What GPU card for Mac Pro?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Michael Holmes

What GPU card for Mac Pro?

PostWed Sep 05, 2012 9:34 pm

Well, I give up on avoiding buying a reference monitor, even though much of the work goes to the Internet. I usually do a Blu-ray video (of live band performances) along with the H.264 QT movies for the Internet, and I am spending way too much time looking at the computer monitor, then the Panasonic plasma, then checking calibration, etc.………and I am still never sure.

So, I am probably going to get an FSI reference monitor and a Cubix Xpander Desktop 4 (for DeckLink HD Extreme 3D card). This then opens up a slot for a GPU card in the Desktop 4. Currently I just have an ATI Radeon HD 5770 for GUI, with all the other PCIe slots taken for: Pro Tools, external hard drive enclosure, and UAD audio plug-in card.

What GPU card (single or double width) should I get to speed things up?

Info: 2010 Mac Pro (dual quad core), DaVinci Resolve 9 Lite, FCP X, Pro Tools HD Native.

Chris Hocking

Re: What GPU card for Mac Pro?

PostThu Sep 06, 2012 12:59 am

Make sure you check out the Resolve Config Guide and that will answer most of your questions.

Your options are basically:

- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 (2 PCIe slots, 2 Aux PCIe Power)
- NVIDIA Quadro 4000 (1 PCIe slot, 1 Aux PCIe Power)
- NVIDIA Quadro FX 4800 (2 PCIe slots, 1 Aux PCIe Power)
- NVIDIA GTX 570 (2 PCIe slots, 2 Aux PCIe Power)

GTX 470 and GTX 570 can be used internally, and in a PCIe extender chassis. The GTX 480 and GTX 580 can be used in a PCIe expander chassis. Additionally, you can use the GTX 680 in an external PCIe expander if you are using Mountain Lion 10.8.0.

Michael Holmes

Re: What GPU card for Mac Pro?

PostThu Sep 06, 2012 2:10 pm

Thanks Chris, that helps a lot.
After checking through these I am looking now at this EVGA 570 card in the Xpander Desktop 4:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814130687

Any comments on the wisdom of this choice, and whether the step up to a 580 is merited?

Return to Post Production