentTimeline()
    mp = proj.GetMediaPool()
    rootfolder = mp.GetRootFolder()
    rootclips = rootfolder.GetClips()
    ms = resolve.GetMediaStorage()
    folder = mp.GetCurrentFolder()
    clips = folder.GetClips()

except:
    print("Open the script file and copy/paste in DVR Console :)")
    sys.exit()

# Get the item of the audio track
tli = tl.GetItemsInTrack("video", track)

print tl.ApplyGradeFromDRX(drx, 0, tli)

print
print 'End of script'

I did not find ANŸ function in BMD for Python or Luma for stabilizing... so I guess the only way would be to go via GUI control... hence why I went the AppleScript way. Maybe you can find the same for Python?

Agent83

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 11:20 am

Simple an clear way to do this (many clips to stabilize):

I almost always need to stabilize the clips. In my work a sequence can already contain 80-120 clips. I have defined the following way:
    1. All clips are placed in a timeline with the name "stable". The clips can be of different lengths. It is important that there are no gaps between the clips. This can cause the rendering process to crash with an error message.
    2. All presets for the timeline and each clip will be disabled, such as "Cropping", "Dynamic Zoom", "Stabilization", "Retime and Scaling", "Lens correction".
    3. Each clip is added in the "Fusion Page" with a stabilization node. If you have defined the first one, you can simply copy the nodes to the clips by cut and paste.
    3. Then go to the Deliver page and export the clips as follows:
      a) Set the "Filename" that defines the prefix of the clips.
      b) Set the "Location" in which all clips are stored.
      c) Enable Option "Individual Clips"!
      d) Activate the option "File" and set the following options:
        - File uses: Custome name
        - Use unique filenames: activate/check
        - Add an unique name as: Suffix
        - rest is default setting
    4. Save the Render Job to the queue.
    5. Name the render job as: Single clips
    6. Start the render job.

Result: All single clips in the timeline are stabilized and render out to singel individual clips with one render session.
Tip: If they own Fusion Studio, they can also use the Fusion Render Nodes to perform stabilization in the background. To do this, they simply export from Davinci Resolve the timeline to Fusion and run the render job through the Render Manager and the various fusion nodes of their network. This can save a lot of time.
8-12k VR production.
ASUS Maximus Z690 Formula, I9 12900K, DDR5 64GB/5200,
2xNVIDIA P6000 24GB, 84 TB Workspace

Agent83

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 12:26 pm

My statement on the side discussion: Regardless of whether a program is offered free of charge or for a fee, it must run. Otherwise, it's simply not usable, whether you're paid for it or not. If you've paid for it, it's just a lot more annoying if it doesn't work.
8-12k VR production.
ASUS Maximus Z690 Formula, I9 12900K, DDR5 64GB/5200,
2xNVIDIA P6000 24GB, 84 TB Workspace

dev_willis

PostFri Sep 25, 2020 1:31 pm

Agent83 wrote:Simple an clear way to do this (many clips to stabilize):

Great advice! Thanks!

GuillaumeH wrote:Originally, before going with AppleScript I was working on a Python version... here is the code I stopped on (the only thing that it does is that it set the stabilization mode to "translation" for every clip).

Thanks for giving me a head start!

Marc Wielage wrote:

Hey, I came off like a jerk. I'm sorry about that. I also think my phrasing, about it not being a great answer, may have given the impression that I thought you personally should have answers. All I meant was that I disagree with your opinion that such a feature is impossible to implement and wouldn't be helpful to anyone anyway. Premiere has implemented it and I found it helpful many times (when it worked) before I switched to Resolve. Others in this thread seem to also think it would be helpful.

But really, I probably should have just kept my mouth shut all together. :|

Marc Wielage

PostSat Sep 26, 2020 2:27 am

dev_willis wrote:[I mean, I don't want to be disagreeable but you literally said "To me, the answer is hire an assistant and get them to do it while you're doing other things." And in a few different posts your point seemed to be that such a thing wasn't possible or advisable. But, if you read my full post, I explained why it is in fact possible, advisable and helpful. There are plenty of times when manually tweaking isn't needed. You're certainly correct that it's no magic bullet but you're flat wrong that it can't work that way. Premiere does it just fine. It would be great if BMD would implement this.

The truth is that whenever I use stabilization, I really look at the picture very, very carefully and I'm extremely cautious about what I'll accept and what I won't accept. The moment there's visible artifacts, I'll flip to another mode. Sometimes, I have to go through all eight stabilization modes (3 in new stabilization, 4 in Classic, plus Point Tracker vs. Cloud Tracker) before I find one that works. Sometimes it requires Interactive mode to avoid using a track reference we don't want, or occlusions where somebody walks in front of the camera and we need to avoid seeing them in the reference, or even stabilizing the clip in multiple passes -- like cutting it in half and doing first one half and then the second half. You can't do any of this as a batch process: it has to be done through trial and error, plus experience and good judgement.

And there are also cases where Stabilization just doesn't work at all, and then I hand it off to somebody else to use a completely different piece of software to do the stabilization. Generally, that can work, but it's not fast. That's also not a batch process. Every clip is different, just as every camera situation is different.

Hendrik Proosa

PostSat Sep 26, 2020 7:03 am

Just to reiterate it very slowly... to see if stabilization works, you have to first apply it. Even when doing it one by one. Batch stabilization is "apply it to all similar in batch, then check them one by one".

Marc, you are basically arguing the same logic that xml/edl import is very bad and doesn't work because it might get some cuts wrong. So better place all clips on timeline manually, because then you can check that they are right. So I guess you never use xml/edl imports?
I do stuff.
Next

Return to DaVinci Resolve